iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions starting up a Nyle L200M

Started by WoodenHead, April 27, 2013, 06:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I finally pieced everything together for my Nyle L200M (wet bulb/dry bulb).  Got it wired, probes setup, baffles in place, samples weighed and power on.  Heat is on, blower is on.  It's coming up to the set temperature now (100 degrees).  When should the compressor be turning on?  Is it normal for the controller to show that humidification is on as the temperature is coming up (especially if I didn't get that option - as far as I know)?  I would phone Nyle, but I don't think they are there on the week-end.  Maybe I should have started at the beginning of the week!

WoodenHead

I re-read the manual and found Appendix 1 that describes the operation of the relays.  Everything seems to be making sense for the most part.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the DH unit is turned on too soon (too cold), then the cold coils will freeze.  So, we need to wait untilt he air temperature is high enough to avoid this problem.  Typically, that will be 80 F, but the manual should give you the best value.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WoodenHead

I waited until the kiln temperature was above 80F before turning on the switch for the compressor.  The wood was going down in moisture content for a while without the compressor on and the temperature of the kiln where it should be.  This confused me a bit.  Once the compressor came on the kiln went too high in temp, so I had to open the vents.  I seem to have found the balance now and things are progressing as they should.

logboy

How do you like your L200M? Is it everything you hoped it would be? Do the probes and control system work well?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

WoodenHead

I like the L200M.  Thinking that our climate is cold enough, I didn't get the automatic vent option.  So I adjust the vents manually depending on temperature.  Sometimes the kiln temp does creep up too high before I know it (even when the temperature outside is below freezing).

The probes work well and seem to provide consistent readings.  The only thing I have some difficulty with is the fact that the controller shuts things down (including heater on) when the temperature of the wood is below zero.  So, to get around that I have alternate heat to raise the temperature of my load to above freezing before turning the controller on.

Thank You Sponsors!