iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ideas on mink trapping

Started by Part_Timer, October 26, 2006, 09:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well it's that time of year again.  The differance is that my kids will be trapping with me this season.  I'm taking the week of Thanksgiving off to start teaching my kids how to trap coons and rats. 

I've never been able to trap a mink before.  ??? ??? Jusst can't seem to connect.  I've seen 2 along a couple of dranage ditches in the last month and my daughter would like to try so she can get one tanned and hang it on the wall in her bedroom.

I'm looking for any advice anyone is willing to share.

Thanks
tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Fla._Deadheader

Them buggers is TUFF. Ya GOTTA Drown 'em. Had 2 different sets on dry land and had a Mink in each. BOTH got loose.  ::) ::) >:(

Ever do Fox or Coyote's ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

asy

This is another asy_don't_understand_stuff type question...

Do you eat mink?

Are they sorta like a ferret thing?

Are they a pest to your land/crop/beasts?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

beenthere

When I was a young boy, our neighbors raised mink and fox for fur. The mink meat was cooked for the fox, and maybe the fox meat was as well. No one eats the meat that I know of, and there is even less there than on a thin squirrel.  Trapping is mostly for the fur which is just leather with the hair still on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

So...

If ya don't eat them, and they aren't a pest, why are ya hunting the wild ones???

I wouldn't have thought one animal would be enough to do anything useful, they're quite small, aren't they?

Part_Timer

ASY

This is another asy_don't_understand_stuff type question...

Do you eat mink? (I don't but I suppose if you were hungry it might be better than grinners)

Are they sorta like a ferret thing?(yep only chocolate brown )

Are they a pest to your land/crop/beasts? (not realy but sometimes.  Think mink coat)

Mink are high on the sneeky smart list.  At lest smarter than me.  ;D  Zac has trapped with me but I quit when Taylor was just a baby so it's time to teach her.  I see trapping as a survival skill.  If you can trap you can put meat on the table when necessary.  Not all of it is high on the table fair list but food is food.  I've trapped rabbits,squirrels,coons,grinners,coyotes and muskrats.  I'd like to get a fox and a mink yet and I sure would like to try my hand at pine martin and fisher someday.

Is there trapping over there?  How much do you know about it?  Just wondering so I can give you better answers.  If I can, I'm sure no expert just lucky sometimes.

Deadheader
I've snared a few coyotes but I've not had any sucess with land sets on them.  I'd like to have a fox hide for the wall also.  Maybe this year.

I use #11 double jaws for coons along with bucket sets(220 conies) and snares.  I use conies(110) for rats and hopefully minkses.  

Have you ever done any snaring before?
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Hiya Part-Timer,

We do have trapping over here, I believe.

I know nothing at all about it, which is why I ask so many dumb questions.   ;) ;D ;)

What sort of traps do you use?

I've heard there's different types, like the ones that are like a box and just trap the animal, they seem OK (well, OK in proportion to the others) and there are ones that are like a set of jaws, they just look frighteningly barbaric.

SwampDonkey

overturned pale with bows over it. Toss an open sardine can in it, and rig up a conabear trap. You'll probably catch a few coons anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

A 1 1/2 on a slide wire drowning set or a 120 for late season with freeze ups is what we use up here for trapping mink.
They will also go into a baited funnel trap.

asy, mink and other fur bearing animals are trapped and sold through auction houses in sorted lots.
They are considered a renewable resource and a royalty must be paid to the government on each animal.
It's important to trap the animal as humanely as possible and not over trap an area that might have an affect of sustainability on the resource.
You can do that by harvesting a higher percentage of males over females and manage an area which will always maintain a healthy population of animals.

Fla._Deadheader

Snares are too gruesome for me.  ::) ::)

Well set traps are very humane. I caught lots of Fox and never caught a dog. Caught Wild domestic cats, too. Them were ALL scary wild.  :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

If you get muskrat they make an great lure for them. Drive a hefty stick in the ground next to the water and hang a skinned carcass from it. Use the set next to it Kevin mentioned. One of my favorites for mink is a live trap too small for coons to get into baited with the same. The  only downside to these sets is you'll catch way more skunks than mink.

They have a beautiful pelt, catch enough of em and have it made into a new coat for Katie.

asy

Interesting info, thanks guys.

I must say, I'm interested in trapping because the National Parks guys have said that we may have to trap wild dogs on  the farmy. That or bait them.

