iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie Question - Thickness

Started by Red Pill, November 16, 2011, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Pill

I'm looking into getting a small portable mill. Are most of you sawing 4/4 boards at 1 1/8 inches, or are you good with 1 inch?

I'll probably have a million questions. I've seen the knowledge base, but didn't see this practice there.

P.S. I'm another DanG, but I'll defer to the original.

Magicman

I'll just say Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Red Pill.  Since I saw the thickness that the customer wants, I'll defer the thickness question to other sawyers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I do 99.99% of my sawing "mobile".

Like MM said, I saw what the customer needs.

When a customer in this area says "I want boards", they are talking about 1 inch boards.

I explain to them that I can use the "yard stick" measure on the mill and cut at 1" increments and he'll get 7/8 - 15/16" material, or I can saw using the 4/4 scale and that will yield a full inch!  The customer usually picks the yard stick when we're doing soft wood!

Hardwood customers usually pick either 4/4 or 5/4 and that's exactly what they get!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

We've sawn for a lot of markets over the years.  Each one expects something a little different between the allowable range.   Right now our flooring buyer specifies a target of 1-1/8" with a minimum of 1" to 1-3/8" accepted.  That's a pretty generous range. 

We target 1-1/8" and have never had a board rejected.  It's a pretty easy target with the Accuset all dialed in.   

I'd say 1-1/8" for 4/4 in hardwood is a pretty good target.  Most customers will not reject it.  I've had a few complain it's too thick – too much to plane off, etc.  But those were customers wanting their logs custom sawn for their own use and so be it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Figure out what you want the final board thickness to be.  In flat sawed 4/4 stock, drying gets 1/16" off the top.  Variance in sawing can account for another 1/16".  Cup in boards wider than 8" may take another 1/8" to surface out...less in narrow boards.

Sawing at 1 1/8" thick allows dried and planed stock to measure 13/16" which is the NHLA standard. That's a pretty easy standard to meet.  I figured out one time, losing one board in 20 because it's too thin doesn't pay...invariably it will be the widest FAS board out of the log.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

I sawed a bunch of hardwood at a full 1".  At that time, I was sawing lumber to build furniture.  I never had a problem getting a finished 3/4" board from a full 1" rough stock.  Most of the stuff I was building required at most a 6 foot board as for a desk, etc.  Then, I began to sell lumber to other woodworkers.  People were interested in longer length projects, say 8 foot tables.  I found that the 1" thick boards would not always plane out flat (face joint flat, then thickness plane) when planing 8 to 10 foot boards. 

As a result, I went to sawing 1 1/8" rough and that creates a lot more project flexibility for people.  It also allow you to plane to 7/8" or even 15/16" for when you need a little thicker stock like for a table top.

So, the answer depends on what the intended use of the lumber is for.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Red ...whatever thickness you wind up sawing, Keep it uniform. boards with random thicknesses cannot be properly stacked for drying. repeatability is vital when talking about the thickness of your boards. even an 1/8" variance will allow the thinner boards to move in your stack...not good. Welcome to the Forum...btw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

zopi

If I am sawing pine for utility grade, board and batten, etc...I will saw to one inch, without allowing for kerf...come up with a pretty consistent 15/16" if I am sawing for lumber where I want consistent furniture lumber, I put the extra eighth in there..as mentioned, cupping, warp, inconsistencies in sawing..blade set out, etc....but it also makes the likelihood of getting minor surface checks and cracks out...and depending on the project, that extra thickness may pay off in the details of the project..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ladylake

I saw what the customer wants, about 99% 1" and also 1" for my lumber.   I just got done planing 1500 bf of ash sawed at 1" , 2 wide boards that were cupped didn't clean up .  I could have ripped them down the middle and it would have been 100% at 13/16.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Is this for your own use? I just saw a full one inch boards or a full 2 inch by whatever. But I don't plane my lumber either, This is just building lumber. I would feel it depends on what the use is for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Pill

Thanks for the answers, folks. I'm not sawing yet, just exploring it. And learning. There's a lot to be learned here.

red oaks lumber

the customer tells me to saw it 1'' i say ok and saw it 1 1/8" thick :)he gets boards and i can get the wood to plane real nice next year when he changes his mind and brings it back to get planed.
for you guys that do custom planing  always looking ahead for future problems will saw for the size that works better,yet still giving the customer what he or she wants
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodmills1

I am at 1 1/16" with the accuset also taking out 1/8" for the blade thickness....+++fat
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!