iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bubbles Bubbles And More Bubbles

Started by Autocar, April 02, 2020, 07:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

On one of my skid trails here at home I noticed bubbles in a five foot area ,water was standing and they were bubbling up. This was on the tail end of Febuary Ive watched it all of March and today the water is soaking into the ground but the bubbles are still bubbling up though the mud. As crazy as it might seem I tried to light the bubbles with a little torch to see if it would flare up but nothing happened. Ive noticed in the last week the bubbles are one after the other all most making a continus row of bubbles. There are no tiles, old oil wells as far as Ive been able to find out and if it was a old stump rotting out you would think that the area wold be all filled up by now.Any ideas what I might have there ? I thought about a cave but caves are not in this area I do no that bed rock is at 16 feet.
Bill

btulloh

How big are the bubbles?  I've seen small bubbles in places like that because there were tadpoles and tiny frogs hatching. Usually there are a lot of bubbles but they're small, maybe 1/4" and smaller. 
HM126

Autocar

Half inch and the water is two three inches deep so no tap poles
Bill

WV Sawmiller

Any chance it is a seasonal spring where the water pressure is pushing up at these spots?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Oh no! its all that hot air from the south from that grits thread it penetratrated the mason Dixon line and it's moving north!  :o....

Ok, sorry for the hi jack couldn't resist it, I have no idea other a spring, but you were fairly brave in tossing a match to it.

Southside

You might have been on the right track there with the match, but the concentration was too low for combustion.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Could it not be just CO2 from decomposition rather than methane?

doc henderson

is the water stagnant, or running off somewhere.  most things that make bubbles have protein ect.  so something organic.  does it smell?  A picture might be nice.  thin, or thick with foam around it?  If you pee in the toilet and get lots of bubbles, it is a sign of excess protein in your urine.  If it was just a puddle, seems it might have dried up by now.  high ground water?  interesting.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Quote from: Southside on April 02, 2020, 09:25:27 PM
You might have been on the right track there with the match, but the concentration was too low for combustion.  
or too high a concentration.  throw in some dawn dish soap to disperse the bubbles and cover with plastic.  put a fuse through the plastic and see! smiley_fused_bomb.  prob just organic muck, but we had natural gas underground in Hutchinson about 20 years ago.  had some home explosions.  maybe hold a propane burner up to it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Autocar

The water seems pretty clean just standing water about two inches deep, It was still bubbling this morning and most of the water has socked into the ground. Started back logging today so I might miss out on whats going on. the whole trail for 40 yards has standing water in it but only that four or five foot area has the bubbles. Maybe this summer I will dig a test hole and see if the ground has any oil well smells. Just interesting to me.
Bill

barbender

My aunt and uncle have a ranch in the Powder River Basin in northeast Wyoming- you don't want to light a bubble in that country!
Too many irons in the fire

moosehunter

Quote from: doc henderson on April 03, 2020, 12:44:37 AM
  If you pee in the toilet and get lots of bubbles, it is a sign of excess protein in your urine.
The things we learn on the FF lol
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Autocar

Well I got a update on my Bubble question I took a small can and sat it over the one bubbling spot thinking that gas would build up under the can and I would light it but nothing happened . But the inside of the can smells like crude oil so I thinking it a old oil well or it will be another Beverly Hillbilly story  8) . Eather way its a pretty cool. L am thinking about later on take a metal detector to see if I can locate the old casing then maybe contact a drilling company and see if there's anything worth chasing. There use to be a lot of wells in and around this ares and I remember farms have natural gas in all there buildings but over the years they seem to do away with all of that.
Bill

doc henderson

Does your wife remind you of Elle Mae or granny... wait! do not answer that!!!  :D :D :D

Autocar

We have been married 54 years I no better then answer that one  :D :D :D 
Bill

moodnacreek

Quote from: Autocar on April 05, 2020, 05:35:41 PM
We have been married 54 years I no better then answer that one  :D :D :D
A lot of Autocars back then.

Thank You Sponsors!