iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many links in a 36" bar on pm1000

Started by davefrommd, July 04, 2004, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

I have a 36" bar I want to put on my mcculloch pm 1000. I am using .404 .063 chain. I ordered a 104 link chain and it was a little to short. Does anyone know how many links I need for this bar. The listings only go up to a 28" bar. Thanks in advance for your help.  dave

Kevin

davefrommd

Hey thanks kevin,  I saw a listing for . 404 chain in 104, 105, 106, then 110. I think you're right on the 106. Thanks again.  dave

Kevin

What make of bar?
What size of drive sprocket?

davefrommd

Kevin, It is a 36" Echo bar.  The chainsaw had a 20" .404 chain and bar on it. I was going to put a 28" bar on it till at the chainsaw store the manager sold me a brand new Echo 36" bar as he didn't want it in his invetory for $10.00.. a bargain. I will be sure the oil holes line up. There is about 1mm of play where the two threaded studs go through the bar. dave

Kevin

davefrommd

Kevin, I have the bar in the basement now but it is for the .404 .063 chain. Is it a stock # you're looking for. The .404 .063 chain fits nicely over the sprocket tip. If you tell me what numbers to look for I'll get them for you.  dave

Rocky_J

I wouldn't know where to buy one today, but I remember seeing a wire spacer on an old Husky. It was spring steel and shaped like an 'S', and it fit over the two studs to take up the slop between the studs and bar slot.

Oil holes are easy, a good drill and hardened drill bit set will make new oil holes in the proper location.  ;)

davefrommd

Hey Kevin, I'm sorry, it's a Solo 36" bar. I got it mixed up with echo. The manager doesn't know how he got it in his store but wasn't interested in having it in his invetory so he said how does $10.00 sound. This Solo bar must have cost I'm guessing $120.00 or more brand new. dave

Kevin

The 36", .404 Solo is 106 drivers with a 7 tooth sprocket.

davefrommd

Rocky, I think the oil hole is going to lign up where it's suspose to be. However iI need to drill another oil hole do I need to fill in  the unused oil hole. dave

davefrommd

Hey Kevin, you made it to easy for me. I'll order a loop of 106 chain. Then after I put it on  I'll take a drive to the other side of baltimore and exchange this 104 chain loop for another 106. How where you able to find the number of links for that Solo bar. Your help has been greatly appreciated and also rocky's help on that 1mm or so play in the bar stud area and how to correct it. This chainsaw will mostly sit on a shelf except for an ocasional big tree I seem to come across once in a while. I use mostly 20" to 24" bars and sometimes 28" bars. I appreciate all the good help.  dave

davefrommd

Since I'm putting on a new bar and chain should I replace the rim on the clutch. I already bought it was wondering if it was necessary or recommended. There is some slight wear on the rim on there now. dave

Kevin

The bar mount should be 176 or 276 , the bar you have is probably 009 mount so I don't know what that will do to the chain length.
The second best thing to do is measure the chain you have with the bar in place and see what the difference is.

Kevin

davefrommd

Kevin, the 104 chain made it near the tip of the bar, a 105 chain I think might fit the bar but still possibly close or tight and I have a feeling that it's going to be the 106 links. I was thinking this would be a good time to buy a breaker and spinner so I could fix up the chain myself if needed. dave

Kevin

Dave, when you get a chance check to see what numbers are on that bar.

davefrommd

kevin, I'll get those numbers tomorrow probably in the morning some time. Everyone's here sleeping. thanks  dave

davefrommd

Here's the Solo numbers on the bar. It sais made in canada, would that be from the cannon company. dave
69  00  217N
3663  34507  FD
404  made in canada

Kevin

69  00  217N  is a part number
I'm not sure how to translate the rest of it because these appear to be Solo designation numbers which I don't have and I'm not certain of the company history other than I believe it's origin is Germany.

davefrommd

Kevin, I'll order that 106 chain today. I do believe that is the correct length. The oil holes don't lign up so that will be another problem to work out. Thanks again for your help. dave

davefrommd

Kevin, I just got the 106 link chain and it fit perfectly. You were right, it was 106. Thanks again.  Dave

Kevin

incognitive

This'll be a long one until someone fixes it behind the scenes (can't find any way to properly form the link myself), but it's an interesting link ...
SOLO LINK

davefrommd

Interesting solo link. Thanks. I'm going to make the best out of this $10.00 36" bar I just bought. dave

Thank You Sponsors!