iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beware of white paint

Started by Kcwoodbutcher, June 30, 2010, 11:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcwoodbutcher

A customer brought in several logs the other day. All the ends were sealed with what looked like white paint.  No problem, lots of my costumers paint the end of their logs. These weren't great logs either, most had been sitting in a field for a few years. I started cutting them yesterday and was having a terrible time with my blades.  One log and the blade was dull. I kept thinking there must be a lot of dirt in these old logs or my sharpening skills had waned with the last batch I did. Then last night as I was losing daylight, I put a log on the mill and when the blade hit that paint on the end of the log sparks flew. At first I thought I had hit metal or a stone but every cut after that did the same thing. I talked to the guy today and found out he had sealed the logs with Dri-Lok foundation sealer. What better to keep the moisture in? Problem is this stuff contains some type of silicate in a fairly high concentration. It's like sawing sandpaper. I felt the end of one of the log and it felt like sandpaper. The remaining logs got their ends lopped of and things went a lot better.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Qweaver

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

bandmiller2

Probibly some of that fire retardent paint they use in hospitals and nursing homes,stuff goes on like mud. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

submarinesailor

Dry lock is portland concrete in paint.  It's used to seal basement walls to stop them from leaking.

http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/masonryWaterproofer/latex.php

Bruce

Magicman

I have to be careful with fresh cut SYP logs.  That sticky sap will pick up dirt, dust, and sand when skidded out.  This sap then hardens like concrete.  Sometimes I have to lop an inch off.

Thankfully, I haven't seen Dry Lock yet.  In my area we don't have basements, so no one has it anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

regular latex paint will do the same things guys.  ::) seems when people paint the ends of logs they really dont care if they lay the brush in the sand . i always saw the stuff off before i cut the logs.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Piston

That Drylok is some expensive end sealer  :o
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

bandmiller2

As Majic says the ends of pine logs almost always collect grit standard procedure for me is to take a thin cut on each end or short logs putty knife and wire brush.Time spent removing mud and grit is time well spent even if you have that little line debarker gizmo.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Slabs

I've used Drylock, but only on masonry.  Be aware that It comes in more colors than white.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

coastlogger

Unless the log is pristine(almost never) I just knock a thin saucer off the ends of the log with a chainsaw before I start cutting.Takes maybe a minute and I believe it prolongs band sharpening interval significantly.
clgr

Buck

allright guys,  I understand this end seal concept. will regular latex do the same thing as anchor seal?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Ianab

Quote from: Buck on July 04, 2010, 07:40:11 PM
allright guys,  I understand this end seal concept. will regular latex do the same thing as anchor seal?

Not as well, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Anchorseal is a wax and is almost impermeable to moisture transfer, so the end of the log barely looses any moisture. Normal paint will slow the moisture loss, so it's of some use, but not as good.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dan_Shade

I have used anchor seal for a long time.  When I first got started, I used paint.  there is no comparison.  If I don't have anchor seal, I don't bother.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR Buck

Sounds to me like there was something other that wood in the log that caused blade damage.   $35 per blade damage.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!