iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drywall loader conversion

Started by bushmechanic, March 02, 2010, 07:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmechanic

I was wondering if anyone has ever converted a drywall crane to use as a wood loader.We bought a boom truck with a drywall loader on it and thought it wouldn't be to difficult to make the conversion,boy were we wrong.We tried it out and it moves terribly slow so I removed the lock valves from the lift cylinder(I thought they were safety valves and if removed would speed up the lift cycle)now it will lift quicker but when the lever is put in neutral it drops the boom down.It acts just like a motor spool valve.Has anyone else ran into this before?

treefarmer87

i have seen it done to a prentice telestik 33 it seemed to do just fine
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

i would contact a prentice dealer and see what they can tell you. the pump for the wallboard loader might be geared slower than a log loader. it may also have limiting valves on it that restrict the flow to the cylinders.

the walboard loaders are build to power and not so much speed. you dont want a lift of sheetrock smashing into the side of the house. so the pump may come rated for more pressure and less GMP.

Jasperfield

I converted a Fasse 110A by removing the hydraulic forks and directly bolting up a hydraulic grapple to the existing rotator.

Most of these loaders are slower than a purpose built log loader. However, once you get very (instinctively) familiar with the controls, you can load almost as fast. Usually these loaders are capable of lifting (and gripping) lots of weight.

You need to reconnect the safety lock-outs.

Flow is limited by the pump and you're not going to get more speed unless you want to do some major re-working.

bushmechanic

We sized it all up and I think we are just going to remove the loader and replace it with a 110 Prentice that we had on an old loader truck that the engine went in.Thanks for the input guys.

Maine372

run that 110 forever. the first loader i ran was a 110. just about got it figured out and dad bought a 120. if i needed a yard truck id look for a 110. mostly for sentimental reasons, but also cause of the amazing lift they have. i always wanted to take the big cylinder off a 110 and put it on a 120 call it a 130. the lift would be amazing.

IMOWOOD

Thank You Sponsors!