iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Mystery

Started by Jeff, November 08, 2009, 08:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Today was a bright sunny warm day (warm for November in da U.P., about 50°.  I was on my bike heading for my property when I saw this set of wet tracks going across the road from Lou's to my place.  I have no clue of what they are. I have been up and down this road hundreds of times by bike and even foot and never saw a set of tracks left like this.  They had to be left by a fur footed aninal for the amount of water they carried from Lou's ditch. Lou's ditch is wide, with about4 or 5 inches of water, but no mud at all. My side is pictured. Its muddy and full of deer tracks. I was expecting to find a bear track in the mud, but there was nothing there. I'm sure a deer didnt make this, and I don't think a bear could or would jump my ditch. I have an idea what it could be, but the odds on that would be slim. I really don't know on this one. :-\  The tracks in the road disappeared from evaporation as I investigated, so what ever the critter was, I didn't miss it by much, and its somewhere on my land.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

gary

Jeff

THAT answer was expected and inevitable.  ;) With that out of the way, this really is perplexing. Looking at the tracks and the gate, I still lean toward bear, but can't figure out how he cleared the mud witthout leaving a track. Thats about a 12 foot leap.

isawlogs

Those are bear ,  a twelve foot leap is nothing to a bear .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Burlkraft

I vote for bear also. Big bear
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

If it is, I may have a mess tomorrow.  I filled the corn feeder this morning to the top, and it was too heavy to get all the way up, I figured, there aint no bear here anymore this year so it will be okay where it is...

zopi

Prolly my ex girlfriend......poor girl..

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Gary_C

No doubt for me, it's a bear. That wide front and narrow rear print will be much more obvious in mud, but I can't think of anything that makes a track in that shape and walks on four feet. He probably heard or saw you coming and leaped the ditch and disappeared.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Bar.  ;D This spring I seen one make two leaps, starting at a ditch, and it was in the grass on the far side of a paved road, going down a logging road on that side. They have fairly long legs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

Well, whats the feeder look like this morning?
Oh and I would say bear also based on the shape and stance of the prints.

Jeff

I'll go down after a bit and find out. I'm fighting a cold I may or may have not got from you, so I'm a bit slow getting started today. :D

Ron Scott

I agree on it being a bear and ditto that a 12 foot jump isn't much for a bear to do, especially when in a hurry.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!