iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borer

Started by Ron Scott, July 31, 2002, 10:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

A new, exotic pest of ash (Fraxinus spp.) was recently discovered in southeastern Michigan. This Asian beetle belongs to the same family as the bronze birch borer and two-lined chestneu borer, Bupresidae. It's called the Emerald Ash Borer.

Extensive ash decline and mortality is occuring in Wayne, Macomb, Livingston, Oakland, St. Clair and Washtenaw Counties in southeast Michigan. Both ornamental and natural stands of white, black and green ash are affected.

In response, state agriculture officials have issued a quarantine on all ash trees and timber products in the affected counties to help prevent and control the spread of this pest. Under this quarantine, ash trees, branches, logs, and firewood may not be moved outside the affected area unless certified for movement by the Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDA).

A new pest alert describing the borer and it's damage; a map of the current known distribution of the borer; and a copy of the rews release used by the Michigan Department of Agriculture last week can be found at the following website:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/eab/index.html

Please notify the Michigan DNR Forest Health Program, the Michigan Department of Agriculture or University Forest Entomologist if you find this insect or its damage on ash outside the known infected areas. It also occurs across the river from Detroit in Windsor, Ontario.

Tollfree Hotline: 1-866-325-0023
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

If it's Asian, then it probably came in on pallets from China.  This is the second major pest to come in from Asia in the past 5 years.  

When are we going to wise up and have them treat their pallets like Europe is doing to ours?  It really makes sense, although it is more expensive.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

CHARLIE

1. I don't think treating pallets is more expensive if you include the cost of trying to eradicate these foreign bugs and the loss of timber.

2. If they would build re-usable pallets, then the treated pallets could be used several times before they had to be scrapped. This would reduce the cost of treated pallets also.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodmills1

this interests me as we also have extensive ash decline here in southern NH.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

Ash decline isn't due to borers.  One of the contributors is thought to be acid rain, thanks to Midwestern power plants.

Maybe the ash will go the way of the flowering dogwood.  It's been awhile since I've seen them as they were 30 years ago.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I'd like to say, "Come South", but, as pretty as the trees are, their aren't the trees that there were.  The woods used to be full of dogwood and a trip down any highway was like a walk in the garden.  I guess I've not noticed the decline as much as some people because it has been so slow.  If acid rain is the culprit then the whole country suffers.

woodmills1

now up here in nh i miss the dogwood of my wva days and come to think of it i miss the sassafrass also. was so nice to pull the young root and taste it.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

whitepe

Folks,

I don't know what's causing it but all of the
"wild" ash trees in the small wooded gully
behind my back yard all died off last spring.
About 15-20 trees.
By wild I mean that they were not planted.
I have four that were planted in my back yard
from nursery stock in 1977 that are fine.
Most of the trees that died were 6-8 inches in diameter
but a few were 12-15 inches. I noticed it
when they didn't leaf out in the spring.

I also had several dozen out of about 150 planted pine trees that died off over the last 3-4 years. I think that
pine bark beetles got them but again I am not sure.
I cut all of the dead ones down and burned them.

Back in 1988-1989, these same pine trees were losing
all of their needles. A closer inspection revealed
thousands of worms all over the trees. I took a couple
to the local lawn and garden nursery and they
said that they were saw fly larva.  I bought a quart or
two of evergreen spray and about three 75 foot sections
of garden hose and sprayed all of the trees.
The larva all dropped off the trees and immediately died.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

swampwhiteoak

An isolated pocket of Emerald Ash Borer was just confirmed in Lucas County Ohio.  I had the opportunity to look at the site, this thing is not pretty and is going to be very tough to survey for.  Has anyone had the chance to take a look at the damage in Michigan?  
News Release and a few pictures
http://www.state.oh.us/agr/PLNT-eabindex.html

Jeff

Here are some pics that Swamp took that he will have comments for. Some nasty results from this pest. We may lose a lot of our Ash. They are talking possibly on the scale of the dutch elm.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

swampwhiteoak

Thanks for posting the pictures Jeff.

Pic #1 - You can see gallery activity and the characteristic "D" shaped exit hole.

Pic #2 - Like #1, this is with the bark removed, this is the only known borer that has this type of activity on ash.

Pic #3 - Unlike the USDA fact sheet, where the larvae look lime green, it's actually a milky white.  The larvae of Agrilus species tend to get into a U-shape prior to pupation.

Pic #4 - This is what the bark of the trees looked like due to woodpecker activity.  These things must be tasty because the trees were absolutely covered with woodpecker holes.

It's unknown how the insect jumped from where it was in Michigan to Ohio.  It almost has to have been moved by a human, probably in firewood.  Respect quarantines!    

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

If you have ash you should be afraid. Very Afraid. From what I am hearing is that they may try to actually eliminate the ash species from infected areas to try to stop the spread. I doubt if they can contain this. Looking at swamps photos, its pretty apparent that they can't.

redpowerd

that is preeeety freaky! i hope it dont come up north, are them the only two states with the problem? id like to see some pics of what its done overseas. im a gunna shoe some snow this afternoon an keep my eyes peeled. they look like they would make some pretty cabin logs.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

swampwhiteoak

The borer is native to Asia, since it has evolved with the ash over there it isn't a huge problem. Actually when they originally discovered this insect, no one could figure out what it was.  It got bounced around to different labs, I think someone in Britian eventually came back with the answer.

