iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on painting I-beams.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 15, 2019, 01:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I recently installed a bunch of beams in my foundation.

They are going to be exposed to the elements for a couple of months and then we will be building over them.

Maybe I'm just too close to the problem but I just can't figure out what paint would be right for this application. I called Behr directly but unfortunately the "expert" I talked to knows less than I do and was just reading the stats off of the website.

I do plan on cleaning off any rust and wiping them down with mineral spirits before I put on a coat of paint.

So, help me figure out what works best for my outdoor/indoor metal painting task.

Thanks
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Mike W

I personally would use a rust inhibitor such as Permatex or rust oleum.  it takes a couple / few applications, have had great success with it, as you apply multiple coats, you will see the steel turn a dark black color.  It would protect the steel until under cover then you could apply whatever coating you wish as a finished product without worrying about pealing or your temp protection flaking off when the finish is applied after your in the dry.

just my $.02 worth.

alan gage

Steel isn't my strong suit but I'd think the easiest and cheapest option would be to go the local hardware store that the farmers use and buy an oil based paint for tractors and equipment. Bad part would be the longish drying time so you'd need a day of clear weather for each coat.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Bruno of NH

Sherwin Williams has a direct to metal coating that works great no need to prime.
Used it a lot when building a indoor soccer facility. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

I've had good luck with Rust-oleum on projects with I-beams.  Then again, they were never my house and easily touched up :-\  I second the idea of a "tractor" type paint.  Are you gonna spray it on or roll it?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Raider Bill

My Buddy paints high steel bridges. He will only use Sherwin Williams.
He buys it by the tractor trailer load.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

AZ_builder

If it's bare metal you'll want to use an etching paint. If it's red iron then it'll pry be fine as it sits.

moodnacreek

If the steel is completely rusted I would use POR but you can't paint over it.

Thank You Sponsors!