iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Super lightweight saw for trimming ?

Started by Jimbob, October 20, 2006, 11:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

I would like to buy an extremely lightweight saw to be used just for trimming light branches, but want it to be of good quality. Any recommendations ?

Tony_T

I'm not sure what their current offering is but I have a Stihl 020, simply love it for pruning.

If you don't mean pruning by "trimming" something bigger, maybe an 026.

Ianab

Echo make some very nice little saws. They are popular with the arborists and forestry pruning guys here.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

luke2

Dolmar 401 is an all magnesium construction 39cc 8lb. saw. I think Shindiawa makes a pro grade little saw,,, 377 maybe.

rebocardo

What do you consider super light weight? How many pounds?

I started a thread about smaller saws when I was considering which one to get for my limbing. I do a tree at a time and usually save the tops of hardwood trees for firewood. So, something small and nimble that could be held for an hour without being heavy was top priority so I could cut small branches 12-14" long ready to burn.

I tested and looked at all the small saws and ended up getting a Stihl MS-180c with 14" bar. I have been very happy with it. I started using replacement chain from Bailey's that is more aggresive and that has really woken the saw up.

I have let climbers use it a few times, probably a bit underpowered for cutting 12" red oak limbs on a steady basis, but, it does the job.

I really like it for dropping smaller trees (< 8 dbh) where the bigger Husky saws are more hassle then they are worth doing a clearing.

sawguy21

Stihl MS192 is a treat to use. Light and good power. I agree with Ian, the Echo is very good too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bernhard

http://www.dolmarusa.com/site/managed/html/produkt/4090/PS-3410_TH

this one should fit Your needs. I have tested it at a show, it is really very lightweight.

but as I have no use for it...I don´t need a saw like that.

ComputerUser

If super-lightweight is your goal, Echo 3450 is a good choice, weighing in at 7.5lbs.  They're durable as can be, and you can get one NIB on eBay for about $165.  These models, though discontinued, are a superb choice.  With a proper bar and chain (i.e. not the anti-kickback chain and Intenz bar that they usually come with), a conventional tensioner (some have them already, others require you to go buy one when you pitch the Intenz bar - $5 and 5 minutes, tops) and a muffler mod (remove spark arrester and open up basket inside the muffler, they are surprisingly powerful little saws!  My 3400 (top handle) is perfectly capable of quickly making a pile of chips with all 14" of its bar in sugar maple, and doesn't even bat an eye at little limbs.  The Echos are also renowned for being difficult to kill and being especially tolerant of neglect.

[img width=450 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/e113/michiganpowerequipment/CS3400.jpg[/img]

The Dolmar 401 would also be a good choice, if somewhat more expensive.  It gets points for having a magnesium crankcase.  The little Shindaiwa gets high priase, too, though I've never used one.

I would pass on the Stihl 170/180 saws, and am not aware of anything meeting your needs from Husqvarna.  The biggest problem with the Stihls, IMO, is that they feel heavier than the Echo or Dolmar offerings and don't offer any better performance for their weight.

Bill

When I wore out my old Poulan microXXV ( w/10" bar about the lightest I could find ) I replaced it with a new Stihl 019T some years back. For trimming I like the handle up top. Its way lighter then the big pro saws so seems lightweight to me. If I keep it in fresh mix it just keeps running and has bailed me out lots of times when the bigger saws are out of action.

Just another $ .02

Good Luck

CALSAW

I would highly recommend the Echo saws. I have a CS-301, 14" and a CS-330t, 12". They are both top handle arbourist's saws. Always start and really take abuse even though they are plastic. Put a real chain on it and you will be happy.

Matt
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

Cut4fun

I have been running a top handle poulan 2000 33cc  10" and 12" bars since 1994. Cost $99 new, weighs 7.8lbs, very dependable. Also just bought a poulan 1800 30cc 10" bar 7.8lbs, just like new off a guy for $40+ shipping. Just because they are such good trim saws. Just trying to show trim saws dont have to cost you a arm.

Rail-O-Matic

For sheer toughness but a little on the heavy side Stihl 020T, for lighter weight and reliability the Echo CS27ES.
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

DanG

I echo the above sentiments on the Echo saws.  I have a CS300, and its a great little saw...a one-hander if the chainsaw cops aren't looking. ;D  I also have a CS670 that I'm really pleased with.  I have a 32" bar for it, and it handles it well.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

leweee

Chainsaw Cops.... ::) Your Busted :D :D :D

DanG are you liven Dangerously again?  smiley_devilish

yikes_smiley hurt_smiley no_no smiley_hardhat   :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Marvinlee

I use a 26 cc Echo that came from Australia.   It weighs about 6.6 pounds without chain or bar.  Expensive though, with shipping.  A dealer in Great Britain had a similar Echo, but could not ship it to me for some reason.  The saw has been strong and trouble free.  Just keep the chain sharp.

ladylake

I have cs670, cs510 and a cs440 all real nice. good power, balanced nice, light and run forever.  Have a Stihl Ms170 that's realy gutless and made cheap but then it's not very big.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Weight  All full of fuel and oil with bars and chain on a good balance scale.
MS170   10.5# 12" bar
CS440 14# 18"bar
CS510 15# 20" bar
Cs670 18.2# 20" bar
Stihl 044 19.3 # 22" bar
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Simonian

I have a 338xp from California which has a 45 cc engine.
I find it easy to use and is very versatile. Can be in more ways than one.
From up in a tree ( only if you know how ) or making furniture or bowls.
Little on the pricey side and little hard to work on but very reliable when maintained properly.

<P>

<P>

jokers

That`s some interesting work Simonian, how do you finish it?

I agree with your choice of saw over the Echoes which I`m not too wild about. Dolmar also has the 3410 that seems well made and feels good in hand but I have not run one, I don`t have a real need for a top handle saw.

Simonian

I have a large flex shaft with a sanding wheel on it.
does a good job on most of it. Then a golf ball that is shanked  to fit the flex shat and then sand paper is glued to it.
This is how the very inside bottom is done. Here is how it looked before I started. <P>
At this time it is still unfinished

Thank You Sponsors!