iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

below freezing saw lube

Started by W, January 25, 2005, 06:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W

Now I really want to try diesel fuel.  Does anyone know if the Lube-mizer pump is resistant to petroleum products?   

Percy

From what WM told me, Id have to change pumps if I wanted to use Diesel. The current Lubemizer pumps wont take it apperantly.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

W

Soooo..  I guess I'll go to Sam's and pick up a case of ww fluid.

bberry

Woodmizer Owners- Ask manufacturer to offer or develop a pump that will use both fluids. Can't be too difficult.
     One point in support of water/detergent in non freezing weather-cheap to use!

bberry

Posting here again for the benefit of the Norwood owners and forum members.Good cold weather topic! :)

Lenny_M

In the summer I use 1 Quart of pinesol to 5 Gal. Water.
In the winter I use the same but replace some of the water with Windshield washer fluid. Just enough to keep it from freezing.
  I don`t use it as a lube. Just to keep the pitch from building up on the blade and guides.
  And before changing the blade I`ll  spray on a little sillicon mold release or somethang similar to keep the blades from rusting. Works great
                                                    Lenny

WH_Conley

Summer time I use about a cup of pinesol, the cheap stuff and a little automatic dishwashing soap, get ready to take blade off, turn water on high and hit the blade with a LONG handled wire brush on both sides. No more sap on blades to interfere with setting. If the weather is too cold for water I usually don't use anything, if logs are froze not too much problem with sap anyhow until the blade starts to get dull and heat up, time to take it off anyhow. Never tried oil, never had call to, it must work because too many people have used it with success.
Bill

FiremanEd

Quote from: leweee on January 27, 2005, 08:39:21 AMps. if windshield washer fluid would work I'd use it . ;D

windshield washer mixed 50/50 with water works great. I started using diesel and yes it does work great and a drum would last a month but water and wwfluid is a lot cheaper even using 4x's as much. I got tired of smelling like diesel all the time. pure water in summer then mix if 50/50 is good down to 10f. 60/40 is good to below zero.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

FiremanEd

Quote from: Percy on February 05, 2005, 12:22:48 PM
From what WM told me, Id have to change pumps if I wanted to use Diesel. The current Lubemizer pumps wont take it apperantly.

It's not the pump. It's the hose. Yes technically it's not rated for oil but a whole lot of WM owners run diesel through theirs without any trouble. If it does crack down the road get a section of "ice maker tubing" from your hardware store, 1/4" nylon hose. That's all it is and WM uses those neat puch together connectors so it only takes a few minutes to replace damages tubing. The flojet pump will pump most anything you put in it, it's got viton seals so there's no hazard to the pump.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

bberry

Good points brought out by both sides of the issue. There are other posts at the other two forums dealing with the pro's and con's. I like the idea that the oil based lube sticks and coats better preventing buildup of sap/pitch. Keeps the rust away also. Also cools.If you are getting stains then you are using a faulty delivery system. I use less in my mill than I do in my chainsaw!

Coon

WH_Conley has the same idea that I started using this past summer with the long handled wire brush.  A simple cleaning of the blade using the brush and water will save you time when it comes to setting and sharpening.  Time is money.
  What I do under most normal circumstances is use straight water during the summer months. I do not see any need in using oils and detergents to keep the blade cool and to remove pitch.  Chances are that if your blade is getting hot then it is either getting dull and is time for a change out or  You are pushing the mill through the cut too DanG fast.  Do you ever see a circular mill use lube.  Very seldom.  In winter months I do not use any water as it is not needed in the species that I saw.  With other species I generally use water with about a cup of Isopropyl Alcohol per lube tank.  The Isoprpyl Alcohol is used just so the water does not freeze as fast.  In winter months all one needs to do when using water is to keep a steady flow of water flowing at all times to prevent the tranfer line from freezing.  Once finished I take the lube tank off and take it into the house or garage. 
:D :D ;D ;D
Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!