iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New log arch(picture added)

Started by Crossroads, May 11, 2018, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

My hunting partner works in a all female prison, he runs the shop where they do training for trades. Anyway, before I left for Africa last month, he asked if I'd be interested in having a log arch made for my trailer and of coarse, I said yes. I was a little pressed for time getting ready for the mission trip, but managed to squeeze in a day to take my trailer and drop it off at the prison. He quoted me $350, $270 for materials and $80 for labor, which seemed pretty good to me. Now that I'm home, I was sick for 3 days, then had a milling job, then back to work for 4 days, then 2 more milling jobs and finally a day to go pick it up. I got to meet the gal who did the work, I'm not sure how she got to where she is, but hope she finds a different path when she gets released that includes welding, because she did a fine job. I was surprised to find that she had rebuilt my tail light holders and replaced the lights with ones that will move stuff before they break. She built adjustable legs for the back that will pivot out of the way. The arch can be removed by pulling tractor pins and is built out of 2x3 tubing. Sorry I don't have pictures of it yet, but they'll come soon. As an added bonus, they ended up saving some money and I got $50 back, but I had to promise to take some video of it in use, which I'll be able to do next Tuesday when I pick up 4 white oak logs that I'm buying to cut cribbing blocks out of.

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

Many years ago, I was a civilian employee of the US Navy.  We did QA on ships built by private shipyards for the Navy.  My job was a structural inspector.  I did a lot of nondestructive resting on welded structures on those ships (many Perry Class FFG's).

The women were, without a doubt, the absolute best welders in the yard. 

My wish is as yours, that your welder finds a higher path and many successes! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

bandmiller2

A woman can do anything she sets her mind to, they are just too smart to do the stuff we do. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Crossroads

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 11, 2018, 08:40:23 PM
A woman can do anything she sets her mind to, they are just too smart to do the stuff we do. Frank C.
Oh my, don't let them hear you say that, there will be no living with them lol   

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 11, 2018, 08:34:58 PM
Many years ago, I was a civilian employee of the US Navy.  We did QA on ships built by private shipyards for the Navy.  My job was a structural inspector.  I did a lot of nondestructive resting on welded structures on those ships (many Perry Class FFG's).

The women were, without a doubt, the absolute best welders in the yard.

My wish is as yours, that your welder finds a higher path and many successes!
Now that I think of it, where I was in Liberia, the head welder in that shop was a female.

Dakota

I would have tipped her that $50.
Dave Rinker

Crossroads

Quote from: Dakota on May 12, 2018, 09:33:07 AM
I would have tipped her that $50.
I would like to have done that, but it's not allowed. However there may be an avenue to put something on credit for her. Thanks for getting me to put more thought into this....

Magicman

Angola prison which is South of me in Louisiana, does not accept $$$.  You deliver twice as much lumber as the project may require.  Half for the project and half for them.

As information Angola built the caskets for Rev. and Mrs. Billy Graham.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I had an opportunity to try out the new arch yesterday and it seems to work good. My 8k winch May not be enough though, or I may just have to focus on smaller logs. I had to use a double block purchase to move this oak that weighted about 4900#

Magicman

Remember that laying down some ~2" pipe, etc. for the log to roll on will ease things up quite a bit.  Helps with unloading too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Yeah I had planned on taking some fence post to roll on, but forgot them at home. I did smear some oil on the deck and that helped. Now I just need to avoid stepping there on rainy days lol 

Magicman

When this log was delivered to the sawmill I asked how he got it up there.  He pointed to the pipe seen above between the wheels.  Unloading was also a simple matter.  Hooked onto the end and she rolled right off.

Crossroads

That looks like a hefty chunk of wood MM. I'll definitely have to be sure to load those fence posts next time. I wasn't able to pull that oak off with my little Kubota, but I was able to dig the bucket in and drive out from under it okay. 

Thank You Sponsors!