iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting the WPF together

Started by Qweaver, November 30, 2011, 12:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I downloaded the WPF manual and the assembly looks a little complicated.  Maybe it will be easier when I have the mill in front of me.  I can't wait!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quinton, you DOG!  You went and ordered one, eh?  Congrats and welcome to the club.

Let me know if you want any OTJ training.  You're welcome to come on down and see how I use mine.  GA_Boy and the Captain were my original trainers; hopefully I can do them justice by paying it forward.

Got a place for you to sleep too.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

customsawyer

How far does that invitation extend. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

islandlogger

Qweaver
It's really not all that hard to put together and plus your so excited at the time it's just plain FUN!!
Look forward to hearing all about it!!
islandlogger

Qweaver

Hey Scott,
I'd love to do that.  Can Sarah come too?  I have several big white oaks to saw and I'd sure like to know what I'm doing before I start.  The saw will take 6 weeks to get here and anytime that's good for you after that will be probably be good for us.  Being retired has some advantages. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quote from: customsawyer on December 01, 2011, 09:17:05 AM

Jake, I think that I'd probably learn more from you than vice versa, but you're welcome too! If you come up this way, drag Danny along with you, I'd like to meet both of y'all.

scsmith42

Quote from: Qweaver on December 01, 2011, 10:02:13 AM
Hey Scott,
I'd love to do that.  Can Sarah come too?  I have several big white oaks to saw and I'd sure like to know what I'm doing before I start.  The saw will take 6 weeks to get here and anytime that's good for you after that will be probably be good for us.  Being retired has some advantages. 
Quinton

You betcha that Sarah is welcome too! 

Ever since the shop fire destoyed our garage appartment, (and the only spare bedroom in the house is "the cat room"  - ah, the joys of being married to a veterinarian...)), we put our guests up in our camper, if that's acceptable for y'all.  It's a pretty nice unit, with all the comforts of home.

Let's watch the weather and see what will work out best.  You may want to come down a week or two before your mill arrives, so that it's pretty fresh in your mind. 

Did you order a retipping jig?  If not, I have one that you can take some dimensions from in case you know a good local welder that can fabricate it for you.....   :D  IMO, a retipping jig is a must to go with the saw.   It's a good idea if you order the spare parts kit from Peterson too.

Which model saw did you get?

Qweaver

The motorhome is where we put our "overflow" guests also.  I did order an extra blade (which gives me three) and 6 tips.  I figured that I could build a re-tipping jig.  I ordered the wpf 10" with LoLo, 6' 6" extensions, and electric drive winch.  With lift capacity of my JD 110 I thought that the LoLo would work better.  If I can't lift it, I'll set-up over it.
I didn't know about your fire.  Sorry to hear it.  I guess the saw will be here about the middle of January.  We'll just plan to come when it is most convenient for you.  My Email is Qweaver@peoplepc.com

Quinton

scsmith42

Quinton, sounds like we're thinking alike, as you ordered the exact same setup that I have, with the exception that I have more track.

Let's watch the weather and keep in touch.  Thx.

SS

Qweaver

I just got the shipping details from Peterson today.  If I'm lucky I'll see it by the end of January.  I'll try to get a concrete slab for it by then...kind of hard to get concrete pouring weather this time of year tho'. 

Raider Bill

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 01, 2011, 10:31:42 AM

Jake, I think that I'd probably learn more from you than vice versa, but you're welcome too! If you come up this way, drag Danny along with you, I'd like to meet both of y'all.

I met both of you at the sawlex in greenville SC didn't you meet there?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

customsawyer

Of course, but that don't mean we remember. I don't even remember the name of the guy in the mirror when I am shaving half the time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Quote from: Qweaver on December 06, 2011, 05:23:18 PM
I just got the shipping details from Peterson today.  If I'm lucky I'll see it by the end of January.  I'll try to get a concrete slab for it by then...kind of hard to get concrete pouring weather this time of year tho'.

Quinton, if you're going to pour a slab, I would highly encourage you to cast some angle iron in place as a track, and only use the aluminum tracks when you need to go mobile. 

