iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flood

Started by Paul_H, October 18, 2003, 02:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

We have had a lot of rain here the past week.This morning,my son Tom and I were heading over to load the kiln at the bunkhouse.When we got there,the fire department was going around getting people to evacuate.We loaded up everything we could and set it on the top floor of the house.Lifted the kiln unit up on blocks,shut off the power and headed over to help the lady next door.

She is in her 70's and I had a hard time prodding her out the door and into her truck.She is staying with us for a few days and I'm glad for it.

Back at our place,all of us moved everything to high ground and are waiting it out.The roads out of town are washed out at several points,and the Miller Creek bridge blew out early this morning and will fill the valley unless the Lord intervenes.

Tom and I are heading out again,so I'll fill you in as it develops.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Be careful!  I know you will be...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

Keep your head above water, Paul!

RavioliKid

C_Miller

Been thru that this summer, I'll be thinkin' of ya.

Nothing like a nightime evac with the water runnin thru your front yard.

C
CJM

Frank_Pender

Ya Paul, I feel fortunate that we have =had none of that storm.  Sorrty tohear of your crises.  I am glad you build yuou house high off the ground. I recall the comentary about the flight of stairs I would have had to climb if I had come up this last summer.  We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.  Let us know if we can help in any other manner.
Frank Pender

dail_h

Be real careful Paul,moving water can be real dangerous.Let us know how you make out
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Paul_H

Thank you all.
I've been busy shuttling people to higher ground.The places across the road are flooded now,and the road is closed a 1/2 mile down the road,between here and town.

I have my truck parked on high ground at the highway,and now we just wait.We have lots of food and fresh water.

The thing I worry most about is, if we would have to evacuate,with the two babies.But there is still alot of low ground that will take the water.

Bro. Noble

Must be a scary time for all of you,  especially the wee ones.  Give them lots of hugs.  I'll bet they get to sleep with Mom and Dad tonight.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

You sure know how to put some excitement into your Saturday nites, don't you?  Glad to hear you're back home safely.  I ain't surprised you were out there helping folks. That kind of thing will come back to "haunt" you, you know. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

DanG,

Your comment on good deeds coming back to haunt you reminded me of a neighbor we used to have.  He was always there when someone needed help.  Was willing and able to do just about anything and had the tools and equipment to dolots of stuff.
One year he had a heart attack while putting up hay.  While in the Springfield hospital (80 miles away)  he was shown a copy of the Springfield paper.  On the front page was a color picture of his hayfield.  It was full of men and machines putting up his hay. The county road lined with trucks and tractors and machinery that weren't needed.

Good neighbors like Paul are noticed,  appreciated,  and remembered.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Thanks DanG and Noble.It's good to have support. Noble,I'll bet you were in that picture,haying with the rest of them.

Cathy,the women that is staying with us,forgot her insulin,so we had to go to the clinic.The RCMP had the road partially baricaded,but let us through and told us to be back in a half hour.When we came back,it was closed.I talked to a Tribal Police officer I know,and told her I had to get back to my babies.She radioed the other officer and asked that we could get through.She told him my babies were alone.When I went to pull away,she said"Carla is home with them, isn't she?"
I said Yup,but she's my baby too ;D She grinned and told me to get going.

This is some of our stuff on high ground,just up the road.The other pic is 180 degrees,looking on the river side.The road is our dyke,and we are fortunate to be on the right side of it.

This is also just down the road at the North Arm Farm.They are right under water,and its where the road is now closed

I feel bad for these people.They just moved here from England.It was getting dark when this was taken,but they have firewood and all sorts of debis floating around.

Paul_H

This is the trouble maker,right here.It is filling the lake below us,and backing things up,fast.

This is home.I am standing on the road,looking down into our yard.The porch has saws,lawn mowers and anything else we could get up there.The water shouldn't get up to the porch,and I'm hoping it won't look much different in the morning(I Hope)

Norm

Hope this morning finds you with clear skies Paul, glad to hear you got back home safely. Good to have neighbors like you around. :)

Paul_H

Good morning Norm.

