iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SmurfitStone close two paper mill

Started by buck5611, August 13, 2005, 10:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck5611

Last week, Smurfit Stone close two paper mills in eastern Canada. One was located in Bathurst, New Brunswick and the other one in New Richmond, Quebec. Very sad news for these area who have greatly suffer from closing in mine and fisheries. As I live close to New Ricmond, the wood I cut is sold to different sawmills in the area wich used to feed the paper mill with chips and sawdust. So with these closure  it is hard to see  for now all the consequence for private lot owners but one immediate problem is : sawmills have lot of chip and they MUST find other buyers oruses for it. we expect some to stop buying wood for months and even some closure. As I was in the last revision of my equipment and my newly bouhgt TJ230 I hope  I could sell enough at least to pay the expense. :'( :'(

SwampDonkey

Yes, the one in Bathurst is number 3 for New Brunswick in less than a year. Maybe someone will use the wood chips to generate electricity in your area. Premier Lord is too wound up about reburbishing Lepreau to consider another source of renewable energy. In my area we are shipping hog fuel from mills to an electric plant in Fort Fairfield, Maine. In the meantime we are pumping $millions into attracting call centres and textiles that go bust within 3 years here.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

buck5611

That is exactly what happen here in Caplan where an ACI call centre was open with big found from both govern. After less than two years, they close the three centre they got in Quebec and far they go with the money. This is an american co. so it will be difficult to get our money back even tough they did not fill their engagement.There is not much hope for the teens so they MUST go out of the region to make a decent living.That is what  did my two boys.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SteveB

In the region I work, it's looking like the closure of softwood sawmills might actually create a seller's market for softwood pulp, as the pulp guys are loosing their sawmills as sources of chips.  I'm not going to bank on this happening, but maybe there's hope for some?  It's crappy when tables turn in your favor due to someone elses misfortune.

Woodhog

This seems to be a sign of the times... there must be over 100 closed now in North America in the last 10 years or so..

I think I remembered learning in school that the Newsprint/Forestry industry was the premier industry in Canada...what a joke that turned out to be in the long run...

I dont see any future in working in the woods, around here they are all going to Alberta for the latest natural resource boom, they went to BC to fish in the late 60s and 70s, that went bust, we took the cream off our own fisheries in the 70s and 80s...

Over supplied the wood market in the early 2000s with too much production in the woods with no good jobs only large bank payments.

We now export huge amounts of crude oil to the states and dont refine it here and sell the
diesel/gas/ etc...

I think I will get a license to manage money generated by software companies, fashion outlets, junk food companies,insurance companies, music  companies producing hip hop etc....

This is where the real money is not in silly things like wood products, agriculture etc...

leweee

I feel your pain after being in both of those sectors. :'(
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!