iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the girl can cut

Started by woodmills1, July 27, 2009, 09:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Meadows Miller

Gday

Woodmills i saw this last night but was a bit knackerd at the time to reply the thred seemd to have lost direction there for awhile  ;) :D :D :D

Kaths going well  ;D 8) 8) 3.5 m3 or about 1500 bft roughly and thats not counting any other recovery  ;) The production will come  It all takes time and common sence She'll get there we'll be seeing you making posts of 3000 + before too long i reckon Mate Tell kath to keep up the good work and that shes of to a great start  n wait till theres more stuff she can pass on to edge ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

old joe

Kath,
Good job.
I suppose now we'll  have to wait til YOU post the pics

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

woodmills1

eleven

132 4x4x8 pine as dunnage cut by HER :o

half of a horse fence order cut by Kath that I finished today while SHE did a waitress job

a far away shot
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fla._Deadheader

I'd say, Woo HOO  8) 8)

Nice pics.  8) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

and just to keep it clear, the mill is not named or even gendered yet but the lovely Mrs wood,  Kath cut the stuff pictured.  I don't think there will be a confusion factor tonight :D :D :D :D :D :D :P :) :) :) :) :) :P 8) :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

dunnage= $638

fence after I finished = $720

having your wife run the saw head.......priceless

Bibbyman

But... but...  I don't see her in the picture... :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

she said untill she has a good feeling. confidence, I can only show her wood :D

and she is covered outside of workmans comp, on my health INS

and she is getting and gonna be good at it 8) :P

farmboy1tn

she got another trade under her belt now

Meadows Miller

Gday

Woodmills How many hours has Kath got up sawing allup  ??? if thats her first full day tell her shes doing alot better than alot of blokes ive trained  :o  ::) and if shes camera shy  ;)take a snecky one while shes buisy sawing  ;) :D :D

Hey Mate it also looks like your laging behined kath allready  looking at the pile of wingboards sitting on the tailout rollers :o :o :) ;) :D :D :D 8)

I know of a couple of girls working as sawyers one down melb i use to work with and another my age up in sunny QLD  who use to work in a bikiny top in summer  shes a good sort too :o ;D ;D she runns her dads mill   ;)

Reguards Chris 

woodmills1

pictures soon Bibby

she has about 9 hrs on the controls and another 9 or 10 watching and trying to run the Metavic....................she is not too good yet there

the pile of slabs we put on the ground on purpose so we could put the non product off the edger on the metavic and take it to the stack to sticker.  The slabs are easy to move untill the pile gets huge but the boards I don't like to squeeze with the loader it dents them.

BTW kath had her regular night bartend tonight so I cut a trailer order today with out her  6' by 12' 1.5 thick  one log, took my time.

Jim_Wahl

James, at this rate you will be the waitress before you know what happened! :D
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

olyman

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on July 31, 2009, 10:22:00 AM
James, at this rate you will be the waitress before you know what happened! :D
ouch!!! that might hurt ;D

Coon

I think he needs a mini skirt first if he's gonna become a waitress.  ;)  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

farmboy1tn

bandmiller2

Guys the truth is women can do anything we can do,just their too smart to do most of it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Too true Spot on Frank  ;) ;D 8)

woodmills1

well :D

my decision to involve Kathy was based on the easy operation of the LT 70 with setworks and the remote keeping the operator away from the engine noise and much of the sawdust.  She can do tailing until the boards get wider, but some of the oak slabs have a lot of meat on the butt flares so I deceided to teach her to run the mill and I gcan do the grunt work

we cut 9 logs in 3 hours producing 8  8x8x10 in pine for a garden supply house to use as garden borders, as well as a few hundred feet of jacket boards.  Kathy cut the 6 large ones and I cut the three small ones.  She was amazed at how fast the mill can cut.

She is getting better each time she runs it

backwoods sawyer

Quite honestly, I would much rather work with one of the female sawyers then with most of the male sawyers in the big mill. Simply because they would watch the flow of the wood thru the whole plant and fluctuated there sawing speeds to accommodate an even flow of material, where most of the male sawyers were of the mind set that the faster the head rig went the more production they would get. Wrong, one jam up and all the gains for the day are more then lost.
I like having my wife saw with me as well. We switch back and forth between sawing and off bearing. Having a second sawyer allows me to spend time away from the control panel and have a better feel for how the mill is running. 
My wife says "YOU GO GIRL" and I say it is good to see that you are not intimidated by the fact that one day your wife may even be a better sawyer then you. Don't hold back and teach her as much as she is willing to learn, and learn from her as you go along as well.

(To begin with, it sounded like you were talking about the mill not your wife. Be careful about that one.)  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

LeeB

Lindy won't have anything to do with running my mill. She did offer to offbare for me if i have to start using the mill to pay the bills. While I really apreciate that offer she just ain't physicaly healthy enough to do it. I would rather her learn to run the mill. She says there's too much math involve. I told her hore hockey. Adjust the setwrks and saw. Paul won't run the saw either. He'll do everything else and actually seems to enjoy it once I make him get started. I erally wish he would take more interest in as a way to pay his way through college if nothing else.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WH_Conley

I am in the same boat Lee. Wife will do any of it except pull the lever.
Bill

woodmills1

can't wait till she hits metal so it will be hers

Meadows Miller

:D :D :D :D :D :D theres gota be a 1st time with all of us i reckon mate  ;) :D ;D

DanG

Congrats on getting the Wife involved James....I think. ???

After a mere 8 years, my Wife has become vaguely aware that there is something sitting in the front yard.  She may even ask what it is, someday.  I kinda like it that way. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!