I can't stand the thought of bait, it's an ugly death and there's no guarantee that the dogs will be the only ones that eat it.

I have no problem with cage-trapping, so long as the animals are then killed humanely. I'll be looking into having some phenobarbitol on hand if I'm allowed. That way I can put them down myself without any pain...  I guess a rifle (at short range) would also do the same job, but we haven't made a decision on the gun question yet...

pigman

asy, if you have to take phenobarbitol to be able to put an animal down without causing you pain, maybe you should let someone else do it. ;) Don't take too much of that stuff, it could kill you. :o

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

asy

hehe thanks for the tip pigman!

I always appreciate your advice.

Part_Timer

Swampdonkey  I use a square bucket with notches in the side and put a 220 in it for coons.  Works well. I get the ocassional grinner, I've never got a skunk in one though.  Now watch that's all I'll catch now that I've said it out loud. ;D ;D

Kevin  maybe I'll get a piece of culvert pipe the size for 120's and lay it alongside the bank,with a bit of water in it? cover it in mud and leaves and put a 120 in each side.  Maybe one of them rats in the middle. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  At least until it freezes.  What is a funnel trap?

Norm  I'll try that drowning set with bait also ( the KN set.  Kevin/Norm set)  I'll let you know how it works.  Katie doesnt' want a coat but shoe would like to have one full mounted and in the living room.

Deadheader I've caught a lot of dogs but it seems like everyone around here thinks it is ok to have a dog and just let it run all over creation.  They cause lots of problems. 

Snares are a bit (different).  It is a touchy subject so I won't go into it here but like I said we (Katie and I ) see it as a survuval skill and we do teach it to the kids in the boyscout troup with their parents permission; as part of the wilderness survival merit badge.

Now that I've seen them maybe we can catch one.  They are fun to watch.  Looks like a submarine with the parascope up.  I watched one for about 10 minutes one morning going from rat hole to rat hole looking for breakfast.

Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Well, I guess, with regards snares or bitey traps, If you're starving, and this is the only way to get food for your family, then I can understand it. I can understand the teaching of it for the above purpose.

I'd hate to hear of it being done 'for fun'.

Does that make sense? It's just my thoughts... too...

beenthere

Asy

You may think Pigman was joking. But after your first attempt to give a wild dog a shot with a needle while in a trap, you will understand that maybe he wasn't. :)  And I suspect shooting them in the trap will be easier then too, or putting the trap in the pond. The "wild domestic cat" in the trap, as mentioned, is truly a scary thing to witness. Wild dogs may be calmer.
I used to think drowning was not humane, but no longer think that way. I think it's "lights out" pretty quickly.  My preferred method, and a lot 'cleaner' than shooting.  

I doubt anyone is doing it 'just for fun'. My opinion anyway.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

asy

'for fun' was probably the wrong phrase.

No offence was meant.

I meant for a reason other than sustenance.

does that make sense?

beenthere

I think I get the idea what you are getting at, and I don't try to judge what others decide to do.  If they want to just call it a sport, fine by me. I kill flies, buy I refuse to eat 'em.  :)

In our country and surrounding area, someone will soon have to come to grips with a growing problem with wild geese. They are increasing by leaps and bounds as they have an endless food supply and essentially no 'enemies' or controlling limits (such as food and habitat). 
south central Wisconsin

PawNature

Diddo on the drowning. If you can't set your trap where there is water you are pretty much wasting your time. "With mink that is."
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

asy

hehehe Beenthere, I LOVE the fly comment.

Thanks!!!

Kevin

The thing with mink is the bait must be kept fresh and they investigate every little nook and cranny.
Under any overhanging bank along a river or stream is a good place.
The problem with water sets is the fluctuating water levels during the rain days.
Funnel traps are a cage traps that can be set submerged in small channels with a dive pole causing the animal to dive under the water and into the cage.
The door swings one way and the animal becomes trapped inside.
These are generally used for muskrat but mink will investigate them when baited.

gary

PawNature

It be a possum. Least wise that what they are called in these parts.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

farmerdoug

Asy,

I understand where you are coming from on the killing.

