iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to the dark side

Started by Splinter, January 30, 2009, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinter

Sorry guys going over to the dark side smiley_devil
Poking holes in my maples to make syrup.
At least now I have a use for my cull wood.

Dean

timberfaller390

We'll forgive you as long as you send everybody a quart of syrup.  ;D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Sawyerfortyish

Well about a week ago I had to start my gas powered hole poker just to hear it run. I'll be hooking the IV up to my maples in about 2 weeks. I love to watch em bleed. ;D

Splinter

Quote from: Sawyerfortyish on January 30, 2009, 12:46:37 PM
Well about a week ago I had to start my gas powered hole poker just to hear it run. I'll be hooking the IV up to my maples in about 2 weeks. I love to watch em bleed. ;D

Look at your weather. If it was me I'd drill 'em tonight.

pasbuild

Aren't ya pushin it a little  ???  like by two months
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Left Coast Chris

I finished pruning my fruit trees last week.  After I was done I removed a lower branch on our 4 year old Silver Maple yard tree.  Never saw such bleeding from a tree.   Is the sap from a Silver Maple any good?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

It's sugar maple and black maple. I don't think silver is any good, except they also "bleed".
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don K

I have a silver maple and last week a little woodpecker was tapping it . I checked it out and he had a bunch of holes all the way around the trunk and it was pouring sap. Sapsucker is a well earned name. :)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Sawyerfortyish

They do tap silver maples it takes more sap to make a gallon. Also reds to but the syrup from them alone i'm told has a bit of a bitter taste. Depending on the weather out look I tap every year after Valentines day. They have already tapped in Virgina-West virgina-Maryland and southern PA. The weather is still to cold here but in a couple weeks or so it can make a big differance. If I wait 2 months the frost and snow will be long gone (I hope) and grass will start to green up here.

Gary_C

I have tapped Boxelder before too, and it was just a little darker syrup but very good. Probably does take a little more sap.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Splinter

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on January 30, 2009, 10:32:48 PM
I finished pruning my fruit trees last week.  After I was done I removed a lower branch on our 4 year old Silver Maple yard tree.  Never saw such bleeding from a tree.   Is the sap from a Silver Maple any good?

silver can make decent syrup.
its known for very high sugar content (less boiling).

twobears

shoot splinter..i won,t disown ya..matter of fact a little piece of me dies everytime a good maple tree is cut down..what a waste!!
i growup involved in sugarin and i,de tap every maple in my area if i could.we used to tap 3100 now we have 1300.the 3100 was on my uncles land and between a ice storm and a windstorm we lost most of them.my dad bought 180 acres and last year we tapped it for the first time.we made alittle over 300 gallons of that awesome syrup..  ;D

delbert

The-Burl-Hunter

has anyone heard of birch syrup... because in a fruit tree catalog that I just received i saw that they offered birch syrup, not sure how good it might be but just thought I would ask you guys if you have ever heard of it?,
I am also interested in tapping some maple trees for syrup, anyone reccommend any good books for starters on reading up on the subject thank-you very much... I just love this forum 8)  8) very awsome thanks

Thank You Sponsors!