iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Second GOL event hosted at our farm!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, December 07, 2015, 02:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

Yesterday we hosted a level 2 GOL event at the farm. You couldn't have asked for a nicer day in December in New England! The morning was spent on saw maintenance, bar, chain and sprocket problem diagnoses, and hand filing. Then we headed to the woods to learn and practice some spring pole cutting and then we all dropped a tree for score. My nephew beat me out for first place but I took second. Now I have a bunch more trees down in the area we have been performing a crop tree release (for sugar maples). White, red, and black oak, a couple of birch and several ash trees.
Everyone had a good time and we all learned something new!

Maintenance work:

Sharpening:

Setting up a spring pole:

Andrew's tree: Needed a little wedging to get it to go....

Big John with half of a double ash:

My brother-in-law with the other half:

Scott working on his notch:

My nephew (who took first place) working on his tree...

thechknhwk

Wish there was one of those courses around here.  Looks fun & informative

D2 Cody

Looks like a good time and I bet a guy could learn a lot and also help others to if knowledgible on a question.Wish we had a group like that in my area.Sounds like the skills you went over would be a great lesson for everyone or at least a great refresher.Thanks for posting👍
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

snowstorm

he really should have gloves on while filing a chain. one little slip and its gonna hurt

beenthere

And I would find gloves to be cumbersome when filing... different strokes.. (old saying)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

Quote from: beenthere on December 07, 2015, 08:11:20 PM
And I would find gloves to be cumbersome when filing... different strokes.. (old saying)
well maybe i have been filing chains longer than you

Holmes

Good to see your continuing education with the GOL classes. It is the best way to learn chainsawing.
  I do not wear gloves when filing and I hold the chain right next to the tooth I'm filing
Think like a farmer.

711ac

thecfarm

Game Of Logging. It's a big deal in this area. Teaches you the ways to work in the woods. Well worth it to take.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: snowstorm on December 07, 2015, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: beenthere on December 07, 2015, 08:11:20 PM
well maybe i have been filing chains longer than you

Maybe.. have been since the first ones in 1958.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CCC4

I dont wear gloves until it's bad cold...as far as sharpening with gloves, I know some hard asses that swear by it but I was always afraid of the filings collecting on my gloves then accidentally wiping my eyes or nose. I was more looking at the leg thrown over the saw, what happens when he has to switch sides?

mesquite buckeye

What is that big lump in the bottom picture?

We can't afford those at my Missouri place. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 08, 2015, 10:36:32 AM

We're filthy rich with them in New England.... :-\

timberlinetree

Nice job and thanks for posting. Looks like you had great weather conditions! always wanted to take that class.I use gloves when I can find them. Must go through 10 pairs a year. Marcia said if my head wasn't attached to me I would lose that to!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BargeMonkey

Good pictures.  ;)   GOL training is handled by empire forest products out here and they have really tried to keep up on the paperwork and scheduling classes, we have held a few level 1-2 and logger rescue classes. I've got 3-4 guys I've tried to get to take the classes, not loggers but wood cutting landowners, it's like talking to a brick wall. One recently cut himself very badly with a saw, was to embarrassed to tell me about it because I had GIVEN him a brand new set of chaps a few yrs ago and "I don't need to wear those".  Being TLC certified is a HUGE money maker around here, 2-5k a job in kickbacks from NYC and alot of guys still fight the system.
You should send those rocks out here, we cant pile them fast enough for the rich city people over at the ski slopes to put in their yards as landscaping. :) I have a liner for my log truck set up just for hauling shot rock or landscape stone.

thecfarm

BargeMonkey,get your butt up here!! I can make you a rich man!!!! I have great big ones,size of a car or small ones and every size in between. I have some that I have no idea how big they are. Stone walls out in the woods,if you run out of rocks in the field.
I also dig rocks so I don't have to mow around them too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

You get over the border into Greene county around the ski slopes, or into Otsego county by Cooperstown and the people don't care what stuff costs, more money than brains sometimes, we don't mind.   :D

g_man

I know a lot of people who have taken GOL and they are all positive about it. The thing that holds me back is the price. It is $170 for each one day level class around here and they make you start at level one and go up thru. Not saying it is not worth it but $680 is a lot to get to level 4.

gg

DeerMeadowFarm

Hey g_man, yah it's pricey for sure. I took my level one in VT a many years ago and it was $150 then. Bill Girard charges $150 now for the events he has hosted at our place. I observed a lot but not all of the level one class he taught at our place and he went over a lot of things my BIL and I never learned at the course we took in VT. I'm not sure if the training program changed since we took it, or if Bill just gives you more for the money, but I really like him as an instructor.

BargeMonkey

http://nycwatershed.org/loggertraining/

I know it's a drive for some of you guys but the classes are cheaper and I doubt they would say no. They tend to shift the classes around, but we are do for a level 1-2 out this way and could ask for one within 1hr of Albany.

DeerMeadowFarm

BargeMonkey

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on December 10, 2015, 09:07:28 AM
Wow, that's really inexpensive!
If you download the calendar you will see all the dates listed, unfortunately I don't know when the 2016 one will be out. 2 pictures are of us, and 2 of my cousins operation. NYC loves to spend money for clean water.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on December 08, 2015, 10:38:19 AM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 08, 2015, 10:36:32 AM

We're filthy rich with them in New England.... :-\

If it were central Mexico, the trees would be cut down and there would be corn growing between each rock. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

g_man

We have a beaver who has taken the GOL course. He is practicing the Humboldt and getting pretty good at it  ;D

gg

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: g_man on December 14, 2015, 09:01:28 AM
We have a beaver who has taken the GOL course. He is practicing the Humboldt and getting pretty good at it  ;D

gg

Ouch - looks like a decent YB. Nice technique mr beaver has though.  :o
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!