iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

River bottom tree?

Started by Magicman, June 23, 2018, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I saw these trees at a city park campground yesterday at Pine Bluff, AR.  They were among Cottonwoods and Box Elders.

The bark was relatively soft and the edges were easily broken off by hand.  It's not a Hickory, Elm, Ash, or Basswood.

I took my knife point and dug through the outer bark.  The cambium had a powerful and very pleasant odor.  This is not a quiz, I want to know.  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bluthum

Looks like Sassafras albidum. Can't see the leaf pics well but if they have anywhere from 1-3 lobes than it's probably sassafras. Great wood to work with.

Texas Ranger

My first thought was Sassafras, but, MM, you (should) know that smell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

sassafras, makins for root beer..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bwstout

when I was a kid mama would have us dig up the roots of a sassafras tree and scrap them like taters and she would boil them and we would have Sassafras Tea for supper. "the good old days"
home built mill

Magicman

Oh no, surely I did not overlook and make that mistake.  ::)  The bark is right and I do see a lobe on a couple of the leaves.  I did tell you that it had a very pleasant odor, it did, and TR you are right, I should have known.  :)

One of the trees was easily over 30" dbh.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Sassafras, by golly!

Yellowhammer is gonna wanna go cut it down and saw it.  He saws a good bit of it.  For, me, I have never sawn any.  They don't typically grow to log size in this area. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lawg Dawg

They only get about 4" round here, but makes good tea
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Don P

"poor man's oak" is one name I came across, it also makes a good chestnut substitute and is rot resistant as well. I've only sawn a few, they rarely get to good size here, usually on sweeter soils. We also get a sasafrass borer followed by ants when they get to be of any size so most big ones are hollow.

Magicman

I doubt that I have ever sawn over ½ dozen and it's not something that I regularly see although when I see one on my property I know what it is. 

I let this one bamboozle me.  smiley_dizzy

WDH

I hate it when I get bamboozled :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Gentlemen, if being bamboozled is the worse that happens to you this month, you are blessed.  Just don't let the bamboozle take up residence!  MM, identity of some of this stuff is interesting and can reach up a grab all of us, except Danny, the man is uncanny. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I would say that this got my goat but I don't want to Butt in on some other Goat's territory.  :D

firefighter ontheside

I would never have recognized the bark, because like others our sassafras here doesn't get very big.  Can't mistake the leaves though and the smell of the leaves when crushed.  I've been camping in a river bottom this week.  Lots of hackberry, ash, walnut and box elder.  I wanted it all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

timberking

The question is what got you to Pine Bluff?  Usually people are trying to leave.  Kin folk lived there and I grew up 40 miles away.

Magicman

Driving home from Branson MO, Pine Bluff is about ¾ of the way and is an easy/convenient  stopover for us.  They have a "municipal" campground on the East side out on the river past the ball parks and golf course.  Nothing fancy but for $18, it works for us.  We have stayed there many times.

That is a ~20" Box Elder with Cottonwood, Box Elder, and Sassafras as well as the river in the background.

Funny but I was talking with a fellow camper at Musicland Campground in Branson who grew up in Pinebluff.  He was surprised at where we were planning to stop because he had no idea that the campground was there.

SwampDonkey

Back in the 70's and early 80's there were a lot of little camp grounds and picnic sites here run by the provincial government, but successive governments since have closed them up. Mostly because among the public where people whose mission in life is to break up and destroy stuff. People get tired of fixing. Every lake or brook was signed on public land where a road crossed or went by. Where as in Quebec, NS and PEI their governments maintain them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,that's odd, Same thing here. Some even had a hand pump. Some had grill too. These was all maintained by the state. Some was quite big,some only had 2 tables. Some had a roof over the tables too. There was a big one in Pittsfield,I think I have the right town. Was about 500 feet off the road. All closed now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!