iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

110v Saw Chain Sharpener

Started by Grizzly, December 07, 2017, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

has anyone used a foley grinder? as far as the 511 oregon being the best i have one and i say no. its ok its assembled in Italy with the parts made in china

YellowHammer

Quote from: ScottAR on December 17, 2017, 06:41:52 PM
Will the Stihl machine do the narrow pico (I don't remember the size) on the pole saws too? or just .325,3/8, and .404?
Here is a link to the sharpener setup and it lists all the chains, angles and wheels required to duplicate the factory sharpening geometry.  The angle "B" is the one that few sharpeners can match.   
https://www.stihlusa.com/webcontent/cmsfilelibrary/instructionmanuals/usg_sawchainangles_chart.pdf

The machine as zero slop.  It is offered with a foot clamp accessory, step on the pedal and the clamp closes on the chain.  I didn't purchase it, the hand clamp is good enough for me. 

The thing about this sharpener, I spend a lot less time sharpening a lot more chains.  Thats the way its supposed to work.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

crazy4saws

YH-perhaphs i missed it but did you purchase the stihl grinder? Im currently looking for something to replace grandpas old neilson grinder. i was considering the 511ax and possibly upgraging to the hydraulic lock.

i searched the forum for input if the hydraulic lock was useful/worth the extra $ and came across this thread. everyone please correct me if im wrong but the hydraulic lock seems favorable?? thanks

YellowHammer

Yes, I've had the Stihl grinder for a few years now and it has turned chain sharpening into a non event.  I didn't get the foot pedal clamp accessory, the hand clamp works fine.  Here is a lengthy but interesting video that shows the USG Stihl Grinder that I have, which shows how well it grinds and the foot pedal usage.  I don't know the guy in the video, but it shows how easy it is to fix a badly damaged chain.  Of course, for a normal, in service chain, the sharpening process goes much faster.  Either way, no burn.  BTW, I hand file the rakers with the Stihl File Guide, I don't use the sharpener for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nfMQWXDURA

No doubt, its expensive, and there are other sharpeners out there, but I would never buy another type after having this one.  I don't expect it to ever wear out.  :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

crazy4saws

YH, thank you for the reply. I got mixed up and now see that it was grizzly who was looking to purchase a grinder. I hadn't considered stihl but I might look harder at them.

Grizzly have you pulled the trigger on a grinder?

DelawhereJoe

Now I have a question for you guys, what size wheel do you use on a .325. I have seen both 1/8 and 3/16 recommend. Who has used both and what does a better job on it ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Grizzly

Quote from: crazy4saws on January 08, 2018, 05:42:13 PM
Grizzly have you pulled the trigger on a grinder?

No. I seem to search out my stuff well ahead and then dream on it for a bit and then after a while I'll go ahead and buy something. So in a while I'll be back to report. My children say I'm good at talking myself out of buying what I need.  :)

On another note. Some of you are using diamond or a hard wheel to grind chain. I'd like to find a hard wheel to put in my Cook's Cat Claw but so far no luck at all. One supplier will custom build one for me at a cost of over a thousand so I opted to not buy. Anyone know of something?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Grizzly

CBN I think is what there called. All i have is the standard abrasive wheels from Cooks and Suffolk.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

LeeB

There used to be a guy from Ireland that made some but I haven't heard anything from him in a long time. I had one and it was ok but I recently broke it so am now using the AO stones again.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!