iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forestry winch advise

Started by bushhog920, March 05, 2015, 06:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushhog920

I have a 40hp tractor like the idea of a forestry winch but never seen one so kinda hard to decide on it. Why is it that no one in alabama has one? I log my 50 acres and like to have something easyer than a chain behind the tractor and getting stuck on every hill or soft spot and can't make the turns. What brand, size, and features would you suggest and where to get one in the southeast. I also plan to upgrade to a 50hp 4x4 in the future.

ilog4u2

I've owned a Farmi 501 for 15 yrs. I love it, it's the only piece of equipment that I will loan out. It's virtually indestructible .

thecfarm

I don't think it matters what kind really. Some I don't think you can haul the twitch out on the pulley. You have to unhook from the cable and hook on to the butt plate. I feel they are all just about the same. Not like a Poulin chainsaw and a Husky chainsaw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brandonward6

tajfun (typhoon) only way to go

Straightgrain

I would suggest using a spreadsheet; I worked on my purchase for 3 years prior to "setting the hook", All the winches I looked at were really-really close.

Some spreadsheet Items:

Rated pulling capacity matched with your tractor's PTO and H/P.
Warranty
Weight (the heavier, the better IMO).
Price
Length of Cable
Size of Cable
Accessories (number of key-hole sliders or bells)
Shipping
Distance to nearest dealer

Then take your time measuring and cutting the drive-line as needed. 

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

timberfaller390

I too have wondered why you don't see more tractor winches in the south. There are a bunch of logs drug out with tractors here but mostly with chains.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

waynem3020

I have had a Wallenstein FX90 for about a year and a half now and really like it. Some of the features that I really like about it are -

• cable lock
  • removable trailer hitch
  • vertically adjustable lower snatch block
  • open face on one side of the snatch block for easy cable insertion / removal
  • 3 keyhole sliders
  • tow bar
  • hooks on each side for hanging chains, etc.
  • small toolbox on either side

There may be other brands with these features as well, and maybe some features that the Wallenstein does not have, such as the flip up butt plate on some Norse winches.

I use mine on a 56hp John Deere, but it is rated for 30 - 80 HP. You will need a FEL or lots of front weight to counterbalance the weight of the winch.

JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

wfcjr

Quote from: waynem3020 on March 06, 2015, 09:25:41 AM
I have had a Wallenstein FX90 for about a year and a half now and really like it. Some of the features that I really like about it are -

• cable lock
  • removable trailer hitch
  • vertically adjustable lower snatch block
  • open face on one side of the snatch block for easy cable insertion / removal
  • 3 keyhole sliders
  • tow bar
  • hooks on each side for hanging chains, etc.
  • small toolbox on either side

There may be other brands with these features as well, and maybe some features that the Wallenstein does not have, such as the flip up butt plate on some Norse winches.

I use mine on a 56hp John Deere, but it is rated for 30 - 80 HP. You will need a FEL or lots of front weight to counterbalance the weight of the winch.

x2 on the Wallenstein FX90 and the desirability on front weight.
When running the winch, we either use 1,000# of suitcase weights on front, or run with the loader mounted
grapple.

waynem3020

Another thing I often do is fill the FEL bucket with 5 - 6 foot sections of branches, tops etc., stuff I want to use for firewood. This can easily give you another hundred pounds or two to help keep the front end down.
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

DeerMeadowFarm

I have an Igland 3501. It's rated for 35 to 70 HP. I like the fact that the bottom plate can pivot if you whack it on something while skidding. It has 2 positions for the pulley as well. The price/deal I got was great as well. I went to the Northeast logging show last year with the intention of buying a winch. I saw probably every brand made in one location so it was easier for me to compare different makes.

g_man

I agree with Ray - It doesn't really matter. There are a lot of good rugged winches out there. You guys have shown a couple nice ones above. They are all a brute force rugged tool. To me the biggest difference between winches is the way that they are being used. The best ones are those being operated safely and efficiently.

bushhog920

Thanks for the information. interesting not one bad commit I guess they are all good units. I will be looking into the ones listed, thank you all that replied.

panlanrs

I bought a Uniforest 40E and am using it on a 40hp tractor. I love it . Excellent quality winch.

mf40diesel

I have an old Farmi JL306.  While i wish it had a bit more line pull, it is an amazing machine.  Tremendously increases production over re-rigging chains numerous times.

We got ours, clearly used, out of Uncle Henry's, gave $600 dollars for it.  Have only put a new termination point on the main line, other than that it's been perfect so far.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

sawyerf250

I too did my "homework" for a couple years and came down to buying a Wallwnstien Fx 90. What really made my decision was going to the logging expo and comparing all of the models on the same day. I would really recommend trying to find a show close to you and do some comparing. I use a 65 hp MF 4wd with a bucket on front, but have put it on a couple of our older tractor that are 2wd with just suitcase weights. Although it does work good on them it is a night and day difference of what it can pull and stability reasons both tipping factor side to side and the front end pulling off the ground. They are all good and bad... For me it really came down to extra features and the fact the Wallenstien dealer is the fairly close to me.
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

GDinMaine

I would say match it to the size of your tractor and you will be fine.
I once used a Farmi JL250 that was running just prefect, even tho they have not been made in 30 years. Farmi, Fransgard, Igland, Wallenstein and Tajfun are the brands that come to mind.

Keep in mind that even the smaller ones have enough pulling power to tip your tractor on it's side.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

lirachamo51

which ever brand you pick you will love it ,i have a farmi 501 on a nhwm 55 and it is great and have had no issues. as has been said be safe and get the tractor set up correctly with the line of pull or it can flip you !!!
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!