iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 359 vs Jony 2159

Started by vgbob, February 16, 2006, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vgbob

This has been asked before and the reply on this forum was that these are
essentially the same saw. What is the reason for the difference in HP rating?
And more importantly the reason for the price difference if they are the same
saw? Do they both respond to the same mods? Thanks.

HiOctane

Rhey both got same cyl,piston,crank,carb and electronic ,so the hp rating should be the same.Here in Quebec and for years,Jonsered are always cheaper than Husky and they are from the same distributor.They are cheaper to get a larger market share,marketing strategy.

macpower

Every one knows the red and black paint job increases the power output substantially. Orange is just a slower cutting color.
I have customers that run both 359s and 2159s that will swear the JRed has more power, go figure? Engines are the same, sometimes I think the JReds are a bit better finished, but nothing I could prove. I sell Jonsered, so I may be biased.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

sh25

i think the husky has a better feel to it with the angled bar as opposed to the jonny`s straight across bar, which makes the husky have more power and loger chain life! :D

macpower

The handle on the Husky makes them cut crooked. Ever notice how every tree you drop will fall directly towards the spot you set your lunch pail down? That's a Husky trait, the JRed will drop them all limbed and butt to the skidder. Jonny's a better saw all around!
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

beenthere

macpower
You sure present some formidable arguments in favor of them Jonny's  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

macpower

Yup, and the oilers come all set up to keep your boots waterproof!

ehp

are both saws using the same muffler cause the motors are the same

macpower

Husky PNs send me to the same muffler as the 2156 and 2159 JReds.

ehp

I have got 359's with different mufflers on them but most are E-tech now so they have the plate inside the muffler

Mojo

On the new Jred's there is probably a small gain in power from the carb compensations system that is not available on the Husky. In cold weather, if the carb jets are identical, there can't be any extra power from the same parts, but in warmer weather, the compensation system will automatically lean down the jetting to create more power from the better fuel/air ratio. If the power measurements are made at a temp where the compensation system is actively leaning the jetting, then there will be a horsepower difference. We all know the 359 isn't jetted overly rich from the factory, so maybe the Jred is jetted richer, yet can still meet epa requirements since the compensator corrects when the extra fuel isn't needed.

SawTroll

The 2159 have "allways" been rated .1 kW higher than the 359. Coinsidense has it that it calculates into .2 hp with rounded off numbers at the power level in question.

I have never seen a good explenation of the difference, and I tend to think it is just marketing, as the 2156 became available several years after the 357xp.... ???

DLG/KWF test reports show the sameĀ  max output and max torque for both models. ::)
Information collector.

4woody

I have an old jhonssonred 930 what cc is it & hp please

sawguy21

Mike's site says the 930 is 87cc but does not give a horsepower rating. It was a great saw in it's day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

I have never seen a power rating for the 930 either, but it came out at about the same time as the Husky 288xp (maybe a bit later), and has the same bore and stroke.
I would not be surpriced if the engine of the 288 was "inherited" from Jonsered, as Husky didn't have any 87 cc saws before the 288, and Jonsered(s) had the 90, 910 and 920.
The 288xp was rated at 4.5 kW/6.1 hp, provided my memory serves, so I don't think the 930 was far from that.

This is just my thoughts on the subject, so I may be off.......
Information collector.

4woody

Thank You Sponsors!