iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2050 Oil Pump

Started by bubbleboy, October 20, 2006, 10:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbleboy

Hi....Have a Jonsered 2050 that has been sitting a while. Starts no problem but very minimal oil getting to the bar. If it sits a while some oil will leak out the bottom. Would I be correct in assuming that the pump is probably gummed up? Does this happen with these? Is there something else I need to be looking at? If it is gummed up what do you clean it with or do I need a new pump. Hoping someone can help......Thankyou

Tom

Welcome to the forum, bubbleboy.  There will be some real mechanics sign on later, I'm sure.  Here is a suggestion of something to look at.  Clean the groove in the bar and the hole in the bar that the oil gets pumped through.  The oil is picked up from that groove by the bottom of the chain.  If it's plugged the oil can't get there.

bubbleboy

Hi Tom...Thanks for that. It has a brand new bar and chain fitted. I unscrewed the metal plate that covers the channel that the oil travels up from the pump to the bar and it is clean also. There is a black rubbery type plug that sits in there too which is also clear. I can see a little oil is leaking out of the hole in the oil pump. I am thinking the pump is gummed up but I wanted a second opinion from someone with experience. I have just finished a small engines course and this is my own chainsaw so although I have a little knowledge I dont have a lot of practical experience. Hoping to suck that out of you guys!  ;D

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. What are you using in the chain oil tank? Is it clean chain lube? I have seen everything from ATF to used diesel crankcase oil.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kevin

Quotebrand new bar

Might be the wrong bar and the oil holes between the bar and saw don't line up.

bubbleboy

Hi Guys...thanks for your replies. You wouldnt believe what the problem was. I striped the pump out and cleaned it all. Everything looked ok. Assembled it and still no oil! The only thing I could think of was a blockage in the oil tank although when I blew the area with compressed air oil came out. Still scratching my head I thought maybe there is no vent in the cap. As far as I can see there is no vent in the cap? Is this right?
Anyway I removed the cap and I could see a black plastic thing sticking up in the oil tank. I removed the cap and rope spring assembly and pulled this thing out with pliers. It was a spare? cap string and spring! As soon as I pulled this out oil poured out of the hole. Obviously this was blocking the oil outlet hole. Cleaned it up, assembled it and hey presto there is amounts of oil being flicked off the chain all over the place! Is this normal to have a spare one of those in the oil tank? I wouldnt think so! Any way I am happy now and thanks to you all for the welcome. Hope I can help someone on here one day  8)

Kevin

There should be just the cap with an attached Y looking plastic retainer.
The oil and fuel caps are similar.
There shouldn't be anything else in the tank other than bar lube.

bubbleboy

Hi Kevin...thats what I thought. Some how another of those string things has gotten in there. Are the oil/fuel caps supposed to have air vents?

Kevin

The fuel vents may not be in the cap, sometimes there's a valve located elsewhere but leading from the tank.
Your oil tank might require pressure build up within the tank and because it's continuous flow there may not be a vent on it, I'm not that familiar with the jonsered saws.

Thank You Sponsors!