iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the name of this one.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 06, 2015, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thomas Switzer from N.C. has a friend who sawed this one. It bleeds....what is it?

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpharmer

Could it be Indian Redwood?

Where's WDH and Dodgy Loner when you need them?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ocklawahaboy

I dont know about the NC Part but it bleeds like a dragon blood tree

WV Sawmiller

Have no idea what kind of tree that is but went trekking in Central African Republic around 2003 with a Baka pygmy medicine woman and she whacked a tree in the jungle with her machete and it ran red sap like that. She explained through our interpreter that she used it to make a tea to give to women suffering with menstrual cramps. My wife was along and thought it was neat that the red sap was used for women's medicine.

I am sure lots of her medicine was in the mind of her patients but I am convinced some of her cures were valid. I'd hate to see that knowledge lost along with the rain forests and because people get formal educations and lose the old knowledge (like the things our ancestors knew but we have forgotten).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

Never seen anything like it, except the other day when I grabbed an old spray can of timber marking paint ;D it drooled just about like that ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Poston,

You can see the pygmy medicine woman and the tree on my wife's website @ greensphotographicservices.com. Go to gallery then select Africa then select Central African Republic and go to picture #11 of 74. The bark does not look the same to me.

Good luck finding what this is.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Buck

Ok guys, this was on Facebook this morning and was contributed by someone on the Wildland Firefighters page.  I shared it with Poston because it was something kinda unusual.  It appeared to be "bleeding" . Seems like the caption was something like dragonwood or something like that. When I went back trying to find it and couldn't. so.......
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sure WOOD love to have a log or 2 like that to saw.  8) 8) 8)

Buck

I really was expecting WDH to come through for us....
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We probably stumped him. If this were JEOPARDY, this would be a daily double.  :)

Buck

Ornamental...Dragons blood tree....origin, somewhere around the Indian Ocean.  This was in the comments when I finally found the post. It's still interesting :-\

WDH

I don't do tropicals or exotics  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warped

Cool! Self lubing and cooling tree, what will they think of next? I'm betting square trees!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2015, 09:51:52 PM
I don't do tropicals or exotics  :).
"marginal parenchyma" sounds pretty exotic.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 07, 2015, 08:56:45 PM

"marginal parenchyma" sounds pretty exotic.

She was back in the '70's. He used to call her MARGIE.  ;D

reswire

I googled "bleeding trees in the US" and got a link to a you-tube site, that predicts the apocalypse is near when trees start to bleed.  Ended that search.  I've got too many bills to have the apocalypse start now.  ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mopar70

the guy fell asleep behind the bar.....

fishpharmer

TR, that article is where my "google expertise" came from on this subject, then I searched the images of the different species to arrive at Indian redwood.  To me the bark seemed similar. 

If I could just examine a sliver under a lens I could probably be more certain.  ;) :D :D ;D   All joking aside, I really admire those fellas that can do that.

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 08, 2015, 04:31:34 PM
http://www.ehow.com/info_8731983_kind-tree-red-sap.html

appears Eucalyptus bleeds red, as well
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!