iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tongue and groove 4x4s?

Started by hackberry jake, November 26, 2011, 06:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have access to more trees than I can count that won't make much more than a 4x4. I was wondering if you used beams on 8 or 10 foot centers if I could get some tongue and groove bits made for my woodmaster and skip the floor joist step. Just run the 4x4s across the top of the beams. The floor would look like hardwood flooring yet be structural as well with many more refinishes in its lifespan. Have a one inch tongue and one inch groove that was about 1/2 inch depth. Bad idea?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bibbyman

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 26, 2011, 06:11:49 PM
Bad idea?

Yes, would be my guess.  4x4s would be hard to dry so they would shrink, crack and twist, etc.  They would likely sag under they're own weight.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

eastberkshirecustoms

x2 what Bibby said. I might add that being cut from juvenile trees will really increase the likelihood for adverse movement.

red oaks lumber

jake
i would sit down next to those small logs and wait for that idea to pass :) long term that plan would cause you great amounts of frustration.
maybe saw those small logs into 1" lumber and make flooring out of that. or don't take the small logs at all.
sometimes free still costs to much :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Rooster

Jake,

Is this an idea for your covered bridge?

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

hackberry jake

Mainly red and white oak. No not for the covered bridge, for flooring in a post and beam cabin.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Rooster

Jake,

Is this for a cabin that is already built?...or to be built?

If it's to be built, you might be able to use the smaller trees for round rafters or joists by flattening one side, or make porch railings, interior furniture, etc.

If it's already built, well then my advice is too late.   ::)

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!