White Oak logs?

Started by E-Tex, April 29, 2019, 07:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

Is this White Oak?

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

I am seeing it as Post Oak which is in the White Oak family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KEC

Concur with the White Oak. Magicman is more familiar with Post Oak than I. Very good lumber and fuelwood.

WDH

I agree with post oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: WDH on April 29, 2019, 09:40:21 PM
I agree with post oak.
But do you also agree with Posthole?  :D  :D  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

xlogger

Danny what do you see that says post oak to you?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

The large rays indicate oak.  The silver gray, loosely scaly bark arranged in weak longitudinal ridges indicate post oak . 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

E-Tex

Thanks Danny and MM for ID-ing it!!!!

I guess I was hoping for a "real" white oak.  but I know I LOVE the looks of Post Oak lumber!

I guess it will dry just like a "real" white oak - VERY SLOW?

Use no fans at all?

I understand it is very difficult to dry WO, especially thicker like 8/4 or 10/4.  what would you recommend the thickest I mill these post oak (in order to have success drying)?

I plan to air-dry a while then put in a solar kiln (once I build it).  may have to finish off in a DH kiln somewhere if I mill it thicker and can't get it down where I'll want the MC.

thanks for any further advice/tips.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

Being a white oak, it is slow to dry, otherwise, you can dry too fast and honeycomb it, so no fans.  I have not sawn any thicker than 9/4.  Makes great trailer decking. 

Thank You Sponsors!