iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 136 141 vs. Sthil MS170

Started by rebocardo, August 11, 2004, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

I am looking to replace my Poulan 18" Wildthing that died.

What I need is a fairly light and small blade saw to cut up tree crowns once the tree is down. I need something light powered and small to cut the smaller stuff up in pieces that can be put to the curb and for smaller firewood pieces.

It is just too dangerous and tiring to walk into the middle of a tree with a huge saw and big blade and chop a tree crown up into little bits for 3-4 hours. I do urban trees without a chipper so cleanup is a big deal and I can not just lop things off and leave them there.

I usually save anything over 1" for firewood. Some of the smaller stuff I cut with a sawzall for safety reasons, I would like to get away from it because my sawzall died and it is slow work.

If want to find a saw that will not whip and pull branches back to me and is fairly safe to use at shoulder level, that would be ideal.

The Echos with the safety tip are kind of appealing because it would help prevent what I am trying to avoid, hitting the kickback zone on an unseen branch while in a tangle, though I am usually on the other side of the tree anyway.

I tend to think the Husky would be more reliable and better for local service then the Echo. I looked at the $200 price range Stihls and they look underpowered compared to the Husky

Think one of these saws would do it without being over powered and still sub as an emergency backup saw?

Is there any real difference, except $20, between the 136 and 141. Why does the 136 exist, to have a saw under the 3.8 limit and classified as a home user saw?

Anyone actually own a Husky 136/141?

DanManofStihl

I owned a husky 141 for about a year it was a pretty good saw I only had to take it back to the dealer once to get the carb cleaned and adjusted I traded that saw in for a stihl ms 180 I like the 180 alot better it is easier to handle in my book but I am very partial to stihl.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Old_Town

I too, have been thinking about buying a 141 when my Stihl 011 finally quits. Any info about the above saws would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
T

Norm

Patty's got a Husky 136 that she lets me use. It's been a good saw, light weight with just the right amount of power for a small bar. I use it to trim branch stubs off saw logs and small firewood. My son bought it for her for Christmas as she had never used one before. For my taste it's a little underpowered.

jeepcj

Hey Guys, I have a 141 and a 351 Husqy. Never had the 351 in the shop. 141 in the shop once in 4 years. Crankcase bolts loose, running too lean. Even ran over it with the rear tire on tractor, broke the handle and put the coil out of adjustment. Use the 141 for felling smaller trees ant trimming after felling. Great little saw. Never owned anything else except older Homelite's. I hear the Stihl is a good saw also.136 is a tad smaller than the 141. If youre only gonne trim might want to go with a 12-14 inch bar thogh. My 2 cents. Charles
Cedar cutter

rebocardo

Yes, I am looking at going with the 12, maybe 14 inch bar. I picked up a MS180 at the chainsaw place and it felt pretty good. I guess I will test the 141 vs. MS170/180 and see which one wins. The MS180 is $240 at the local place so it probably is not a contender, I want $200 or under.

NewEnglandTreeSvc

rebocardo,

First off, chainsaws don't have blades. Skilsaws have blades. Chains saws have bars and chains.

I have a 136 I use for smallish stuff, 16" bar with pro chain. I also have a CS3400 as my climbing saw. Both have been excellent in the performance and reliablity categories.

You aren't experienced enough to be running a chainsaw at shoulder level. You should invest in a good pair of chainsaw chaps, and a chainsaw instruction course.

If the stuff is really that small, spend $60 on a Silky Zubat. Never needs gas and oil, and it will keep up to most chainsaws in under 3" wood.No kidding, either.

Erik Lovell, Arborist

rebocardo

A lot of positive votes for the 136, so I think I will skip the 141.

The MS-180 someone mentioned, does feel nimble just picking it up. I am going to buy whichever saw at my local shop and give it a test first on their scrap logs.

> You aren't experienced enough to be running a chainsaw
> at shoulder level

Maybe, maybe not.

I just have not found a way to easily roll a 100 ft white oak with 80 foot branches (can I call them trunks?) that tips the scales at over 12000 pounds using my F-100 without removing some branches first.

Unfortunately, as tiring as it is, sometimes cutting at shoulder level first is the only option, know what I mean:

:)

Buzz-sawyer

You get em rebo.....AT SHOULDER HEIGHT ;) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DanManofStihl

You tell him he doesn't know how skilled you are or know your not he is making to many assomptions.

NewEnglandTreeSvc

I figure anyone who calls a chainsaw bar a "blade" ...

well, nevermind. ;)

Erik Lovell, Arborist

IndyIan

Hi Rebocardo

I actually just bought a 141 this weekend.  It's not starting off good. :(  Initially it was very hard to start and keep running and it had no power unless it was pinned.  I believe that the low jet is set way too lean but I've taken it back to let them have a look.  Also it leaks chain oil quite well.

