iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use for Walnut slabs

Started by WH_Conley, September 17, 2014, 09:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

I guess the truck are supposed to start hauling Walnut in to my place in the morning. A fellow says he has about 30k feet. I am supposed to saw it all. That is going to be a lot of slabs. I never thought they were that good for firewood. Does anybody know of a use for them?
Bill

dgdrls

All slabs??  Lots of tables I guess?

DGDrls

WDH

I assume that you mean the bark slabs first cut off the log with all bark on one side?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WH_Conley

Yep, WDH, that is what they are. Just normal waste.
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have no use for them UNLESS.....I can get a stool or small bench slab out of them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

When I mill walnut, the slabs tend to be REALLY THIN. ;) I go at those suckers like I'm butchering venison tenderloin, nothing goes to waste.  8)

Brad_bb

Just thinking out loud.  Could you cover an interior wall with them as an interesting texture?  Maybe kiln dry them to make sure they are bug free, then spray a top coat on the bark to seal/smooth it a bit.  Just an idea.  Wall of your workshop or house?  I know a guy who has build doors and in the panels he uses bark.  He soaks it to make it pliable to flatten out.  If you edge the slabs so they are all the same width and roughly the same thickness, it's then a specialty material.  If you figure out how to separate the bark from the slab, soak and flatten it, and stack it, kiln dry it, you then have another specialty material.

I think of myself as the "Woodmizer", not because I have one of their mills, but because I waste almost no wood.  I've been giving away my clean hardwood sawdust lately on Craigslist.  One guy made Saw dust stoves from large tin cans for camping.  For that they need clean hardwood saw dust and I keep mine from being contaminated with plywood/OSB dust or garbage or epoxy.

I have one box that I collect hardwood that actually is scrap, kindling size mostly, and it goes for kindling in a friends fireplace.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sealark37

I was looking for a small piece of walnut some years ago to make a forearm for an old Ithaca pump gun.  I found out that "There is no such thing as scrap walnut".  Some woodworker or gunsmith wants the heartwood from your slabs.  Regards, Clark

drobertson

30k is a good bit,  only suggestion I can offer is take some of the swelled ends and make a fire wood pile with these shorts, then have a slab rack ready with banding material ready to band.  If I were to guesstimate, you are looking at the neighborhood of 20 bundles, size depending of course.  You might find a local mill that burns them for fuel in their kiln operation.   sorting and saving this many slabs would take away some of the mill time for sure. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

I've sawed a lot of walnut and used the slabs as ditch fillers.  I've tried to get rid of them as firewood but they generate a lot of ash, and create lots of creosote in the chimney.  Lots more than other species.  Once folks find that out they only use em once.

I have seen them used as a fence around one of the beer gardens at the Bikes, Blues, & BBQ here.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Won't those be primarily comprised of sapwood?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WH_Conley

Yes, they would be mostly sap wood.
Bill

WH_Conley

They are here. I would say the full 30K. Small stuff. The straight ones will saw pretty fast, no such thing as grade sawing. I don't know what the market is, going over seas. There is going to be a bunch of slabs. Just a thought. Does anyone sweat them and use the sap for stain or anything like that ?
Bill

dyates

Man, that's a bunch of walnut for this part of the world.  Must be one of the exporters.  Only use I can think of is same as any hardwood.  If you have the ability to debark the logs and chip the slabs, sell them for boiler fuel.  Last I heard, a walking floor load was about $1000, depending on who, when, and where. 
Daniel

WH_Conley

Yep, that is a bunch. Going to China when done. They are running all over trying to buy more. Anybody have a mill in North Eastern Kentucky and need a job. I can hook ya right up.
Bill

dyates

I wonder what they pay for those little logs.  I might be better off to sell logs and save my back.
Daniel

WH_Conley

I don't know for sure. I think between 35 and 65 cents a foot. Some of them I am not fooling with. Firewood is firewood in any species.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!