iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a 5/8 female to 7/8 male spline adaptor

Started by Joel Eisner, December 04, 2007, 08:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

I purchased a 2 hp motor (5/8 in splined shaft) and blower assembly (7/8 splined blower head) and need an adapter to put these together.  It is going to be for a shop built dust collector/ blower for the sawmill and planer in our new pole barn/ shop.  I am having a problem finding such an item. 

Help.   :P
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Don P

It might be better to put a pulley on the motor and one on the blower so you can play with fan speed  ???.
Agri Supply in Garner?

scsmith42

Joel, are your shafts splined or keyed?  When I think of a splined shaft, I think of the output shaft on a tractor's PTO.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

If it is splined, you should be able to find something in a lovejoy type coupling.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Joel Eisner

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 04, 2007, 09:51:31 PM
Joel, are your shafts splined or keyed?  When I think of a splined shaft, I think of the output shaft on a tractor's PTO.

Scott

Thanks for picking up on that.  They are keyed.  I have thought about a pulley with the motor weight providing the belt tension, like on a table saw.  So if I go that way I would need a 7/8 keyed shaft with with two pillow block bearings to support the blower head and then connect to a pulley.  Place another pulley on the motor with the motor hinged.

Okay, now what is the optimal dust collector RPM?  I am probably going to make this into a cyclone.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

pineywoods

Joel check with surplus center  (www.surpluscenter.com). They stock what's called a lovejoy coupling. Two piece coupling with a hard rubber coupler between them. You can mix and match the end pieces for different bore sizes. They are somewhat flexible which solves the problem of aligning motor to blower.  I use them to couple hydraulic pumps to motors.
also available in various horsepower sizes. For rpm calculations, there is a blower calculator in the forum toolbox that works nicely.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!