iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2017

Started by Magicman, October 01, 2017, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddsPoint

Having a good buck to doe ratio makes for a more exciting rut.  We have so few bucks here compared to does that we get a "silent rut".  Around here, few hunters let a small buck walk.  Sad.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Magicman

What I am seeing may be close to 50%.  I saw 38 deer Thursday evening and 15 were identifiable bucks and I didn't look for nubbin heads. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

What are you planting down there to bring them in?
And what's the limit you can get? :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

The Strawfield is a creek bottom with naturally regenerating Fescue.  It was a draw for deer even before I started planting about an acre of Wheat/Oats.  I do not put out any attractant such as pellets or corn.

The limit is 3 bucks and 5 does.  I think that the antler size limit is 10" wide and 12" beam length, not point count.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

8 Deer, WoW, A person could fill their freezers in no time and be good for the year with meat.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Here is a video that I made in the StrawHouse Friday morning while it was snowing.  I need to correct one statement that I made in the video.  I stated that the StrawHouse was built in 2010, when it actually was built in 2000.  The StrawHouse has ~4'X6' floor and it has a 6' ceiling.  It replaced a two man ladder stand that had been on that site for about 5 years.  I did not keep any records of the deer harvest from the ladder stand.

https://youtu.be/lZzWcfDGakg

Banjo picker

That was pretty, but I am glad you got it instead of me.  After March 31 let it snow all it wants. No more DOT to worry about.  Snow details are the worst.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

We officially got a bit over 6", but it was very unusual.  No frozen ground or sleet preceded the snow so the roads were never slick.  The ground was about 40° so it snowed for an hour or so before we got any buildup.  Then of course as soon as it stopped snowing, it immediately started to melt.

This was without a doubt the prettiest snow that I have ever seen and I was glad that I was at the Cabin/farm.

Peter Drouin

Nice, We have that pretty snow here for weeks and weeks. :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandhills

Thanks for the video Lynn, very nice!

Peter Drouin

And youaaaaaallll talk funny.
A crick, is that something in your neck???  Or do you mean a brook, something with water in it? :D :D
Nice to have Deer like sheep all over. I'm jealous. :D :D
:christmas:
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jeff

I know that place well!  8)  It never looked like that though! :D   Now it looks like home!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 12, 2017, 06:41:57 PM
And youaaaaaallll talk funny.
A crick, is that something in your neck??? Or do you mean a brook, something with water in it? :D :D
Nice to have Deer like sheep all over. I'm jealous. :D :D
:christmas:

I thought it was the noise made by a Japanese camera!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Boy Lynn what a great place you have there!
Regular season over here, muzzle loader runs thru early next week.
I dont hunt muzzle.
Never saw an antler this season, but shot 2 does and my SIL shot a 3rd for me.
Son and grandson shot 8 pts on opening day and 2 other spikes seen.
My place is 129 acres and I dont go off the property.
Deer were scarce here this year even my game hog neighbor complained.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

no I did not complain  :D :D     we are seeing a lot more deer that it got cold my neighbor got a nice 8 point this morning and said he saw 3 other small bucks and a doe with it

AlaskaLes

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on December 03, 2017, 06:52:28 AM
I picked up an archery tag yesterday since I was planning to take the bow out this morning. When I was getting things ready to go this morning I opened my bow case and the string had snapped   :o ... The string previously looked fine but I had planned on replacing it soon anyway. In a way I'm glad it broke on its own and not at full draw while aimed at the giant 6 point I'm after.  Guess I'll have to hunt a different day  ;D

This reminds me of one of the guys on the a Cobra forum that I spent a lot of time on.
He was shooting his compound bow in the backyard, getting ready for hunting season.
While it was at full draw the upper limb snapped and the string pulled the tip/pulley section into his head.
The resulting head injury put him in a coma and he soon passed away.
I mention this only because I had never imagined such a thing before this and it was shocking to me.
hasn't stopped me from shooting my bow, but it does make me check it out carefully for any signs of stress fractures.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Magicman

I had two Grandsons at the Cabin this weekend.  Many bucks were seen which included the sticker 10 point which they are continuing to let walk.  I plan to go a few days this week.  The breeding should not have started yet but the bucks are in a frenzy.

YellowHammer

I'm seeing the same, the bachelor groups have broken up and the bucks are actively chasing does.  The does are still running away, though.   ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ToddsPoint

Our rut is winding down.  Saw 5 does and 3 small bucks in the pasture across the road yesterday.  The bucks weren't interested in any of the does at all.  Last week the bucks were after the young does so it's just about over.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

YellowHammer

Big cold front is coming next week, that will get it going.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

davidmw

I got me a couple with horns this year. The one with my dog sniffing is a bow kill. He's the first buck taken on my 30 acre property after owning it for 3 years. He's far from a monster, but he's been the biggest on my land since I've owned it and I've run into him both previous years in the stand. Too impatient to wait another year....

This one was Thanksgiving day late in the afternoon on the big family farm. I had been hunting all week for a buck that is no doubt in the 150's, but in the end this guy gave me a great shot, and knowing it was my last day off work, he ended up in the freezer.....
Woodland Mills hm126, Stihl ms441, Husqvarna 455, Echo cs500, Echo271, Massey gc1710 tractor, Woodmaster Belt sander, Shop Fox Molder, Dewalt planer, Jet Table saws, Milwaukee routers. The fun is just beginning.....

Magicman

Nice couple of bucks.

I had 4 bucks in front of me yesterday evening, one nice 8 point, but no shooter.  This morning an 8 point came by sniffing and freshened his scrap.  I'm still sitting and watching for Mr. Him.   :)

davidmw

Magicman, as far south as you are, is the rut still in its peak down there? We just are probably getting out of the post/secondary rut about now where I'm at but the main rut here peaks in mid November.
Woodland Mills hm126, Stihl ms441, Husqvarna 455, Echo cs500, Echo271, Massey gc1710 tractor, Woodmaster Belt sander, Shop Fox Molder, Dewalt planer, Jet Table saws, Milwaukee routers. The fun is just beginning.....

Magicman

Breeding should be just beginning.  I saw 9 bucks today, couple of 8 points but all small and going crazy.  Grandson got a nice 9 point this evening.

Magicman

The only deer that I saw this morning were two 8 pointers.  One a cute little 1½ year old that I hope makes it and grows up.  The other was a shooter but there was a Sweetgum limb in the way.  I hates Sweetgum!!

My Pee-Willie-Wick (scent dispenser) froze this morning.  28° Yikes!!!

Thank You Sponsors!