The USFS people that have been working on this is Michigan came down to Ohio to help identify it.  I got a chance to pick some of their brains about it.  They estimated this damage (in Ohio) started probably 3 yrs ago.  The borer will start near where the crown forks, usually 4-6" material and then move down the tree.  What that says to me is that it is going to be very tough to survey for, since climbing 50 feet up every ash tree just isn't going to happen.  The Ohio Dept. of Agriculture is coming up with a plan to deal with our infestation.  As I understand it, the original plan in Michigan was to create a 3 mile wide "fire break" around infested areas where every ash tree would be taken down.  Hopefully it isn't too late for that plan to work out.  Don't know about Michigan, but ash is common in nearly every forest type in Ohio.  I'm probably paranoid, but I'm afraid that if this insect isn't controlled quick, ash will end up being like elm, still common, but never like it used to be.

Kevin_H.

I had a sawing customer call today, seems he has some ash trees he needs cut up. He told me that all the tops have fallen out of them.
When he cut them down he found black beetles in them, Does not sound like the ash borer, I hope to get some pics later this month when I saw them up.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Ron Scott

Adults are dark metallic green (Emerald) in color, measuring approximately 1/2 inch long and 1/16 inch wide, and are present from May until late june.

Larvae are creamy white color and can be found under the bark of affected trees as noted in Swamp's photos above.

It infects all ash trees in Michigan, white, black, and green. Infested trees exhibit top-down dieback.

Report any suspected infestations to the Emerald Ash Borer Hot Line at 866-325-0023
~Ron

Corley5

I assume the adult beetles can fly.  How far can they fly seeking other trees to infect?  I've got a few nice ash around the place and some real nice regen in a spot.  I'd really hate to lose any of it.  Then if the Beech bug comes along there they go and if the Asian Long-Horned Beetle shows up... >:( :( :'(  Are we going to have any native species left or are we going to have to reforest with Asian varieties? ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Yes, the emerald ash borer is a good flier, but human activities are the primary cause of long distance spread. This includes moving infested trees, logs, and firewood.

Transporting ash firewood from a southern Michigan woodlot to a northern Michigan deer camp is not a good idea so hopefully the quarantine is respected.

It seems that there is always somethin "new" attacking our trees.
~Ron

Jeff

See press release:
http://www.mda.state.md.us/press/eabadv.htm

The pest reportedly came in on infested nursery stock that traveled from Michigan to Tennessee to Maryland via the trade.  A State inspector conducting a routine inspection for fire ants made the intial discovery, which was later confirmed by appropriate agencies.  Most units were destroyed, but 20 infested trees have been sold and are at unknown locations in the landscape.  MDA is working with nurserymen to research records and determine locations of buyers of affected stock.  Surveys are planned.  Ash is not a significant component of forests in the vicinity of the nursery, so surveys will focus on urban areas where ash is present at that location.

tim1234

Just to let you know, you don't have to totaly waste an infected tree.  Here in Michigan there is a company called Last Chance Logs to Lumber.  They have permission from the state to saw the logs as long as the outer 2 inches are peeled and properly disposed of.  They are keeping thousands of board feet of perfectly good Ash out of the fireplace and in this case a wood fired electricity plant.  If anyone in in the Detroit MI area and wants to save some of their Ash for boards they can contact this company.  I have 1 tree and my neighbor has a second (whicl looks like it is infected).  My tree is estimated to have about 600 board feet of usable wood.  It only costs about 40 cents to have it milled.  Not bad.  I noticed they are listed in the Find-A-Sawyer function on this board if anyone is interested.  I also have their phone number.

Regards

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Jeff

Last chance is our member atlast. I'm the one who put him in contact with my friends at the DNR. Lots of good has started on this forum.

AtLast

I personally appreciate the friendship with you Jeff and all the others I have had the pleasure of meeting on this Fourm.  You sent me in the right direction Jeff and since than I have made it all the way to the Govs desk.  Ive never been to so many meetings in my entire life. I have DEFINATELY learned more than I care to admit about the " wheels of government" I have and will continue to approach the people I come in contact with in regards to helping sponser this fourm. The Urban and Community Forestry section of the DNR and Last Chance Logs to Lumber are working together towards an end result of making Michigan a leader in the reclaiming and recycling of Urban Natural Resources. Thanks again Jeff

Jeff

Hurray!

You did what I ask of you the first time we talked. Do you remember?

AtLast

;D JEFF!!...OF COURSE!!....like I said in the post...its rediculas the hoops ya gotts jump through ..getting through to " people" is unbelievebale!!!...and now-a-day asking for money is WORSE than pullin teeth....BUT..I am persistant in it and I REALLY think is will pay off.... 8)

Thank You Sponsors!