I got up just after 4 this morning to check on things,and so far, so good.It looks like the back yard is starting to fill up.I can smell swamp water,and figure that the crawl space is starting to take on a bit of water

It's too dark to tell what is happening right now,and too early to phone others in town to see how they are doing.I saw on the news last night that both the train bridges and highway bridges are gone.So far,two people are missing,and presumed dead.

Frank_Pender

Hang in there Paul.  Sure wish I could help more than just setting here praying.  Sometimes I feel awfull helpless in situations like this. :-/  It is just getting daylight here.  Let us know as soon as you can.  I hope too, that you do not lose power to keep us informed and all.  8)
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Thanks Frank.Prayer work best,anyway you slice it.

The back yard is coming up fast since 4:30.I drove down the road to see what could be done,if anything.The guys at the road block said to come by when it's light,and maybe sandbag.
We are right beside a large Indian Reserve,and it is our hub right now,and marshalling point.We have a lot of food here,and soup stock in the freezer.Kathy(our refugee) and Carla are going to bake a whack of bread to go with the soup,and then we'll find out who needs it.

The neighbours next door have gone to stay with friends,but I was wondering if I should shut off their big propane tank.It sits on cinder blocks,and I'm wondering if it might lift and roll.

Any suggestions?We're new at this :)

Fla._Deadheader

I would shut it off and disconnect the line. If it takes off, it will cause lots of other damage. Wish there was sumpin we could do. If ya get a complete water route established, we could run the barge up and ferry some stuff around. ;D  At 3 miles per gallon, how much fuel ya reckon it'll take to make the trip??? ::) ::)  
  Hope the water goes down and all turns out OK. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Harold,
I shut the propane tank off and it should be ok now.The river is going down,but we are filling up with backwater.

This was at first light this morning.Half the yard was still dry at 5:00 am.

I'm hoping the old truck doesn't bite it,because the welder and compressor are on the back,and it is our snow plow.

Lucy,heading down the steps,was all for swimming out to me.We have been fairly busy today,but it was good to get out and see the neighbours.Everybody in the area is doing well,and we're all waiting for the cleanup to begin once the water leaves.

Fla._Deadheader

Paul, Ya otter take pics of the place from the best angles, and, when ya go to sell, you can show the place as water front property. ;D ;D
  I remember the pics you posted when you were going up another level. Shows how much water is really there.  :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

We sat out in the sun on the porch after I waded over to the girls on the steps.In a strange way,it was beautiful.When I walked into the house,you could smell fresh bread baking.

What could be better than sitting on the porch,eating fresh buttered bread,and watching your firewood pile drift by? :D

Before I had come home,I was helping a guy down the road that had stranded cattle.There were two boats,and a skidder,and a whole bunch of vollenteers(sp)

The cows didn't want to cross the deep ditch,and were already in knee deep water.The two boats herded them until they got a lassoo around a cows neck,and then we went ahead with the skidder and dragged her across.

She was bulge eyed and went under for a bit,but came up swimming.The others bailed in behind her.It was good to see cows behave once in awhile.

The hard part was getting the rope back off her. :-/

Janel

Paul
Been alot of us keepin you all in our prayers....
If there is anything we can do (even though far away)....PLEASE let me know
Janel
"Dare You To Dream"

Paul_H

Thanks,Janel.

Things are going well here now.More rain tomorrow,but I don't expect any trouble.

DanG

Hang in there Paul. I sorta think you can handle it ok. You're the only guy I know that has ever herded cows with 2 jon boats and a log skidder. 8) 8) :D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I'm thinking about you Paul.  Be safe.  Let us know if you need for us to pull the plug down here. :D

Paul_H

Tom
Pleeeaase,pull the plug.Harold would have a hay day here with all the logs floating past.

Glad you're on the mend.

DanG

Klaus,the fella that owns the cows,calls me to help castrate the young bulls in the late Spring.For some reason,he thinks that I enjoy it,so he tends to let them get big before he calls. :-/ (I think it's only fishermen that want their food to put up a fight)
 I think that the best way to handle beef is,packaged and frozen. ;)

It looked like you all had a great time in Moultrie!

Thank You Sponsors!