iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recycled 7 x 15 timbers for log cabin

Started by jdtuttle, June 07, 2012, 08:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

I'm in the process of building cabins and have access to 7 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 19' douglas fir timbers. I plan on milling down to 6 1/2" x 14 1/2" to clean them up. I will router 2 - 7/16" mortise in each beam top & bottom for splines. Add adhesive & lags for each row. Dovetail outside corners. The moisture content is 12%. The only problem I see is the logs were never kiln dried & I'm worried about sap running. Anyone have any experience with doing this? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
jim
Have a great day

clww

I'm wodering how old these beams are? Would there be any running sap if these are really old?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jander3

I am not familar with moisture content.   

However, how old are the logs?    In general a log building cut green takes about 3 years to settle.   So if the logs are under 3 years old, they are going to settle some.

Round logs cut green and placed on building will settle about 3/4" per foot of wall height.  (i.e. if the window header is at 6' when installed after the logs shrink they will be at 5' 7 1/2").  Therefore window and door openings are splined with keyway to allow for the settling.

If the timbers are dry, no need to allow for the settling. 

The round logs (Red Pine) on my cabin are about 5 years old, I still see a little sap from the knots when the temperature changes.

jdtuttle

QuoteI'm wodering how old these beams are? Would there be any running sap if these are really old?
There from a military storage building built in 1941. Sap will still run if the temp gets  warm enough. The inside will be a controlled environment so shouldn't be a problem, the outside may be an issue. Some timbers were cut & set in the sun & sap did run. I'm pretty sure I won't get any settling, but will allow for some around  openings. Just in case.
Jim
Have a great day

clww

That's a real surprise to me. I would have guessed that after 70 years, all the sap would have dried up, evaporated or crystallized. I learn more on here daily.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!