iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

economy kiln

Started by carykong, February 21, 2018, 10:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carykong

Built this solar drier this weekend, pine off my wm, $150 poly carb clear roofing, screw and nails ?, 4' by 10', 7' high

burtle

Looks very nice! How long does it usually take for wood to dry in something like that ?
Never Give Up

kenfrommaine

Are you going to install some vents and fans? Nice looking kiln, looks like it would also make a nice green house for starting plants. 

carykong

Dry time will depend on sun and relative humidity. This is not a kiln in strict way. No fans. Solar heat, convection air movement (low to high), floor boards have gaps.
I,too, am interested in temperature highs when the sun is out. Will advise.

YellowHammer

Not sure about your location, but a solar kiln will get so hot in the summer, it will melt the plastic if the air can't be dumped constantly.  I ruined my polycarbonate roof several years ago when we had a weeklong power outage and I forgot to open the doors.  The plastic bubbled and turned black.

I personally would at least install rudimentary vents near the ceiling to vent the hottest air.  $20 box fans will also help a lot on the drying.  

Remember that getting the air hot is only half the battle, the moisture laden air has to be removed otherwise it will turn into a rainforest and cause significant defects in the lumber.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

carykong

This solar drier is too far from electrical service to wire
My roof is not sealed at the apex or sides
I have used old corrugated metal roofing on the north side
Hope the south sun will beat against the metal after it passes thru the clear roofing to raise temp
Appreciate the warning on adequate air movement
Do not wish to ruin my roof

Crusarius

I am definitely interested in how this is going to work.

carykong

First full day of sun with temperature in the 60s
Inside temp in the drier 110.
No apparent condensation inside the 
Drier
I think the air convection low to high is working

Savannahdan

I am installing a solar powered fan in my kiln.  It's rated for 1200 square foot venting capacity.  Takes care of any problems I have with no electric at the kiln.  Brightwatt is one brand.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

azmtnman

popcorn_smiley Great job!
Watching this thread!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Thank You Sponsors!