I feel similar on the subject when it comes to antihunters.  I tell them that I agree that you should only kill what you eat too.  So I am dead against slaughterhouses.  My cousin works in one and he kills thousands of beef and pigs a year.  He does not eat any of the meat so I think they should shut down the saughterhouses also.  Let the city folks find their own meat. ;)

I guess I can get a little bent out of shape over food sometimes. ::)

No offense Asy just hearing an all to familar arguement.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

asy

HAHAHHA Good one! I like that about the city dwellers, it's funny :D

I'm not a militant, I'm not spouting ya-should and ya-shouldn'ts, I'm just asking how things work.

I guess if I had to be honest, I don't *really* like the idea of killing animals for no reason other than amusement. If they're going to be used, either for meat (for someone) or such then I'm fine with it, or if they're threatening livelihood (killing lambs, for example) then I'm fine with it too.

But, hey, I always ask questions, that way I learn more.

You don't have to agree with me, just like I don't have to agree with you, doesn't mean we can't still be friends. :)

Kevin

The land only has so much carrying capacity.
There's only so much territory and food for a certain number to thrive.
I would compare it to knowing how many people you can afford to house and feed in your own home, if you added ten times more then you can imagine the problems when the food and space become limited.
It's all about managing what you have and keeping the numbers healthy without damaging the population.
Conservation is the WISE USE OF , to use without using up.

farmerdoug

Asy,

I am not trying to criticize your beliefs either.  It is just in this country they are trying to stop just about anything that involves harvesting a nature or wild product.  This being hunting, trapping, fishing, gathering frobs or even cutting trees.  Nature produces an bountiful harvest but many people think that you can just let it pile up forever.  Even hunters and fishermen can be guilty of this as some complain that if they do not see hundreds of deer or fish the DNR is bad.  There is a limit to the carrying capacity of the land.  If there is to many deer then starvation or disease will lower the herd number.  In the UP of Michigan there is often a winter deer kill.  Starvation is a slow death that is very non selective of its victims.  Let's say that there is a 1000 deer in an area but in a normal winter the habit can only support 500 deer.  In the spring after a starvation there may only be 100-200 deer because the extra deer ate all of the food then all of the deer starved til spring.

This goes with most animals.  Two winters ago the Squirrels around here starved because of a heavy winter and no nut crop.  Last year the nut crop was a bumper one but the squirrel population is still down.  They starved two winters ago and it takes awhile for them to come back.  If the hunters would have shot more then maybe they would made it through the winter better on the limited food supply.

Asy, I hope we are still friends too.  I always value friends who can stand up for them selfselves and know their point of view.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Part_Timer

Kevin  I understand we just call them colony traps.

Ays- we sell the furs at an auction.  Glad to hear your of the;your opinion is yous mine is mine but we can still be friends.  Not to many folks like that left around anymore.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Kevin

The colony traps are generally square, the funnel traps are round, have funnel shaped ends and are considerably larger but serve the same purpose.

asy

FarmerDoug and Kevin,

I understand totally, Maybe I need to rethink my thunking on it all.

I certainly agree that a quick shot is MUCH better than starving to death over winter. Irrespective of whether the beast will be utilised or trophied.

One more question...  How does a hunter know when enough's enough? To use Doug's example, if the habitat can support 500 deer, it certainly seems *logical* that 500 (from the initial 1000) be culled rather than starve, BUT, how do the hunters (en-masse) know to stop at 500? What happens to the ongoing population if the hunters keep going until there's only 250? or 100, or worse? Similar to what's happened with a lot of the large game in Africa?

I know the majority of the board members are against government regulation of anything, and I certainly think the government (all of them, yours, ours, etc) have too much regulation going on, but aside from that point...

Who governs what the sustainable level is? Who says "OK, STOP now", or, "OI! Stop shooting the xxxx, they're under sustainable levels"?

Does that happen? Would the 'season' be stopped if there were deemed to have been too many of them killed?

Just askin', coz that's how I learn.

farmerdoug

Asy,

You have a point on the numbers taken.

First saddly most hunters are lazy around here so I doubt that the deer will be seriously deplete by the average hunter and the DNR do have control on the doe kill by the amount of tags issued.
Secondly the only way I see a serious depletion of animals if there is a legal market for them.  Trapping is the only one that has a legal market that could allow a depletion if the prices rise high enough to encourage it.  But here the DNR requires sealing and counts so if the harvest is high they can adjust the seasons next year.