It would make log handling much easier, and you would not have to worry about damaging the track by dropping something on it.

Design the height to allow for log bunks in the middle (leave a channel in the concrete).

Sounds like we may want to get you and Sarah up here sooner rather than later.  Let me chat with Laureen and get back with you.

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 06, 2011, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on December 01, 2011, 10:31:42 AM

I met both of you at the sawlex in greenville SC didn't you meet there?

Yup, I was there, but like Jake don't remember everybody that I met.  Bill, I remember you, but then again, you're kinda memorable.....   :D

I also met Tom, Jeff, and the Logrite crowd, and think (but am not sure) that i might have met Chris (Metalspinner) when I met you.

Qweaver

Scott,
Making angle iron tracks sounds like a great idea.  I hadn't  thought of that.  Can you send me a cross sectional sketch of that.  We are currently closing in the downstaires to make an apartment for Sonya, so the next three weeks are tied up.  After that we are free.  We are up for a trip to the south. 8)
Quinton

Raider Bill

HAha!!! I remember you because of all your toys [and of course because you are so handsome]and Jake because of his hat!
Yes Chris [MetalSpinner] and I rode over together.

scsmith42

Quinton, why don't we shoot for sometime during the first half of January?  We're wide open for most of the month (although Laureen will be gone for several days mid month at a continuing education session in FL).

Check your schedule and let me know what works best.  During the week is probably a bit better for us as opposed to a weekend, but we can make weekends work too if needed.

I can make a sketch and also take some measurements from mine, but you might want to come run mine before you get to the point of forming and pouring concrete (nothing like hands-on experience to better understand how to build something).

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 07, 2011, 09:09:40 AM
HAha!!! I remember you  [and of course because you are so handsome]!

:D  Yeah,right.... 

Raider Bill

ok maybe it was your personality!  :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 07, 2011, 09:22:47 AM
ok maybe it was your personality!  :D

Undoubtedly, that must have been it....   :D

terrifictimbersllc

This is a great idea.  But I would consider placing anchor bolts in a line in the concrete, mounting the angles to that,  to allow some vertical and horizontal adjustment of the angle iron. Or maybe just fix strips of PT lumber to the concrete, then fix the angles to that.    It would be quite a feat to be able to cast angle iron in concrete to achieve the spacing and linear tolerances needed. WPF rollers ride on 1/8" wide vertical extrusions on top of the tracks.  On one side there is a narrow groove roller which fits this extrusion and on the other side a wide groove roller, groove about 5/8" wide which allows for some slop in the spacing between the rails. If the sideways spacing of the angle iron uprights isn't close enough one would be jumping off or tearing up the rollers.   Also the tops of the extrusion and rails needs to be linear, deviation from which would affect flatness of boards.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

It would definitely need to be precise.

The reason that I like the concept of having the steel embedded in the concrete is because it would be less likely to be damaged by rolling a log over it.

On the other hand, if it ever got bent (such as being hit by forklift forks), it would be more difficult to repair (have to chip out concrete).

Ianab

Would also work as a track extension for cutting longer beams etc. Make sure it's same height as the alloy tracks and join them together if needed.

I would just pour the concrete slab for now, then bolt the fixed rails in place with concrete anchor bolts and some sort of metal tabs so it can be adjusted or shimmed as needed. If you did manage to knock it out of alignment, loosen the bolts re-adjust.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Husband

Hi guys.

Been following the thread 8)

Quinton, sounds like we're thinking alike, as you ordered the exact same setup that I have, with the exception that I have more track.

Scott he has the 35hp on his mill, so be prepared to tail out quicker than normal :D

Keep us posted as i am sure you guys will as to how things are going. I am off to Fiji in the morning to go cut some coconut tress and Mahogany, will take the camera and get some pics for you all.

Chris.

scsmith42

Chris, we'll look forward to the pix. 

Wish that I had 35 hp instead of 27....  I can definitely bog mine down as I'm milling the big oaks.

Thank You Sponsors!