iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter feeding of deer

Started by thecfarm, January 18, 2018, 08:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bay Beagle

Quote from: coxy on January 31, 2018, 07:24:05 PM
I was told that hole corn does nothing for the deer it just fills there gut they eat it hole and crap it hole  :-\ :-\

I'll question that - deer are browsers, so a little of this and a little of that makes up their diet.  In agg areas, corn and beans, peanuts and sunflowers make up a portion of their diet, along with nuts and foliage.  They need to be accumated to their food source to build a gut bacteria, to help digest, and breakdown the food source.  In all my years, I have never seen corn in deer scat.

4x4American

Quote from: Larry on January 29, 2018, 08:14:33 PM
Kathy feeds the deer.  I watch and learn a lot about deer life.

What I have learned.

• Deer freely share the food with birds, raccoons, squirrels, and many other animals.
  • One old doe is the queen and will smack those that get out of line or try to hog the food.
  • Deer up to one year old and perhaps older love to play.
  • Although much bigger, deer do not trust cats.
  • When traveling in a group the front runners will always stop to make sure the laggards are still coming.
  • Bucks will turn into does in a week or two.  They begin to be more active during the day.
  • Freshly dropped acorns are candy and much better than corn.
  • Old acorns must taste similar to boot leather.
  • Humans could learn a thing or two from deer.

I don't trust cats either!!  Must be the deer have seen all the youtube videos about cats
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

I hate to tell the step son I saw 25 deer last night. The most so far.
He has no idea where they go,during daylight,during hunting season. He has been a trying to figure that out.
Hunting areas are getting built up around his area,or posted. Houses development are going up. He lives about 25 miles from me,close to the city,real close.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

do any of you see any deer with the warts on them we have one looks like his guts are falling out they are so big he cant bend his front leg straight and looks like its 10x bigger than norm  if you look at his fur ( i know its a buck he was a 3 point )you can see them starting to pop out  the one neighbor called  DEC and they said there was nothing wrong with it it was good for consumption  I'm glad he didn't tell me that i would have paid the fine and shot it and told him let me see you eat it first  :D

starmac

Sounds like that deer needs culled, even if the SSS technique has to be applied.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

trust me if i didn't have j a  for neighbors it would have been gone long time ago 2 agree with me and 2 don't one of them is the one that called DEC in the first place  >:(

cbay

We put out a little for them this time of year.   No ag around yet there never seems to be a problem with them acclimating to the corn.
With it being all public around here we wait until all seasons are over or else someone would definitely take advantage of that.
It's not enough to really move the needle on the health of the herd but it sure is enjoyable to watch them.
Interesting, with all the hunting pressure we expect to see a large turnover in the deer, but year after year we have lots of the same does.

This gal is our favorite.   We estimate her at around 9 years old.  She is queen of the forest around here.   :)

Chuck White

There's always one!   ;)   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Looks like she's a little upset about you whittling on her ear  :)

thecfarm

I cut down a cedar tree and hauled it up to the house. I wanted Brenda to see them chew the green stuff off. But I brought it up kinda late,4pm and getting dark now. Kinda hard for me to bring it up earlier and than I would have to stay inside. Where the cedar tree is,is where I cut up my firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I get them behind the house all the time. This one is about ten feet from me. I don't feed them, so I don't know what it's after. They trip my motion lights all the time. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Cfarm, do you cut fence post out of the cedar  after the deer are done ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

No fence post for me. But I do saw lumber out of it. This one had a good size wood pecker hole in it. I just knew it was no good for lumber. That is why I cut it down. Sawed it up for firewood,did not bother to look at it until I was done. ::)  That would of made some good boards. :o  But still have a good log that I can get some lumber. Well what I call a good log for the cedar I have. I still have a couple cords down by the wood yard when I had my land logged.

thecfarm

I counted 32 tonight. The count keeps going up. I have never had that many.

ToddsPoint

I end up with the muddy hole around my salt block.  I think what happens is the area around the block is muddy and each deer removes a bit of mud on their feet.  Over time, they remove enough soil to make a hole.  I know they are not digging because the mineral block is right there always.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Peter Drouin

Wow cfarm, Now you have to cut more trees to feed them all.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Them critters will have to wait for awhile for the tree cutting. That more than a foot of new snow,is not for me. The deer was right behind the house,under the oak tree this morning. Lots and lots of acrons this year.

Peter Drouin

They were waiting for you to come out is all. :D  ;)
You could bring home a bag or two of grain for them till the snow is gone,  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I buy a sweet grain for them. I can only do one bag a week.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

That has been fed to them too. The store had some that was going to expire. We buy in special grain for certain horse customers. They get rid of horse,than we have 2-3 bags that no one else buys. The grain that I use is really a cow grain. Yes,we have special deer pellets,but it cost more. Than we also have a wildlife grain,turkeys,pheasants,deer.

Al_Smith

Late last summer,my lady friend was on her way back to Toledo .She had only seen 2 or 3 deer when she visited .Only gone about twenty minutes and I counted 18 does with fawns not 80 feet behind my house .It was a hot day,in the 90's .They were cooling off in the woods .I see tracks but they usually move around about in pre dawn .

Peter Drouin

cfarm do you ever give them whole bag corn?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

No on the corn. But others do it with good results. It would be cheaper to do that. Retail the grain I buy is $12.50,we just got some whole corn from a local supplier $9. I don't feel whole corn is good for them,but others do. I could feed course cracked for a little more per bag. But I just use the sweet feed.
I use to go to the bread store and buy trays of bread for food too. I would put out 4-5 loaves a night. Come morning all the bread would be gone.
Brenda thought we had 40 when I came home,I saw about 20. They will stop coming when the snow is gone. More snow is on the way,a foot or more. Won't last now.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!