iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iron Pack Mule

Started by Corley5, December 15, 2008, 10:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

A few days ago my neighbor Rich got in touch with me about doing some forwarding work for him.  He wasn't sure if they would require my assistance let alone the date but I told him to give me a call if my services would be of use.  He called yesterday just after 9AM and this is what the Mule and I spent the morning doing  8) 8)

Animal #1 flies out of the ironwood and on to the buggy

#2 about to be and being loaded

A load of elk 8) 8)

The lucky, happy and very tired hunters

Loading up

Loaded up

Rich, the hunter's guide and owner of the property

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

farmerdoug

Greg,  Does the DNR know you are catching elk with your forwarder? ::) :D :D :D :D

That is multi tasking with your machine.  I can see it now, forwarder manufacturers will be at the guide shows selling there elk hauling equipment. ;D ;D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ron Scott

Well done! Another good use for the Iron Mule.
~Ron

Norm

Cool!

Looks like you really have the snow depth there. Hows the mule handle wading through it?

Burlkraft

Them are some pretty nice elk fer east of the Mississip  8)   8)   8)

Wisconsin has a herd, but we'll prolly never have a season  :-\  :-\

If we do and I get one, I'll be sure ta call ya  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Corley5

The snow was over a foot deep and real wet.  It started out as 3 feet of powder before we had a couple days of temps in the upper 30s.  The Mule walks through it without any problems.  The ring chains make all the difference  ;D  There were a couple pretty steep hills that it did some chewing on  :)  Maybe I can get on the DNR's official elk retriever list.  Give me a call when you get that Wi. permit Steve  8) 8)
  Your Wi. elk are descendants of our elk.  They were trapped on the Ford property east of Wolverine.  There were plans to get more but bovine TB was found in the deer and elk and that put an end to it.  These elk are descended from Rocky Mt elk that were planted in the early 1900s south of town.  They've been poached almost to extinction on a couple occasions especially in the 60s but have hung in there.  There's usually a prehunt population of 12-1300 animals with a herd size goal of 900.  I hate em myself.  A dead elk is the best kind.   

Norm

Do they cause lots of damage to crops and such Greg?

Corley5

They're he** on corn, oats, alfalfa etc and can destroy aspen regeneration.  There are areas in the Pigeon River State forest where the aspen was clearcut, the elk moved in on the regen and now it's grassland.  The main reason for the hunt is to keep the animals in a core area away from the ag areas.  The Aug, Sept and sometimes Jan hunts only allow hunting in the outlying areas.  A half dozens bulls like these guys can make a pretty serious dent in a ten acre corn field.  I speak from experience  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ron Scott

Greg,
Do you have many elk on your property? I've seen some of their timber damage up on the Pidgeon River State Forest. They'll walk a good size aspen tree right down to "munch" on it.
~Ron

Corley5

Since I quit trying to grow corn because of them we seldom see them here.  I counted 14 bulls at one time about ten years ago.  I'd have hunters lined up for the early seasons, the elk would be making scrapes in the fields and over night they'd be gone and wouldn't be back until November then they'd move out after deer season and wouldn't be back until April.  These animals were killed about 2 1/2 miles from here.

Jeff

Greg, couldn't guiding be more profitable then the actual selling of the corn grown?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Quote from: Jeff on December 16, 2008, 01:45:15 PM
Greg, couldn't guiding be more profitable then the actual selling of the corn grown?

I was thinking the same ... sling_shot smiley_indianbrave
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

Me too, If I ever got a permit, maybe Greg could be my guide. ;)
~Ron

Corley5

I suppose being a guide could be more profitable but it's just as hit and miss and requires lots of pre season homework locating animals etc and then there's dealing with inexperienced hunters who've never been on a hunt of this sort etc.  Is it worth the head ache  ???  Not to me  ;D :) :)  The elk leave this area during the early seasons and to leave standing corn to keep them here for the Dec hunt would be a waste and elk and whitetails don't get along which screws up Dad's deer hunting and did I mention I hate elk  ;) :)  I'll leave the elk guiding to Rich  :) :)  If anybody here ever draws a permit get in touch with me.  I've got inside info I'll pass along free of charge  ;) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!