iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning Table..or ...Table's Turned??

Started by Burlkraft, May 10, 2006, 08:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

This is what I wuz workin' on today............

This is the spindle.... Redwood root burl

This is the base Spalted Maple

This is the begining of the top. It's the backside. This is Redwood too.

This is the finished backside...I hope the spindle fits in the hole ;D ;D ;D

The top of the top..Lookin' good ;) ;) ;)

And this is the whole mess turned upside down with glue runnin' out all over >:( >:( >:(

You'll be seein' this again real soon 8) 8) 8)

Why not just 1 pain free day?

gary

CHARLIE

Woweeee Steve! Dat's nice!  Beautiful wood.......especially the piece you chose for the top. I can't hardly wait to see the burl pop out when you finish it. Are you going to use Watco Danish Oil?  Oh.......if the spindle is too small to fit in the hole, just wrap it a few times with duct tape. ;D

That's a huge diameter too!  I reckon you are spinning it real slow.......and the outside rim is probably flying!  I've never turned anything that big. I'm impressed! 8) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Burlkraft

Charlie,
The top is 22" or so........ and you would be suprised how fast you can crank 'em up once ya get 'em in balance :o :o :o :o Ya gotta get 'em going fast to get the center to turn right. It moves a lot slower in there. I put my bowl steady on the back side to stop the vibration.

I'm planing on water based poly for the finish. I've had pretty good luck with it on redwood. makes the burl hop right out at you. I'll be sprayin' it in the morning, so I'll have some new pics tomorrow night.

The spindle fit just fine :) :) :) :)

Better lucky than good I always say ;D ;D ;D

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Norm

Engineer

Looks like a Oneway lathe in those pictures - that's my dream to have one of those in the shop someday.

Nice work, can't wait to see it when it's done.

woodsteach

That looks great!!  Where is the finished product?!!!

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Burlkraft

I got talked into haulin' a load of firewood logs today >:( >:( >:( >:(

Never should have left the house....It's 38* and rainin' like cats and dogs with a 40 MPH wind :o :o :o

My trailer is right where she sank behind the guy's shed. When it dries out I'll have to go get it.
I might still get some shop time yet today....but right now I'm on the verge of a nap attack ;) ;) ;)

CHARLIE

You sure pick some hellashish times to haul firewood! I remember when you were here for a visit you told me about the time you were talked into hauling some firewood and ended up trying to get unstuck from the mud in a ditch on a rainy day.  You and hauling firewood is like oil and water. ;D

It takes a mighty steady hand to end up with a nice flat table.  I cannot even imagine how much work it is to make sure the top is flat across.

Engineer! You and me too!  I'd love to have a Oneway lathe.  Maybe in 10 years I can afford the 1990 model. :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Burlkraft

Charlie,
It seems like firewood logs and rainy days go hand in hand for me :D :D :D

Don_Papenburg

What kind of glue do you use to run all over the fine turnings ?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Burlkraft

Most any kind of glue I use runs all over everything >:( >:( >:(

I was using gorilla glue, but if you don't have a good joint it looks DanG crappy ;D ;D ;D

I'm using Titebond III now and I like it a lot. It's strong and cleans up with a wet rag when it's wet 8) 8)

Just what I need.

CHARLIE

I've used Titebond II for many years but recently started using Titebond III.  While I like the waterproof properties, I think......not sure yet.....I'm getting more glue creep with the Titebond III.  I glued some wood together to make thicker pieces. Then turned to shape and sanded to 600 grit and finished with Myland's Friction Polish and buffed on a layer of canuba wax. Everything was as smoooooooth as a baby's butt.  The next day I could feel ridges at the glue joint. >:( 
Charlie

Burlkraft

Charlie...ya know that if you sanded past the joint that it might creep level by morning :D :D :D

But problly not :-[ :-[

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

Thank You Sponsors!