Started by Skeans1, February 12, 2019, 07:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

VanNatta Big truck page.

One bad Crummy!

Firewoodjoe

That thing is awesome😎

sawguy21

Now that is a crummy!! We had new leased trucks every three years provided they weren't beat to death or wrecked first. I got so frustrated dealing with those clowns I wanted a fleet of trucks like that with 4 speeds and manual steering to teach them a lesson about looking after equipment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skeans1

Quote from: dgdrls on February 13, 2019, 08:42:42 PM
VanNatta Big truck page.

One bad Crummy!

They aren't too far down the road from really good people

starmac

Reminds me of my very first pickup I bought with my own money. It was a single cab, but a 63 binder, tough as nails, and done a fair job of pulling my 20 foot gooseneck hauling hay. It was just a half ton, but had a stack of springs that a modern dump truck would be envious of, road loike a freight train, and it seemed like it got somewhere around 7 miles to the gallon even if I didn't crank it. It wasn't much for taking girls to the drive inn though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Decked

Traveling in a fried out combie, on a hippie trail, head full of Zombie..where beer does flow, and men shunder.....

( Land Down Under.. Men at Work )  ;D

sawguy21

You mean the girls didn't appreciate a hard working manwhen they saw one?  :D :D They weren't impressed with me or my first truck either a 64 Chev.

Bruno of NH

I had one tons for years and just told Sheila when we where dating it was a cowboys Cadillac 😉
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

All my trucks were pretty crummy.  But all my women had nice cars.  ;)
Praise The Lord

dgdrls

Crummy story,
Loggers World May 2017 Page 20.

Crummy on a log road

firefighter ontheside

My dad was forest fire fighter in Oregon in the 60s.  He always referred to the crew trucks they used as crummies.  That's the only context I've heard that term in.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

One of the old nicknames for a railroad caboose was a "crummy", maybe that is where the term started. They both were used to haul crews around. Looking at dgdrls picture of a 60's IH pickup brings back memories. My first pickup years ago was a 68' binder 3/4 ton with a straight 6 and a stick. Got it cheap (it had been in a "mild" rollover) and I had dreams of restoring it. I quickly learned you need a sledge hammer to pound dents out of the heavy steel they built the cabs out of. I also tried taking the front wheels off one day, and after fighting trying to get the lugs off (with a 3' pipe on the lug wrench) I realized they were reverse threaded! It didn't matter anyway, the tires were on split ring rims, and the tire shop didn't want to touch it. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

starmac

My first binder or pickup at all was that 63, plain jane with the 345 V8 and 4 spd, ugly, rough riding, but tough as nails and got her done.
Years later I bought the top of the line loaded binder, 392 4 barrel, auto, all the chrome international had and loaded for what loaded was back then. It was no more comfortable than that old 63 and even though 10 years newer had the same exact seat with the tool box under it. 
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sawguy21

:D :D They were like the tractors, built for work not comfort. My dad who knew little about vehicles except where to put the gas in bought a worn out 58 binder. I remember the shift linkage jamming in second gear.

Bruno of NH

One of my uncles that was a builder.
Ran International trucks till they stopped making them.
2x2 One ton a beast.
The last one was a 1/2 ton it was built like a one ton today.
Sadly trucks aren't made for work today.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Bruno,how right you are. Seem like a member said,the only time some trucks see off road is when they get some mulch for the wife's flowers and drive across the lawn. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!