I think a majority of the animals hunted to extinction or close came from unlimited market hunting.  Animals that were in that boat once upon the time here were deer, pigeons, geese ducks, (passenger pigeon, Buffalo, these two are saddly extinct) etc.  With the proper seasons and controls most came back and are in better shape today than any time in the past.  Heck the cars and trucks around here probably kill more furbearing animals than the hunters and trappers do each year.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Kevin

The trappers work on a quota system up here.
There are two types of trapping, private and crown land.
The ministry of natural resources is responsible for setting quotas and they also monitor the sustainable levels .
Game birds and game animals are managed in the same fashion.
The problem we have now is with an over populated bear population that are causing damage and moving into the cities for food.
The bleeding hearts got the Spring bear hunt stopped so now people just shoot them and drag them off into the woods to rot.
That's what happens when politics gets mixed into resource management.

Part_Timer

Asy

I'll use racoons as an example.  We go into our areas before the season opens and do a rough count on the amount of sign (footprints) we see on the riverbanks and fencerow runs.  That way we know about how many animals are in the area.  Then when we start to trap we take about 1/2 the animals then go to the next area. That way we are not over harvesting any one area.    There is no "limit" on racoons in Indiana so it is up to each individual to practice good stewardship. 
Peterson 8" ATS.

Part_Timer

Oops sorry kevin I almost forgot.  Thanks for clearing it up I understand now.  I might have to try and make one if I don't run out of time.
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Thanks for explaining guys, I'm understanding more now.

Kevin, I'm not a bleeding heart as such, just someone who doesn't understand and is trying to.

Must admit, I'm certainly coming around to the view that it seems SUSTAINABLE hunting is not only OK, but in some ways good for the animal population.

Of course, I'm still against the type of illegal poaching/hunting that still occurs in Africa, but then I suspect you guys are too.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: asy on October 30, 2006, 09:15:45 AM

Of course, I'm still against the type of illegal poaching/hunting that still occurs in Africa, but then I suspect you guys are too.

People have been poaching here also. Bear galls, elk and deer antler and so on. I've seen video of tractor trailor loads of antlers confiscated by authorities.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Where there is money to be made, there will be people trying to go after it. That is what supports poaching.
Hunters are not for the most part, violaters nor poachers. If its illegal to do (sell parts for example), hunters don't. Part of the fun, is to hunt within the legal limits (and stretch them a bit at times  :) ).
In all society's there are the violaters, that shouldn't be confused with those who function well together. Hunters have long been known to be the biggest conservationists of the animals and the land. I could ramble on more, but hope the point is taken.  :)

I like the open mind Asy has and the questions she asks.
south central Wisconsin

asy

Quote from: beenthere on October 30, 2006, 10:25:43 AM
I could ramble on more, but hope the point is taken.  :)

I like the open mind Asy has and the questions she asks.

The point is very much taken, you've succeeded in changing my mind. Go, hunt, enjoy. :D

Thank you for the compliment. I like asking questions, coz I like learning. "The only stupid question is the one not asked".

My granddad said "The best sign that someone is intelligent is that they are curious about all things.

Smart man, that.

Kevin

asy;
I would never insinuate that you or anyone else here is a bleeding heart, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
Trapping needs to be regulated, no doubt about that.

asy

Kevin , I never thought you were having a go at me...   :-*

I have beliefs, but sometimes they are based on incorrect assumptions, that's why I like understanding people. I can change my beliefs.

farmerdoug

Asy,
I have little like for poachers too.  In poachers I mean people that kill illegally for profit or fun.  We had a large poaching ring busted around here in the early 80's.  It involved some 30 people who jacklighted deer to sell in Detriot.  We also have had a couple of guys that were busted for jacklighting deer for fun.  They just shot the deer and dumped them in their field behind their barns.  This was two years ago across from our other farm down the road.  The neighbors complained of the smell in the spring.  The DNR found 150 deer carcasses in their field.  They even threatened the officers for trespassing(miltilia).  They told the Judge that it was their land and the DNR could not convict them as they were tresspassing.  The Judge had a good laugh out of that one. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

asy

Kevin

QuoteLast evening there were two reports of a bear in the area of Royal York Boulevard.

In one of the incidents the bear was eating garbage.

The sightings were both reported between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Where's Jeff when you need him?  :-\

farmerdoug

Asy,

Sorry about that.  I forget that terms can be a local thing.

