iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Stihl 031AV....

Started by mrcaptainbob, April 19, 2005, 12:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

Okay, that's it. Can't waste time tryin' to keep this good ol'boy runnin' anymore. Seems like it lost spark and I don't want to mess with it anymore. Just about wore the threads off the screws takeing it apart these last few months. What's an up-to-date equivalent saw to the 25 yr old Stihl 031AV? It has a 20" bar. I'm heating the house with the outdoor woodstove, so I need something that will hold up as good as the old guy did.

Ianab

031AV was replaced with the MS310.
I've got one, not a 'pro' saw, but along the same lines as the 031. Farmers, firewood cutters, part time use saw.
Hopefully it will give you another 25 years  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

StihlDoc

MS 260 is also a good replacement. Has more power than the 031 and less weight.

mrcaptainbob

Okay. Thanks for that info. After checking the Stihl site for those two saws, I noticed the max bar length is 20". Will that tax the saw? I thought the 031 had a max at 24". Since it was a long time ago, I might remember wrong. I prefer to use a bar length just a bit shy of max so as to not burden the engine. Or should that not make a diff? Thanks for the help and opinions...

StihlDoc

The MS 260 will handle the same bar lengths as the 031. The 20" listing on the website is a "recommended maximum" length. A 24" bar will tax the MS 260 about the same as with the 031. If you normally cut trees that require a 24" bar, then suggest you move up to an MS 310, MS 361 or MS 390.

mrcaptainbob

Found out t'day there's nationwide sale on Stihl MS310's. Or at least that's what I was told by one dealer. But after calling around, they were all the same price.

fishhuntcutwood

I had a 310, and it was a good as a firewood saw, which is what it's designed for in the first place.  I think it would fill the gap left by your 031 quite nicely.  If you want to step it up a little bit, look at the 390.  It's the same saw, same weight, but with a larger bore, and .4 more hp.  Good firewood saws.  I've got a 361 now, and absolutely love it.  It weighs less, has more Q, and hp.  Also costs more, but with the features it has, it's worth it.

Let us know what you end up with!!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

mrcaptainbob

Will do that. I noticed you're located in Washington for now. Talk about a forest! That is a beautiful state.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on April 21, 2005, 11:59:30 PM
Will do that. I noticed you're located in Washington for now. Talk about a forest! That is a beautiful state.

It is a beautiful state, but I'll be glad to get back to Alaska.  I miss the Midwest too, and all the hardwoods.  I haven't seen an oak or a hickory for  years!!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

mrcaptainbob

Finally got around to checking some stuff....here's an update: I did get the 310 shortly after this discussion. Am most pleased with it. Although I did replace the tank to carb fuel line. Was surprised how many cracks were in it! When purchasing, the counter guy brings out a bag of them. Says he replaces so many of them that he now buys them buy the pack! ANyway...this saw is working great form. Have gone through more than a few chains already. Am considering taking it in for a bar conditioning. Ho can Joe-Homeowner determine the right rpm's? Should I take it in for a carb setting and have the rpm's checked at the same time?

Dave Shepard

If you are going to drop the bar off to get ground, you might as well have them check the rpms. Shouldn't take more than a minute. Have you put a new fuel or air filter in it lately?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mrcaptainbob

Hi, Dave. I have not replaced anything on it yet except chains and that fuel line. It does run great, though!

Thank You Sponsors!