iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wallenstien wood processor

Started by treechopper40, February 16, 2014, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treechopper40

im thinking about buying a wp830 Wallenstein woodprocessor any of the guys on here have one or that have tried one please let me know your thoughts about them
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

thechknhwk

I want one too, but I ain't got the coin laying around for that.  Only seen them workin on the you tube.

Kemper

Seem pretty nice, what's the price range?

Corley5

Isn't that the one the one that drags the log through the dirt to the machine to cut it with a chainsaw  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

treechopper40

unless you have a forwarder don't skidders drag the trees too ?
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

cutter88

Quote from: Corley5 on February 16, 2014, 10:09:25 PM
Isn't that the one the one that drags the log through the dirt to the machine to cut it with a chainsaw  :)

lol I always thought those ones that drag the log up with a cable threw the dirt wasn't a real great design either
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Hilltop366

I don't know the prices of other small wood processors but if you are saving lots of $ by going to this style with the trade off being having to buy a couple extra loops of chain verses having to buy a tractor or loader in order to run it why not.

I guess you could add some cribbing to drag the log on to keep it out of the dirt.

JamesE. PikeLogging

I have used one of these processors quite a bit, they work good.

thechknhwk

Maybe you could drag it through the snow instead.  What other processors are self contained, trailerable and cost 10-14k?

logman81

I like the hudson badger, pretty similar and all self contained with cut off saw.
Precision Firewood & Logging

treechopper40

yeah its a lot like a badger my friend had a badger and the problem with the cut off saw is it don't cut the blocks square on the ends cause of the angle the tree is coming in the machine that's why I think it would be better with a chainsaw you could make the cuts straight I do 5-7 face cord a day and I think one of these would take a lot of the bull work out of it and you don't need another machine to feed it with im thinking drop the hitch rate behind the processor and then your not pulling the wood any distance to get on the machine I think for my one man operation it would be very handy

redprospector

A little higher price range maybe, but not too much. I've got a Chomper 14" processor with the automatic feature. It drags the logs through whatever's there and shears the pieces off. Nothing to sharpen at all. Some folks don't like them, but I haven't found anything that suits my needs better, and it's paid for.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

logman81

Treechopper48, I'm thinking about the same thing you are. My thinking was on my TSI jobs was to buy the badger and bring it to the jobs and set it up in the landing and skid the hitch right to it. Process it right to firewood on the landing , seems like a no brainer to me for a one man op. I never heard of any one complain about the badger not cutting straight?

John Mc

I've only seen a Badger in real life once, and that was a while ago.  But I don't recall it not cutting square.  I thought the saw and frame are mounted at the same angle as the log infeed, so the cut was square.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

logman81

I'm pretty sure they are too seem to cut square to me !

thecfarm

I saw one of those Chompers in Maine. I just barely saw the top of it. One of those,"hang on,we're turning around" moments. There was soneone there running it too. I talked just for a minute and stood there for about 20 watching him run it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treechopper40

with short logs the badger does cut square blocks but when you put tree length through it the whole tree is so long that it doesn't match the angle of the saw until the tree is about half way gone

logman81

Now I get it, that would make sense so a little limited on the length of log then.

treechopper40

yup thats why with the Wallenstein you could use a chainsaw to get the blocks square and still do the whole tree Hudson makes a model called a wolverine also not much different than the badger and you can get that with or without a cutoff saw also

two-legged-sawmill

Hello Treechopper 40, with so many models of processors it is possible to confuse one model with an other. The Badge cuts off square however the Wolverine has varible slants on its cuts depending on log length or tree length.
IS THIS GUY MAY BE REFERING TO A WOLVERINE? , IT HAS AN ANGELD TRAY  BUT THE SAW IS NOT ANGELD ,  It all boils down to personal prefferance.
There is hardly ever been a machine built that didn't have a short coming some where. Rene' B in NewComb,NY built a firewood processor on a big Allis Chalmer dozer,that had like 3 or 4 splitters. It would split 3ft blocks, then the blocks move to an other splitter, and then to an other for kitchen size wood.
This was back in the late 50's when they  had camps for the Logger's!
     I never carried a camera with me, but sure wished I had a picture of that Monstrosity! It had a picker for the big blocks, short conveyers between splitters.it took about 3 or 4 men to run it. Rene must of had a ton of welding
stick rod on it. Strickly an off road machine. Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

treechopper40

that's funny cause I know rene beroua (spelling) I worked for allen and ronny when I was younger when they had the 518 cats they are a great bunch of guys is rene still alive ? he was a old man when I knew him 20 yrs ago me and allen drank a lot of beer together

Thank You Sponsors!