Jacklighting is shining at night with a spotlight or headlight.  Most poachers are lazy so it is done from a vehicle.  The deer eyes shine went they look into the light for easy targets and it locks them up and they just stare at the light.  Alot of guys do it just to see what bucks are around which has legal hours outside of November in Michigan.  It is the poachers that do it to shot deer.  Kind of kihe shooting fish in a barrel.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Murf

Trapping????   ???

What in tarnashin fer? No need at all .......

Last time I went south fer a few days fishin wit da boys I came home ta find my meeesus wrapped in em', sez dey just follered her home from da store.  ::)

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Part_Timer

If they'd follow the wife home I wouldn't be looking for a better way to trap em.
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Thanks for explaining for me FarmerDoug.

It sounds a particularly unsportsmanlike way to behave.

Murf, I reckon your wife's pretty DanG smart, NOT ONLY does she get the furs to follow her home, but ALSO stitch themselves into a jacket!!!

How clever is THAT?

Murf

Asy, when I saw that jacket I had a stitch too!!  :o

She said it was only fair, I have sheepy skins seat covers in da plane.  ::)

Somehow I don't see 4 sheepy skin seat covers as equaling a mink coat, but I'm jis' sayin'...

:D  :D  :D

Part_Timer

Murf

You ought to be happy she figured it that way.  If she went on the count you'd still be three ahead and she'd be looking for 2 more coats and a hat.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Murf

Owwwww, good point.  :o

Thanks fer dat one.   :D

inspectorwoody

I think ya'll will get a kick out of this.... ;)

Yesterday my girlfriend and I were on our way to her place. I passed an intersection and noticed a long fury lil' creature in the middle of the road and it appeared to be alive so I turned around to investigate. Indeed it was alive and appeared to be hangin' out in the road. One car stopped just before it, waiting for it to move and when it didn't move they just straddled it. By this time I could see it was a mink and didn't care to see it get smashed so on went the gloves and out the car I went. He seemed weak or injured but when I picked him up he came alive!  :D I got him to the ditch and let him go but not before he had his way with my hand!  :D Thank goodness for gloves. Fiesty lil' booger!  ;D

Never have trapped but have always been interested in it. I like to hunt and fish. Maybe ya'll could pass on some tips for a beginner.

Gadget

asy

WHat for trap them, if they just come out onto the road and sit waiting for you to catch them...?

Very convenient!

farmerdoug

I can tell you the first rule in trapping mink. ;D

Never pickup a live mink. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Part_Timer

I don't think that will be to much of a problem.  Could you imagine him coming to in side the cab of the truck.

Season starts in a week.  I ordered some new snare making material and a few fix it parts for some conibears.  The kids hulled some walnuts last week and we have the traps died. 

Fox and coyote season is in now and I saw a grey run in the fence row last night on the way to work.  I'm gona see if Taylor can't get him this week.  I'll keep ya updated.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Burlkraft

Is she gonna drown it with her Super Soaker  ???  ???  :D   :D   :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

what's coyote taste like?  ;D

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

Quotewhat's coyote taste like?

...Bald Eagle.

Jeff

They must taste good to ravens. A flock of ravens led me to this rather gruesome site when I was bear hunting.  They weren't trapped. They were shot, skinned and then dumped back in the boonies. Not far enough as I still found them.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

What are they? I assume coyotes by the thread, but just wanted to check.

Is this sort of thing legal?

Jeff

Yea, they're yotes, and no, dumping the carcases on public land (or any land other then a landfill) is not legal.

asy

Can the carcases not be used for something? Maybe dog food or such???

Is it legal to shoot them? If not, how would they get rid of them, as I can see taking an illegally shot animal to landfill might pose a problem... I guess they could bury them?

Jeff

It is legal to hunt and shoot them. They are a real problem in a lot of areas.

SwampDonkey

Those mink are sometimes quite brave. We were fishing in an area that was about as far away from civilization as you could get in any direction. We had walked for hours it seemed up over a hill then came down through a boulder field following the path of deer to the far end of a small lake. At that place were some springs coming out of the woods edge into the lake, the water was cold there. There was also one of those floating mossy islands and in under the shade of that were brook trout up to 5 lbs in size. Anyway I was fishing away and had caught 5 or 6 trout that I strung up and laid on the shore. I went back to fishing and I here this animal making grunting noises. I turned and there is a mink at my string of trout. I grabbed a stick of driftwood and threw it at the varmet and he fled, but not before he sunk his nasty teeth into one of my trout.  >:( I think the biggest trout I brought from there was 20 inches.  smiley_smug01  I was sure glad to see the truck though, that was too much like working.  My poor old grandfather in his 80's out there fishing with me. :D

Burlkraft

Come on SD he just wanted to help you share the wealth.... ;D ;D

Kevin

asy;
Coyotes are so full of a variety of disease you wouldn't want anything domestic to eat them.

