iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HUSKY 372 XP 28" BAR ?

Started by MULE_MAN, April 01, 2005, 08:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MULE_MAN

I was wondering is a 28" Bar on a Husky 372 XP too much Bar for the saw
or should a person get a 24" Bar ???  Just wondering which way to go ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

jjmk98k

whew weeeeee thats a big bar you got there pardner........ ;D

I think you should just the size bar based on the size trees you're planning on cutting with it. I think Husky says to limit the 372 EX PEE to a 34" bar, so at 28" I would assume you'd be ok.

I am sure someone with experience on a '372 XP will be along to better answer your questions.

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Larry

I used to run a 28" on my 272 XP just fine.  I like the 24" better because I think it is easier to limb with and better balance.  Also the 28" bar was still to short to clean a lot of the oaks with the typical butt swell, so really the extra length wasn't much benefit.

Traded the 28" to a buddy for a 32" to split them big logs...but it's to much bar for my 272 XP.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rebocardo

28" will be fine, especially if you are cutting softwoods or using full skip.

I use full skip with a 28" bar on a Husky 365 and it works well.  Full comp in 28"+ white oak can slow you down a bit, but, it still works fine, it pretty much flies through pine and sweetgum.

MULE_MAN

Well I was thinking about the 28" Bar for splitting logs that are too big
for the Mill . And wasn't sure if  the 372 XP had enough power for it

Larry

Well that's a different story.  I use the 32" bar for splitting logs infrequently.  Never run it buried like it would be in felling a tree...usually cut couple of strips and my 272 XP has plenty of power for that.  I try to avoid as much as possible those logs that need split.

Ya might IM UrbanLogger, as he splits them big boys all the time with his 372 XP running a 32" bar I think?? and get his opinion.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kirk_Allen

Muleman:
I run a 28" bar on my 372xp and have no problem.  I like the skiptooth chain better than the full comp but even with a full comp I fell 40"+ white oaks with no problem.  I have had the full bar pulling chips on 100s of ocasions with no complaints.  The key is to keep the chain sharp!

I did trash the nose sprocket of my 28" bar today but it has felled at least 300 trees in the last three years and I know bucked close to 1000 logs. It earned its way through thick and thin!

lucky_cutter

I have only ran 28-32 inch bars on my 272 and 372.  I have split many rounds of oak with this combination.  You will be fine. You will not win any speed contest though. As Kirk said."keep the chain sharp." My stove will take a 28" log, but for some reason my 8# splitter does not like logs longer than 18 inches.  I KNOW that it couldn't be ME. I end up splitting a lot of long "overnighter" oak logs by cutting them.

Just so we are on the same page, I flip the round over so I am not cutting on the end grain, and I keep the bar angled either slightly up or down.  You will know when you hit the sweet spot because the long curly chips will come out on handfulls and fly. Keep an eye on the wood where the muffler is because you will be cuttting a bit slower and the muffler can throw enough heat to the log to start a fire.  (if the conditions are really dry) All those long curly chips make great fire starter as well. Sometomes the chain will throw the chips back to the saw and cause too much friction  for the chain (by the clutch) as well as possibly start a fire. Your ear will let you know if the chain is clogging up or you are bearing down too hard. Be patient and let the saw do the work.

sigidi

My local tree doctor recommended the 372 xp to me with a 24" bar he said I can use his 30" bar anytime I wanted and also mentioned the reason he didn't recommend the 30" was that it would be in the dirt all the time.

Clearly the 372 will push a 30" without hassle or maybe with a skip chain, but regardless Wifey thinks I am having an affair with Harry as she is just neat-o awesome!!! :D ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

lucky_cutter

When I got my first "big" saw, my neighbor who has done a lot of logging told me to get the longer bar because it is far far better to have the bar in the dirt than in the foot or ankle. Most importantly, Awlays know there the tip is because the one time you do not things can get real ugly real quick. My experience has been that if you stick to the recommended bar lenths for the saw, you can have multiple bars and always have the right lenth for the job. Having two different saws are more fun though.

rebocardo

> you can have multiple bars and always have the right lenth for the job.
> Having two different saws are more fun though.

I agree 100%!  People sometimes remark why do I have two or three different saws in the truck. Because I use the best tool for the job.

MULE_MAN

Yes , I have 3 saws now and there all Stihl  , And I want to try a Husky this time around
and see how that works.  So this will be number 4  , But  24 " is the biggest Bar I have right
now  And I though a 28 " or bigger would do a little better to split with  ???

fishhuntcutwood

MULE_MAN- Which Stihls do you have that none of them can handle a 24"+ bar?  Or do you have a 460 or 660 and just run a 24" on it?

And I've never owned a 372, but I think it's obvious, and I'd have to agree, that a 372 will have no problem whatsoever handling a 28".

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

MULE_MAN

It's  older Stihl 056 mag. II   And it's a pretty heavy saw  ::)  It will handle a bigger
bar alright, But it's old  & It's  time for a New Saw

fishhuntcutwood

Oh yeah, I hear you there M_M.  I've got an 056 Super, and it runs well, and has power, but it doesn't get used much anymore, as it weighs 6 lbs more than my 460, and has a bit less hp.  They're great saws, and back in the day, they where the "lumberjack's saw" and preferred for a long time.  Alot of guys use that Mag II for milling.  If it's running well, they're Q monsters, and will mill all day long.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!