iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horse bucked, rider flew, busted ribs, camera and ego- please help me fix camera

Started by woodbowl, June 27, 2008, 06:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

It's been 6 days since the wreck, but I'm starting to move a little faster now. I probably should have let that piece of flint lay right there, but it looked like it could have been an arrow head. By the time I was ready to mount, the other riders were ahead and my horse was in a bigger hurry to get there than I was. A loosened girt, tilting saddle and the tow of my left boot digging in his side while trying to throw the right leg over, while in a run wasn't the best combination. When he started bucking I knew I was gonna eat it.

It was one of those non bouncy, blunt type landings. When that sharp pain shot through my body, I remember thinking two things. I hope I'm not paralized and my camera is alright. I'll be fine after the kinks get worked out, but I'll have some sore ribs for a while.

As for my camera, it was in my shirt pocket, but now was way over yonder in the dirt with the battery door open and the batteries no where to be seen. It's a Kodak digital C330. After cleaning it up a bit, the lights blinked like normal, but the lens refused to open. I've search for the problem on the net and I think I've found it. It is a common thing upon impact for the telescoping lens gears to strip. Here is a site with pics that show stripped gears. The fix is to bang it on the table and it will start working again.  ::)  http://www.josepino.com/other_projects/index.php?lens_error_kodak.jpc   So I tried it and was surprised to find that it started working again. Problem is it won't work for long. The jolt only helped to clear broken teeth away so the gears could turn. I can't find gear parts anywhere, not even on Ebay. I can get another broken camera on Ebay for the parts for $10, but chances are it has stripped gears too.

About half way down the site, Andy from UK wrote: 

Quote/
01/01/08 - 12:19:35 - Andy from UK wrote:
Try making your own with polyform:
http://www.craft-products.com/polyform-plastic.asp
Easy to prototype a new gear with it, and it's quite strong. Just need a moulding material such as clay, and use the gear to push into it. Turning it around you can get all the gears into the mould, then just push the polyform into it when hot and let it cool. /unquote

Has anyone ever formed a precision part using this product and method?   Kinda like a cheap injection moulding process.  I'm thinking of all kind of projects now.   ???
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Fla._Deadheader

I made that movie 34 years ago. Broken ribs heal VERY slowly. No camera to break my fall.  ::) ::)  Go easy, so you don't puncture a lung.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Radar67

Woodbowl, don't you know curiosity killed the cat?  :D

You take care of those ribs and we'll keep you in our prayers.

If you can find that stuff in the US, I'd give it a go. You might also try a two part resin in the clay mold. I've used a product called "Easy Cast" that comes out pretty hard, and clear. It's hard enough to turn pens out of.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

He might live, Corley5, but he ain't been "alright" in a long time.  :D :D

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Oowwoouch!!  Hope you're back to ""normal"" soon,   ;D ;D

Had some camera problem.. with the Easy Share Kodak.

Lens would come out, but the lens shutter would not open fully. First time, just manually opened it and it started working. The second time, I blew some air duster at it, and apparently a fleck of dust/dirt was lodged in there.

'Nother problem, the display was smooshed...and can't see any detail on it. Still use it, and like the old cameras, don't know what ya have 'til downloading them.  :)  Didn't think I could get parts to fix the display, so bought a second $100 one.

But suspect that is different from your problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

woodbowl, that is what happens when you ride a horse. I much prefer a mule myself, the kind with wheels. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Left Coast Chris

I rode my wife's horse a few times.  The last time I was bucked over the front and got to see the sky rotate by once.  I could not walk do to the lower back injury and was in the hospital on morphene for three days.   Thought I could control the horse.  Turns out I learned that a frightened horse is many times strouger than a large/strong man with all the muscles controled by a brain the size of a walnut (slight exageration).

Very glad you are going to be o.k. and the horse is probably glad you were not carying a pistol at the time he did his hijinx eh? :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WildDog

Woodbowl good to here you will mend,  can't help you with the camera.... I like to keep a shorter rein on the nearside when mounting so the horse if its inclined to walk off will normally be brought around in a circle giving you time to gain your seat. If the horse is  a bit of a rogue he may try to nip.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

dnalley

Hey Woodbowl, hope you recover well, especially your ego :-\.    At least it wasn't your banjo or your fingers!!  Take care, Dwight

woodbowl

Quote from: WildDog on June 28, 2008, 06:10:16 AM
I like to keep a shorter rein on the nearside when mounting so the horse if its inclined to walk off will normally be brought around in a circle giving you time to gain your seat.

That's it WildDog. I did it every time .... except that time.  I used to be able to mount without a stirup. That was 30 years ago and 40 lbs lighter. I'm feeling a little better every day. I should be up to snuff before too long. Dwight, I'm gonna survive so we can pick and grin again.  ;)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawguy21

That is why I keep away from them DanG hosses. We just don't get along too good. Glad to hear you are going to survive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CHARLIE

I dropped my Kodak camera once and busted the battery door. I tried to fix it with epoxy but it wouldn't hold.  I called Kodak Corp. and ordered a new door. The part wasn't that expensive but they Fed Ex everything whether you want it that way or not. So I paid more for the shipping than the part. 

Charlie
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!