iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tell me the name of this tree

Started by alsayyed, March 19, 2006, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello to every one. This is another tree that I am looking for the proper name for this tree. What it is actually it is only grows anywhere the seed it small tiny black pieces. It grows even without any irrigation. The tree full of prickles even you can not touch the braches without wearing gloves.
I wish if there any fruit inside because this is not the season otherwise I could've taken some photos. Sometimes the fruit is sweet and sometimes bitter. The wood is gets hard when it is dry of moisture. It is white wood.

Kevin

These I believe are the native species , a place to start searching.

Trees

Miswak Tree (salvadora persica)

Henna Tree (lawsonia inermis)

Tamarind Tree (tamarindus indica)

Date Palm (phoenix dactylifera)

Aloe Vera (aloe vera)

Olive Tree (family oleaceae)

Sidrah Tree or Lote Tree (zizyphus spina-christi, Christ's Thorn)

Pomegranate Tree (punica granatum)

Garat Tree (acacia nilotica)

Ghaf Tree (prosopis cinerea)

jon12345

When it is the fruit season, how big are they?

I did some searching, and if I had to choose from the list on that Link, I would pick the Sidrah zizyphus spina-christi
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

alsayyed

Dear Kevin I was thrilled and astonished by knowing  the nativespecies. Off course we name these type of tree in Qatar according to the list. I think this tree is almost same as Tamarind Tree (tamarindus indica) the tamarindus is little sour but this tree is sweet.
The other day I posted one tree and I think it is Garat Tree (acacia nilotica) but let me ask you do you have these  type of tree in US and Canada, because I was not paying attention to trees when I was student in the college in the 80s
Regarding the Sidrah Tree   (zizyphus spina-christi, Christ's Thorn) every house in Qatar almost have this type of tree. The fruit is nice, the fruit we get is very small same size of  olive but the one grows in far east and some part of middle east is big. I do not know if you have such a tree in your area.

Again where did you get these information from?
Thank you again.

Kevin

alsayyed;

I found it here ...

http://www.thehaveninqatar.com/index_files/TreesPlantsandWildlife.htm

We don't have any of those trees as native species here in Canada.

jon12345

People grow aloe vera here for medicinal purposes but I didn't know it was actually a tree.  Some of the other ones are probably grown in greenhouses or botanical gardens as well, and maybe as ornamentals in some of our arid regions.

There might also be tree species not native to your area that got planted there in bird droppings or stuck on a truck tire.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!