Part_Timer

OH come on Kevin you know a good helping of grits will kill them diseases.
Peterson 8" ATS.

SwampDonkey

I go through a loaf of corn bread, with raspberries baked into it, every other day. I wonder if that will help? I bet it tastes a lot better. ;D

Part_Timer

Man oh man that sounds good.  Katie wants a recipe.  Now I have to go find some breakfast and fast, 

I've never had a mink try to take my fish before but I've  had a moose hunting outfitter try to steal my sausage at breakfast before. :) I threw a wet boot at him.
Peterson 8" ATS.

farmerdoug

PT

A friend of mine that is a long time trapper and use to be a fur buyer told me a thing or two to tell you.

He said mink are a curious critter.  They will check every hole and hiddy spot alot a ditch or stream they across.  But they have a large territory so they will be through only once every week or two.  He likes to target mink with hole sets dug at water level in ditches.  A little lure scent or bait will help but will also attract coon etc.  Culverts are good too if the water is not too deep.  If the ditch or strem is small and shallow you can narrow it up a bit and make a runwat set also.  I hope this helps a little.  Mink can be hard to target and most are incidental catches when trapping other furbearers.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Burlkraft

Hey Tom.....

Don't cha know that they sell them minks at the store already skinned  ???  ???   smiley_gorgeous

Fla._Deadheader

Forgot about it, but, I know of an excellent trapping forum, if yer interested. These guys are SERIOUS.  ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Part_Timer

Farmer Doug  Thanks I'll give it a try.  I also found a trapping site where tehy showed a 110 in each end of a plastic pipe set along the bank with a bunch of stuff thrown over it to help make it look more natural.  Tell your friend I said thanks for the help.  The kids are so fired up this will be a blast.  I can't wait for one of them to fall head first in the ditch. :o :o :o  Rights of passage and all.   :D :) :)

FDH  I'll take all the help we can get.  I need to get up in the loft and get my fleshing board out.  I found a couple of good sites.  One of them is mostly snaring and there are some of the coolest pics of a guy that traps wolves in AK.  The only problem I've found with most of the sites is they don't compress their pics like we do and man is it SLLLLOOOOOWWWW.  I surf them mostly at work.  Full T-1 line. 8) 8) 8)

Burlkraft.   no_no  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider
Peterson 8" ATS.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Part_Timer on November 11, 2006, 06:42:43 PM
The kids are so fired up this will be a blast.  I can't wait for one of them to fall head first in the ditch. :o :o :o  Rights of passage and all.   :D :) :)

::) ::) Reminds me of when my brother and I got our first fishing poles from grandpa for our birthdays. Our birthdays are 1 week apart. Anyhow, we went up to a small brook with a deep hole where the brook passed under a bridge to the other side of the road, it gouged out a hole. I was sitten on the side of the road and it was gravelly. My brother walked in front of me where I was fishing and...  ::) my foot slipped in the gravel and  ::) out into the brook he went landing on his back first. Of all the cursing and blat'n and splash'n to get out of  ::) 3 feet of water. My dad laughed so hard I thought he'd have a coronary. Still laughs when I bring it up.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Here ya go. This forum is secured, because of the ANTI's everything. Guy named Jim runs the place. Contact him and tell him that Harold in Fl sentcha.  ;) ;)

Click here
   First, it is ridiculed;

Part_Timer

Thanks FDH  That is a cool sight.  Im registered and reading like crazy.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Robert R

Y'all think catching skunks is a bad thing.  Their are one of the most profitably animals on the trapline if you sell the skunk juice too.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

TW

I saw that ideas for minktrapping were asked for.

I would say a mousetrap. ;D
A friend got a mink in the mousetrap in his basement. The mink was killed instantly.

He is too economical to buy enough factory made mousetraps. :D :D I am glad he is.

