iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning up slabwood

Started by nas, July 10, 2010, 09:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

I finally got my slab pile cleaned up 8)
Yesterday morning it looked like this.

Then it went through this.

My yard looks 100% better and the big fire hazard is gone 8)
Now my slabs go into a ½ cord rack and strapped into bundles and I get paid for them 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

Looking good Nick.  Is that your equipment?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

nas

Quote from: fishpharmer on July 10, 2010, 10:14:51 PM
Looking good Nick.  Is that your equipment?
I wish :)
It belongs to a local large garden centre that makes there own mulch.  They will also be buying my slabwood from now on.
Actually the green truck at the right edge of the first picture is mine :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

Good deal on the mulch.  No capital outlay and all profit.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Sounds like a plan coming together.  Good business for both of you.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Looks like you even found a log hiding out amongst the slabs. It don't take long for slabs to get a head of you and having a workable plan to manage them can be a real plus. I am changing the way I handle my slabs as well. I was just tight stacking them and selling them for firewood, but the firewood cutters were leaving a real mess behind. So I got with the most reliable one of the bunch who happens to live close by. He will remove all of my pile, then I will build to racks one for me to stack the edging in, then I will bundle them up, load them on the truck and unload them into his much wider rack so that the mess will be at his place and he can cut them as he pleases. This will help both of use out.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

paul case

good plan backwoods. i bet it willwork out good for both of you.

nick,
  sounds like you got a good thing started too. the hog farmers used to call that selling everything but the squeal.
btw that quote from napoleon is really his way of saying proverbs 17:28 .   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!