iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying pine

Started by Engineer, March 06, 2005, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Local mill has a Northland kiln.  He has offered to dry whatever I have in exchange for some work from me.  I have a few thousand BF of 5/4 white pine, some of which is air dry at about 14% and some of which is still in logs.

Questions:  can I mix them or should the already air-dried stuff be dried separately, and about how long should it take to get to 7%?    Also, will the kiln treatment slow down or stop the rate of decay from blue stain/sap stain/mildew?

Ianab

QuoteAlso, will the kiln treatment slow down or stop the rate of decay from blue stain/sap stain/mildew?

Yes

The best way to prevent bluestain and mildew on pine is to get it dried down to ~20% as quick as possible. i.e. before the fungus has a chance to grow. Putting it straight into a kiln after sawing would be the best option.

I'd say seperate the air dried and green wood and kiln seperately. The air dried stuff will only need a short period to dry / have pitch set. The green stuff will need a bit longer.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Ian

Do you know the purpose of the steaming offered by Taranaki Saw mills?

Does it somehow aid drying or is it just for pretreatment with CCA?

Thanks

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!