Go to Arboristsite.com and do a search on the 141.  They are assembled at a poulan factory and the EPA sticker on it says its a moderate use engine with either the emmisions system good for 50 hours or the whole engine is good for 50 hours, I can't remember the exact wording.  Anyways poulans have the same sticker on them.  Maybe the saw is just a poulan with air injection and better ergonomics and anti vibe but I haven't used it long enough to see how durable it is.  

If I bought again I might go for the 340 since its more of a professional saw, $70 more but probably much better built.

Ian

NewEnglandTreeSvc

If you don't mind spending the money, a 346XP will outcut either one, is darn light for the power, and will last.

Erik Lovell, Arborist

IndyIan

A 346xp would be very nice!  but I've already got a 372 so it would be hard to justify 2 pro saws to my financial manager... :)  We have a few other things to spend $700 or $800 first.  
It sounds like rebocardo has other financial priorities as well.    

GF

I bought a Husq 359 within 1 1/2months the plastic gear that drives the oil pump from clutch was stripped out, only had about 8 hrs on it.  I think when it throws the chain this is what causes it, know of someone else who bought a either a 370 series or 380 series threw his chain and stripped the same gear out.  I would have to think twice before buying another Husqvarna saw.

They did end up sending me a new (plastic) gear and oil pump.  I ended up machining my own gear out of brass and havn't had any problems since, even after throwing the chain.

GF

Correction in the above reply, it was a 395 series that also stipped the plastic gear out of for the oiler, the subject is a page back called "Husqvarna 359 Oiler Plastic Gear".  The last I heard he never received a reply back from Husqvarna on the issue either.

rebocardo

> Also it leaks chain oil quite well.

Hey, maybe it is a Poulan (Wildthing 2375), from what I have seen and heard, they all leak. Mine leaked the worse when you had it on it's side refilling it when it was hot.

Yea, $200 is my price point. I just want to replace the Poulan with something hopefully better for a little more money that is fairly light. I really liked the Poulan, except the extreme pulling it sometimes required.

IndyIan

Well, I got the 141 back.  Works much better now.  Starts and runs off idle much better.  I guess I proved why getting a saw from a dealer instead a big box store might be worth paying a few extra bucks.  They can actually make it run right.
Also the 2 year warranty and life time ignition warranty help as well.  Hopefully I won't use the warranty again for a while :)

DanManofStihl

Yeah my 141 needed adjusting out of the box but after that it ran pretty well. I just perfered the stihl ms 180 over it because well it was a stihl.

sprucebunny

Love my ms 180. Paid $200 at a kinda high priced local store 3 or 4 years ago. And I break everything. Just got a new bar.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanManofStihl

I still have my original bar on mineit has not seen much use most of the thing I cut up I need my 036 or sometimes my 066.

rebocardo

Well, it took me all this time to make up my mind and to budget the money for the purchase.

I bought a MS-180c with a 12" bar from a local dealer, it was not too much more then buying a Husky 136/141 from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. I did like the feel better, plus, I wanted to support my local dealer since it was his store I went to test them (Husky and Stihl) out for feel and balance. Fair is fair.

My first real use was to cut some boards I have been drying, inside my house living room, into a couch. Using my Procut mill, I made some "real" 2x12 and 2x6 from that 48" DBH oak posted earlier up in the thread. I coated the ends with Bailey's end sealer and let it dry. I am sure my wife never thought that wood laying in the way for the last six months drying would ever be out of her way  :D   She likes the couch now too.

The MS-180c worked great for the cutting and shaping and I was actually able to make square ends with it. I have a bit of finishing to do on the couch, once I get a planner I will make the boards truer and rescrew it all back together.  The 2x12s and 2x6 work great with the 3 1/2 deck screws. I think it will take a bit longer for my kids to bust this piece of furniture and they are allowed to jump on it  :D

The kids really love the couch, the seat area is 48x31, and it is 14 inches high on the seat area and the back rest is 38". They love playing under it.

I like being able to gently throttle the saw to slowly cut a small piece of wood without having it yanked into the saw. My arms and back are going to love this saw on the bigger bushy trees such as maples.

Thank you for all the advice, I think it helped me make the best purchase possible for me  8)

StihlCarver046

I also have a ms 180c. I have never practically cut wood with it before. I use it for chainsaw carving as my small saw. I run a 12inch dime tip bar. I like the saw and it has run good in the around 20 tanks I have run through it since I got it. I just always use the 290 or bigger for regular cutting.

Thank You Sponsors!