iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another fish record.

Started by fishpharmer, January 05, 2011, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandhills

WOW!!! I sell calves at that weight, but price..... no, not gonna happen :(
fish, what do you average on price for your fish?  I'm sure it varies just like everything else, but a rough figure would be interesting and what do you figure for initial exspence, cost of gain, etc.?  I've never been around a fish farm so this is really going to sound stupid but do you raise your own fish or do you buy minnows to restock your ponds?

fishpharmer

Good questions.  Sandhills, just like cattle, the single largest expense is feed.  Cost of production primarily depends on that.  Since being involved with fish (primarily channel catfish), the price of feed has been as low as $200 per ton to the highs of almost $500 per ton.  Processors pay sixty to eighty cents per pound.  High feed prices can push cost of production upto a dollar per pound.  Lots of variables; fuel, electricity, labor, transport, interest to name a few.    Most farmers buy fingerlings to restock ponds, its the second largest expense. I hatch and raise all my own.  Cheap imports, like in many industries, are hurting the US catfish industry.  The poor economy has hurt demand as well.  Hope that answers some questions.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

I understand that the bluefin stocks are being over-harvested and the population is in serious decline.  The Japanese don't seem to care as long as they get their sushi.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

John Cabot in 1497 wrote that you could dip cod fish out of the Grand Banks off Newfoundland by the basket full. Pretty much every fishery in the world has fished those waters, including many when fishermen in our own country were banned by regulation.  Not much of a cod fishery there now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

It is hard to imagine that the Amazon is running out of fish but it is.  Fish farms are now taking hold in a big way here.

Hundreds of years of throwing poison in the rivers to get enough fish for a meal and letting thousands rot has taken its toll.  The poison comes from various tree saps.

CX3

A pretty neat thing here now is putting in catfish ponds and people pay to fish.  Of course the ponds are full of 5 pounders and the cost is like four or five dollars a pound.  But its fun and good eating.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

They did the same with rainbow trout here for a few years. The ponds are all now abandoned. Couldn't seem to raise brook trout that way, they are very sensitive to water changes and you can loose the whole lot within a 24 hr period. And they don't like mud bottom ponds, they are a fish like Atlantic salmon that need gravel bottom not only to spawn but to be healthy. When a brook gets ruined here with mud from runoff the trout all die and the chub take over. Our best brook trout fishing was in streams and near springs of lakes with gravel that shined like gold in the sun. The mica mineral in it made the shine. I can remember fishing in stretches of slow flowing water and walking up a brook with that nice gravel under your feet. Used to just wear a pair of canvas sneakers and wade. That was nice to fish. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!