iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stretching chains

Started by cutter88, August 21, 2014, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Can somebody please tell me what the main cause of stretching is... Iv had 2 chains this month on 2 different saws stretch beyond tightening before they are Half worn out ???
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Al_Smith

AdkStihl

Inferior materials.
My guess is Oregon or Carlton chain.
But that's just a guess.

STIHL chain is advertised as being pre-stretched and doesn't seem to stretch much at all.
J.Miller Photography

sawguy21

. We need to know brand of chain, what you are cutting and whether you are properly sharpening. Lack of lubrication is a common culprit
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cutter88

Stihl semi chisel chain the stuff with semi round tooth for cutting dirty wood... Cuts maple, oak, ash on a 2186 Jonsered and ms461 stihl and I would say I'm a good sharpener... And for oil we use strained used 15w40 been doing that for years never had chains stretch
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

pineywoods

Stretching chains is actually a mis conception. Chains don't actually stretch. What happens is the rivets and the holes for the rivets wear (soft metal, lack of lube, dirt and grit, etc). Look at it this way, most 20 inch chains contain around 72 drive links. Each link will have at least 3 rivets. If each rivet only wears off a thousandth of an inch, that's a total of .021 inch of what appears to be stretch but really isn't. Keep um lubed and out of the dirt....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

pineywoods answer good.  smiley_thumbsup

Look for how your chains are wearing... and then the reason they wear so quick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

The used motor oil lacks any additive to help it stick to the chain so it flies off the tip and the chain on the underside of the bar becomes dry.  I learned this the hard way as I used to use reclaimed motor oil as a bar lube.
Another culprit is pinching the chain in the cut and racking it back and forth to loosen it.  Accelerates the pin wear beenthere mentioned.
Not loosening a chain after running hard and hot will also accelerate the pin wear.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SawTroll

Quote from: pineywoods on August 22, 2014, 10:35:39 AM
Stretching chains is actually a mis conception. Chains don't actually stretch. What happens is the rivets and the holes for the rivets wear (soft metal, lack of lube, dirt and grit, etc). Look at it this way, most 20 inch chains contain around 72 drive links. Each link will have at least 3 rivets. If each rivet only wears off a thousandth of an inch, that's a total of .021 inch of what appears to be stretch but really isn't. Keep um lubed and out of the dirt....

Yep, that's what it really is about. Too little bar oil will speed up the wear prosess.
Information collector.

cutter88

Yes I new that's what was happening... :) but thanks for the info I think ill switch to chain oil from now on and see what that does... Thanks again or the input guys
Romans 10 vs 9 

Southside

Never really thought of why it happens but thanks for the info.  Question - why do cutters on one side or the other of the chain wear faster than the other side? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Al_Smith

Several reasons .The bar rails could be worn off slghtly a tilt .
The fix for that is to file it back straight,use a belt sander etc .

More commonly the chain cutter angles could be off. More often an error in hand filing .Plus it's a natural tendency for a person being right or left handed to file heavy on one side .Use of a guide will often correct that problem .

tgalbraith

one more cause of premature chain failure is the drive sprocket. It wears too, and after awhile the full force of
cutting gets concentrated on one cog..  I replace my drive sprocket after about the fifth chain. 8)
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

SawTroll

Quote from: tgalbraith on August 24, 2014, 07:54:02 AM
one more cause of premature chain failure is the drive sprocket. It wears too, and after awhile the full force of
cutting gets concentrated on one cog..  I replace my drive sprocket after about the fifth chain. 8)

I don't think it would hurt to replace it a bit more often than that - but it does of course vary with a lot of factors.
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Whenever I see a chain with that much slop it's do to an absurdly dull chain. As soon as the OP said dirty wood, we had our answer.
Andre.

Al_Smith

I 've yet to figure out the big hulaballo of filing a chain like it's rocket science .IMO a sharp chain is more important than a hot rod saw .It's not a hard concept to grasp .

7sleeper

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 24, 2014, 09:00:57 PM
I 've yet to figure out the big hulaballo of filing a chain like it's rocket science .IMO a sharp chain is more important than a hot rod saw .It's not a hard concept to grasp .
To be honest, in my experience, the concept is very hard to grasp for a very large portion of chainsaw users I have met...

thecfarm

It is hard to grasp. It takes time to understand what to do.I destroyed a few chains trying to grasp it. And I had My Father to watch and show me. He gave up on me. He could sharpen a saw. He did not like any of us kids to run the saw. He was not concerned about the saw,just the chain. He just knew we would hit the ground with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutter88

I can sharpen a chain real good.... Doesn't explain why the odd one stretches
Romans 10 vs 9 

Tug Hill Walt

Bad lube and very dirty wood will cause wear on the pins to the point that the drive sprocket wears out. From experience of buying a load of fuel wood logs full of fine silt and mud. Only got about 15fc out of a chain and was constantly sharpening. If you can pressure wash the wood.

Al_Smith

Well I'm out of ideas unless the chain was kept tight as a bango string .However were that the case it wouldn't cut correctly and the bar would suffer . ???

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on August 24, 2014, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: tgalbraith on August 24, 2014, 07:54:02 AM

I don't think it would hurt to replace it a bit more often than that - but it does of course vary with a lot of factors.

So how do you tell when a sprocket is actually too worn to continue using? I'd rather replace it depending on condition, rather than after so many chains. I've seen some that obviously should have been replaced long ago, but when it's not so obvious I'm not sure what to look for.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

The slots in the rim become elongated .It will start to cut a groove around the center of the rim .

If you let one go too long not only will it stretch the chain but you take a chance of the rim failing .I did once and only once and had to replace 4 drivers on a 32" chain loop .They're inexpensive ,about 5 bucks a pop .

HolmenTree

Rim sprockets with too many chains run on them will stretch a new chain quickly.
Todays rim sprockets have wear indicator marks embedded in the rims radial surface with 2 wear marks per tooth.

When the marks are worn away by the chain, it's then time to change the sprocket.
Keep an eye on badly worn bar nose sprockets too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Are the wear marks the small notches perpendicular to the edge, about centered on each of the drive slots?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!