iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumps as fish structure in a pond

Started by GW, August 08, 2007, 12:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

Not sure if this question belongs here.....

The pond builder Cindy and I are using suggested building a reef-like structure out of the stumps cleared from the pond site. My main question is if there might be an issue with them floating. I've heard some people report that stumps won't float, but I wonder if the species of tree make a difference.

Also, what would you all do with the remaining stumps? Bury, burn, pile them up in the corner...

Texas Ranger

Any structure in a lake or pond helps fish population, how much would be my question.  As far as whats left, burning takes a while with big stumps, buying takes up space and then a slump if they rot, piling in the corner just leaves a stump pile to look at.  Burning is the think, if you have equipment to work the pile, lots of dirt.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

rebocardo

The wood in a stump (talking 20" tree) isn't even close to 1/4 the weight of the ball. Unless all the mud and stone got knocked off, I don't see how it could float. The stumps do provide shelter for the fish, from the sun, birds, mammals, cold, etc..

If a stump floats to the surface, just drag it to the side. If it sits long enough for the dirt and stone to fall off, I would think the roots would be too water logged to float anyway.

GW

Norm

I did exactly what you're asking GW. It's been six years now and none have floated yet. You can try to burn them but big ones take forever to burn because of the dirt on them. You can bury them but you incur extra expenses digging a big enough hole to do so.

GW

Thanks Norm.

I'll be using a lot of the root balls for the reef structure I've decided. I may still have a lot to get rid of and I was thinking we could put them in the hole that the builder is digging to harvest the clay for the dam. Some of the fill for the clay pit will be soils from the pond site. The clay is being dug from Cindy's peanut/cotton field.

Norm

All the ones I used were huge so if you have more than you need or want I'd keep the big ones for reef structure and burn or bury the smaller ones.

The guy who did my pond thought I was nuts for doing it. He kept telling me all they would be good for was fish hook snags. :D

gary

If your worried about them floating to the top . Tie a cement block to them. Christmas tree size pines will also make good fish structure.

olyman

all good replys--remember this though--if you could wrangel a fireman into bringing the tanker truck out--and washing walnut,oak,and hard maple stumps clean---thats what stock makers like to make stocks out of--because of the burling of the wood----

GW

Someone who used them in his pond just told me to run two rows parallel from shallow to deep and make a lane kind of structure. He said fish like to have consistent cover to move between deep and shallow water. He also recommended putting snagless structure like a pvc porcupine attractor at the end which is better at holding large fish.

Norm, I don't think it's the end of the world if I get snagged occasionally either.

Thank You Sponsors!