Wild minks are a real pain here. They do not belong to the natural fauna and have no other enemies tha humans. Those dang animals multiply like...minks and eat like...minks. smiley_furious smiley_furious smiley_hanged. People do their best to extinct them but with little sucsess. Though they manage to keep down the number of them.

End of rambling and rant

SwampDonkey

Robert? You gonna squeeze the juice?  ::)  ;D

SwampDonkey

I could see a weasel  moving in the basement, they catch mice and rats. Had them around the potato sheds cleaning out the bin of rodents. You see him go in one hole at the bottom and then all the sudden he'd up there 20 feet on a cross beam on the hunt.  ;D

thurlow

Some ex-major league ballplayer.........Bo Belinsky, I think........usta tell about their place being overrun with rats when he was a teenager.  His folks blocked off all the (rat) holes but two; borrowed a ferret and put it in one hole and stationed him at the other with a baseball bat.  Directly here comes a terrified rat out; he swung and missed;  here comes another; he swung and missed.  Musta missed 50 of 'em.  Finally here comes one slow and cautious; just sticks his head out;  Bo nailed him...........................it was the ferret;  decided he was a pitcher, not a hitter. 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Robert R

I cut the glands out and save them till I have a bunch and then go far away from home and extract with a syringe.  Brings $10 to $15 an ounce and you can get 1 to almost 2 ounces from a skunk.  Add that to the $4 or $5 you can get for the pelt and they are more valuable than a coyote or fox hide.  Wear old clothes you can burn and nitrile gloves.  Use only glass bottles and discard the syringe.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Onthesauk

Robert, who do you sell to and what is it used for?  Can't imagine what you would buy it for.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Robert R

You can sell it on just about trapping forum.  Folks use it in making lures and baits.  Most trapping supply stores will buy it from you or trade for merchandise.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

SwampDonkey

smiley_smelly_skunk

Nasty stuff. One of them jobs that someone has to do, as long as it ain't me. ;)

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on October 26, 2006, 10:10:39 PM
  Ever do Fox or Coyote's ??

I've heard that Pigs is smarter than coyotes but I don't believe it. I think them coyotes is smarter than most anything in the wild.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Murf

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 22, 2006, 02:28:44 AM
smiley_smelly_skunk

Nasty stuff. One of them jobs that someone has to do, as long as it ain't me. ;)

Where's that Mike Rowe feller from TV?   ::)

Boy have we got a "Dirty Job" fer him this week!!   :D

SwampDonkey

That old skunk's gonna start jump'in when Robert puts the squeeze on with his juicer. We might end  up calling for Super Dave Osborne. ;D

I used to love those 'Bizarre' shows. :D :D

Murf

Nah Donk, it's more of a Red Green & Bill Smith (the silent klutz) type of a job.  :D  :D

"Ah Bill, I'm not sure that's a possum."

"Oh my, nope, no, Bill, I'm *sure* now that wasn't a possum!!!"

Robert R

This is off topic of the thread but I just caught my first coyote this morning.  Interesting thing was that I also caught a red fox about 5 feet from him.  I wish I knew the order of events there. 

BTW, that skunk thing isn't as bad as it sounds provided you are very careful and have very steady hands. 
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Part_Timer

Well so far trapping season is a bust.  taylor caught a coon in a snare the other night.  She asked if she could hava a full body mount so I called a guy at work that is learning and he said he'd make me a deal if I would come down to his place and help him catch a few coons for practice so Sunday class begins.  We also caught a squirrel in a conni this morning. 

We're butting heads with the deer hunters so we've backed out for a bit.  We move to another ditch in two weeks.  It should be better. 

Zac found a hole in the bank of the river under a washed out tree   He crawled down under it and made a set and almost went in.  I laughed so hard I just about went in.  We may not be cathing much fur but we're having fun.

Peterson 8" ATS.

Terry Dean

Quote from: asy on October 27, 2006, 11:29:59 AM
'for fun' was probably the wrong phrase.

No offence was meant.

I meant for a reason other than sustenance.

does that make sense?

Hey all.
I've been trappin since early childhood and now enjoy it with my daughter (9) and my son (4). They both love it. Especially my daughter. Every summer when it starts to grow unbearably hot she will say, dad, I sure wish November 4 would come quicker, I miss trapping allready. Ha ha. Anyway, we do it both for fun and Profit.

Thank You Sponsors!