iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any ideas for belting material?

Started by StorminN, July 31, 2009, 02:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Hi guys,

I have a couple of farm-type conveyors next to my sawmill, to carry the sawdust away from the mill. I have them powered by salvaged electric wheelchair gear motors. When I got the conveyors, both were missing their belts and one conveyor frame was torched into five pieces... but I got it all welded back together and got the rollers loosened up, and put the wheelchair motors on there. This was maybe a year or more ago.

For the belting, I thought I was being smart at the time (and I certainly was being thrifty), and I used some old snowboard base material (free) we had at the factory. It's UHMW, about .060" thick, and it worked great at first, but what I've noticed over time is that the UHMW stretches... like crazy... to the point where now, every time I run the conveyors, I have to re-tension the belts in order to get them to run. I've thought about running a "spine" of something that won't stretch, and fastening this to the UHMW, but I got to thinking that if I went to that trouble, I might as well go with an entirely different belt... so what I'm looking for is ideas for cheap / salvage / scrounge belting.

The belts need to be 9" wide and about 32' long. I have a clipper lacer (that I've never used), so I could try and lace whatever it is I find. Anyone got any ideas? Someone suggested old firehose... anyone ever try that?

Thanks,
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

kelLOGg

old heavy duty canvas tarp cut into strips?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishpharmer

Norm,
You know anyone that does a lot of round baling with belt type baler?  Not sure of the widths available.  The belts stretch and wear so after awhile need replacing, not sure if they would be usable for you.  A farmer may keep some of the old ones around for various reasons or a big dealer that does the replacing may help you out.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

Norm,I use old fire hose for my conveyer belt.Their are two types boath will work,the old fabric coated and the newer yellow storz type.Usally come in 50" legnths some longer.I like the old fabric covered hose best and take off the outer loose fabric just use the inner ruberized liner.Its strong it lasts and its free,most fire dept's have it, its called overage hose.It helps if you know someone.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Take your tape measure with you to measure the coiled hose don't be afrade of hose a little narrower, sawdust will build up a fillet on the edges and tumble on the belt.Fire hose will also do yoeman duty as power belting,takes a clipper laceing real well.Save short legnths to put over your chainsaw bars.Frank C.

Ironwood

Most tractor supply stores carry nice narrow belting in addition to the Clipper lacing.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

StorminN

Thanks guys for the replies... I hadn't thought of the old canvas tarp, haven't seen much of that around here lately. I do know a couple of firefighters, I'll have to ask about hose... and I know one guy that makes round hay bales, I'll have to talk to him, too. Ironwood, I was trying not to buy new, I'm a bottom feeder (cheap/free).

You guys that use the firehose, I assume you slice it lengthwise and flatten it out? Does it slice easily??

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Ironwood

Free, yup I understand that!.

Fire hose should slice easy, I have used it for numerous things around here (got it free ;D) Usually fairly high quality construction/ rubber w/ mesh outer, just watch you dont cut the oppisite side (perhaps slide a narrow piece of wood through as you cut).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bruce_A

bandmiller2

Norm,no don't cut it legnthwise it will lay flat enough just as it comes off the roll.As stated  I do take the outer loose fabric covering off,that can be cut legnthwise with a sharp knife.The best way to cut crossways is with a trysquare and a sharp razor knife for those square cuts clipper laceings need.Fire hose is not stretchy holds its legnth quite well.For those that have stretchy belts do like the sand pit screening plants do, a roller with suspended weight on the slack side.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

When i do belting i usualy use an open hand with a swift forward motion towards the back of the beltees  head dose the trick  n straitns them out real quick ;) for tough costomers its a clenched fist to the face no material needed Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Seriously  ;) i like either rubber coated nylon cross ply dosent stretch as much or i have about a 120' roll of 9" plastic/rubber composite cross ply centerd stuff sitting out in the shed now tha im gonna use someday try old industial supplys or wreckers we have a place overhere thats a second hand machinery dealer that cuts old h/duty conveyer belt to width in anywhere from 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick i think there would be atleast afew ppl doing a similar thing Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

OneWithWood

Norman,
You might try a local rock crusher.  They change out their belts periodically.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Handy Andy

Try your local grain elevator.  They usually have some old belting around.  Our coop uses a  conveyor contraption to load dry fertilizer.  And there is usually an old belt laying there by the thing.  And old baler belts should work, they might need several splices to get your length, try implement dealers where they fix round balers.  The wide belts are 8" I think. Have one, guess I could measure it if need be. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!