iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Edge resaw/edger advice needed...

Started by Traditional Toolworks, December 03, 2009, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditional Toolworks

MillHeads,

I seek some advice.

I found a Cutting Edge portable sawmill for sale, which I think I can get pretty cheap. I think it is really an edger, although on the Cutting Edge site it claims it to be a "resaw" in the pic they show. This also has a conveyor belt, so the material moved through the carriage which is stationary. There are 2 motors that run it, one for the conveyor and one for the band wheels, but the carriage doesn't move.

NOTE FROM ADMIN LINKS TO OFF SITE IMAGE ARE NOT ALLOWED. IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY
Here's the actual machine, it looks a bit different. Looks like a quality machine though.
NOTE FROM ADMIN LINKS TO OFF SITE IMAGE ARE NOT ALLOWED. IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

This looks like a quality machine, but it not what I'm in need of. Is this in fact an edger?

The conveyor and blade are only 18"...:-( It also has a 25HP 3 phase motor, and I only have a rotary phase converter for a 7.5HP...so that would take some doing to make work either with another motor and/or engine.

The question I have is, I know I will still need a sawmill, but it seems that this might compliment the sawmill in a good way, I see many of you have edgers and sawmills you use together.

Too bad this carriage is not one of their larger models...that would have been a sweet find...

Any advice welcome, I think I can get it for surplus type prices, as the folks are looking to get rid of it. It looks like a project, unless one has enough 3 phase to pull 25HP. But it certainly looks like a quality piece of equipment, too bad it wasn't one of their 30" or 36" carriages...:(

The axeman in the twentieth century displaying this determination to find peace and sanity is joined in history to every pioneer who set himself to carving a homestead in a new world.  B.Allan Mackie - "Building with Logs"

WTB - used sawmill around NorCal/Oregon area

D Hagens

Don't know much about the machine but the shop is just down the street from me. Talked to them a few times and they showed me the mills that they can make. Real nice guys. :)

beenthere

TT
Looks like a resaw.
What you call a carriage, I'd call the head, which is stationary.

Wonder why you think it is really an edger?

Look at our sponsor Baker for resaw equipment, at least for comparison. They know what they are doing, and another member (handle slips my mind) has discussed a similar Baker product in their milling operation.

The second pic shows the merrygoround type setup, where the cant or flitch is rolled back to the front to be sent through again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

paul case

resaw for sure,
in this area pallet or shipping box makers use this kind of machine to make many thin pallet face boards from a cant already cut to length. they can produce a lot of ''finished'' boards quickly. most box material buyers in my area want boards that are 5/8''x4''x40''.they pay about $.20 per board . you have to make a lot of them fast to make much$/hr.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: beenthere on December 03, 2009, 08:57:20 PM
TT
Looks like a resaw.
What you call a carriage, I'd call the head, which is stationary.

Wonder why you think it is really an edger?
Yes, the head as you call it. That is usually called a carriage on a sawmill. I thought it was an edger as it seems narrow.

I guess that means you need to have your head secure if you want it to operate correctly on a resaw...  ;D
Quote from: beenthere on December 03, 2009, 08:57:20 PM
The second pic shows the merrygoround type setup, where the cant or flitch is rolled back to the front to be sent through again.
That could be handy for timberframe from the sounds of it, do you know how big a cant they can manage?

When you refer to resaw, do you mean that it will resaw a cant that has already been sawn? Or a dimensioned timber to state it another way?

I want to work with 18" - 24" logs, and want to keep them whole. I want to mill the sides flat, so I can build with them and dovetail the corners, but also reduce some as well for other timber. I know I need a mill, but is this machine primarily for resawing a dimensioned piece of timber (i.e., a cant)?
The axeman in the twentieth century displaying this determination to find peace and sanity is joined in history to every pioneer who set himself to carving a homestead in a new world.  B.Allan Mackie - "Building with Logs"

paul case

yes
it is made for resawing dimenision lumber from a cant.
when my parents built their home in 1970 the subfloor boards they used were resawn 2x10 that had been planed. so one side was ruff and one planed.the uses for these machines are many but they werent intended to be used as a sawmill. the size thing. unless other equipment was used the resaw was used on cants that could be carried by hand usually by one person but maybe 2? pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: paul case on December 03, 2009, 10:23:05 PM
resaw for sure,
in this area pallet or shipping box makers use this kind of machine to make many thin pallet face boards from a cant already cut to length. they can produce a lot of ''finished'' boards quickly. most box material buyers in my area want boards that are 5/8''x4''x40''.they pay about $.20 per board . you have to make a lot of them fast to make much$/hr.   pc
pc,

That's clearer on the use, I suspect these folks used it for similar. Thinking about it, I see how that would be a real value for producing that type of lumber.

I was trying to think of a way to use the head, either by widening it or attaching some type of carriage mechanism for it to roll on track, but in the end it's too much work to attempt something like that for me. It looks like a quality band setup, certainly good wheels and guides for the DIY...

I need to keep myself away from such projects, they burn too much time...lol

paul case

there is a deffinite difference between working at the mill and working on the mill. my place is littered with remnants of past projects gone wrong. some mine some not. pc
pc

Traditional Toolworks

Paul,

You and me both...none of mine are sawmill related but I have plenty of blacksmithin', woodworkin', and metalworkin' tools and machine in various states of disarray... ::)

schmism

looks more like a resaw setup than it does an edger
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Chico

Set up correctly a resaw is the best addition you can have to a sawmill runs lines faster than a headrig and saves a load of lines on it also. You can set one up to do any thing you need dimension or grade
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Cutting Edge

It is definitely a resaw as we have never built an edger (not yet). If you have any questions or need any help, please don't hesitate to call   1-604-856-7449    :) . And to add some clarity, resaws are mainly used to knock down cants. They are extremely productive in the right hands. Have a great day.

Thank You Sponsors!