iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 090

Started by johnmetz33, January 03, 2008, 04:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I noticed that someone said that Stihl stopped making them a while ago. Just so you know, down here we can still buy them new. Yes, new. I think they are still made, just not sold in the USA.

Not sure though but I have one we bought back in 2004 I believe (loosing track)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ianab

Quote from: aggiewoodbutchr on January 24, 2008, 09:51:35 PM
Like this?

PS-  Can you see the image?  All I see on my end is a link box.

The image is in your gallery OK, just the link wasn't put in quite right.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: crtreedude on January 25, 2008, 04:24:55 AM
I noticed that someone said that Stihl stopped making them a while ago. Just so you know, down here we can still buy them new. Yes, new. I think they are still made, just not sold in the USA.

Not sure though but I have one we bought back in 2004 I believe (loosing track)

Yup they are still available here in NZ too.. but EXPENSIVE

I suspect they aren't making them any more, but there is still stock available.

The original 090 may have been discontinued in 84, but I suspect the 090AV model was probably still made after 2000.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

crtreedude

Yes, it is the 090 AV that we have.

Dave Shepard

Nice collection aggie! 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

aggiewoodbutchr

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 25, 2008, 10:16:16 PM
Nice collection aggie! 8)

Dave

Thanks-  I have a few more on the way.  It's addictive...:)

Stihl_Sam

G'day John

The 090 av is very good and for the person that said here you can't buy them in north america you can they are appparently now made to order  a friend of mine works in Portland and just purchased a brand new one for about $1500 US dollars I maybe wrong if I'm correct AUS dollars would be different I think, anyway you can still buy The 404 ripping chain becauuse I have a roll of it at home we call it skipping chain over hear which means instead or sharpening all the teeth you would only have to sharpen say 50 or 60 teeth for it to still cut effecttively just getting back to the saw itself you can purchase them with a chain brake you may have to pay a little more but Manufacturer suggests that you only use them for milling operations I own a 090 av and it is fantastic I use it say 20 times a year and plus this website is great to we don't have anything like this in australia Cheers mate

Sam

sawguy21

Welcome aboard StihlSam. I work for a Stihl dealer and we are no longer able to (legally) import the 090 although I get requests for them. One might be able to sneak them in under the radar as a used or re conditioned saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

Welcome Stihl_Sam! What do you do with your Stihls, milling, logging?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

olyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 15, 2008, 12:01:53 AM
Welcome aboard StihlSam. I work for a Stihl dealer and we are no longer able to (legally) import the 090 although I get requests for them. One might be able to sneak them in under the radar as a used or re conditioned saw.
wonder if you couldnt order one from someone over the water--and send it as "parts" saw,   i/e remove a bunch of parts--but put them in the same box--i/e a "disassembled" saw  ;D ;D

crtreedude

Is it really all that special? Isn't there a 088 if I recall correctly that isn't much smaller?

Stihl_Sam

G'day dave

Yeah I do a bit of logging But my proper full time job is a apprentice fitter for Vermeer Australia I own in the way of saws an stihl 090 av 066 magnum a 046 magnum and a ms 200 and I also own an lucas mill but am in the process of selling it because some of the trees arnt big enough over hear to cut The Big ones are The Gum trees i live in the sb tropical part of australia in Brisbane The further south you go the bigger the trees we have alot of hardwoods over hear But our forestry over hear mainly consists of really bad pine or wat we call building pine they also grow it for chip and they sell it off to make wood products Plus the the epa has really put its foot down with wat u can cut and wat u cant cut but I would be very keen to come to america and work in this industry I'm also looking at competing in the stihl timber sports.

Cheers

SwingOak

My brother has two 089's he uses with his 100" Sperber mill. They work OK, but he says the 090's are better.

olyman

090's have-----TORQUE. way down low......they are heavy, but they sure sure do cut!!!!

Woodchuck53

Evening guys, Stihl__Sam you may be just the guy I'm looking for. It took me 6mths. to find a chain for my 090G. I bought it to cut some 60" red oak thet had blowed over at the church after Katrina. The fellow church members had wittled it down, limbs and all still 3' in dia. by the time they called me. I rented this saw for the 5' bar. Did a fine job but I was the only hard head that could stay with it. That's a heavy saw. The shop had 3 of them and made me a super deal on the one I rented taking off the rent price and throwing in a six pack of oil. I should of figured out a way to buy all three. Anyway I will cut anything standing to bring home and thought a 3' bar would be nice to have. I have an older 038 aluminum 30" bar and an 039 with a 24" bar. Sometimes you need a little more right? So I finally found a pc. of a spool in an old timers shop and bought all he had plus master links. I would really like to find a spool or buy some length from some body's supply. Any one interested? I am a part time circle saw turner and am in the process of totally rebuilding it to get it off all wood. Steel and concrete so maybe it will stay in alignment. You guys have a great day I got to go back to work. Chuck.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Stihl_Sam

G'day chuck
Just read your reply these  are the 2 types of chain I use and these are current model chains of the stihl site USA and I have
4 rolls of this chain 2 '404' and '3/8' I have 2 types because just as back ups buut thats just me Chuck surely uu would be able to get these chains in the states if you are cutting larger trees the 404 is good but the 3/8 is just as good for day to day work again if you are cutting larger and harder stuff the 404 also swaping and changing siize chains of course you are going to also have to change the sprocket over and I allways use The STIHL ROLLOMATIC® ES Super bars thats just moe each to there own
Cheers mate
P.S
these listed chains I use as I said Both come in 3/8 and 404
OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super L Full Skip Klassic (RSLFK)
OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Full Skip (RSF)

Woodchuck53

Hey Sam, The changing the sproket business is what has me here. There is no sprockets avaliable for the thing. The chain is a 1/2" 63 gage according to the only shop that had a pc on an old spool. No info on the spool and this being a second generation shop no one to talk to really. I use it only for really big stuff but never go into the woods by my self with out 2 saws. So I take it with me and end up using it more than I should. It's heavy really powerful and did I say heavy. So I'm afraid once I burn thru this chain then that's all folks. It makes short work of everything I touch though. I rotate home soon and will get some more info from what I've got. Four shops in Louisiana can't order it and the Oregon rep. that specked out replacement chain was way off so they took it back. So thats where I am for now. We have a mechanic here from Perth I think so I could read your stuff after listening to Chris. Have a good one, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

sawguy21

1/2" chain ??? That is for harvesters. .404 sprockets and bar tips should be readily available and all you really would need. IMHO, 3/8 would be too light for that brute.

Stihl_Sam

Ive seen and heard bout that 1/2inch chain on harvesters a mate of mine owns one of those komatsu valmets and hhe use's a oreagon harvester bar and 404 but yeah i must loook into this 1/2 inch stuff neva seen it

Stihl_Sam

Chuck i think i may have found  a solution for your problem send me an email and I will give you he details to a shop in melbourne australia also that last post was a stuff up I've heard of it but neva seen it this shop i will give you details for supplies granberg saw supplies if you are interested

Stihl_Sam

Chuck have you tryed baileys online at all

Woodchuck53

Hey Sam, yeah I've bought a few things (bailey's) including the 36" bar I put on. That was where I ran into problems with the shops fitting chain. I have one chain now so am not in a huge bind but will like to keep working on this. Contact me chuckvoorhies@bp.com All info will be appreciated. Thanks Chuck

Stihl_Sam

hey guys

Could anyone tell me is there such a thing as a stihl 092 av chainsaw

sawguy21

No, there were 032 and 042AV's among others.

TexasTimbers

I wasn't exactly happy with the full comp zero° WP ripping chain I was using on my 60" bar. I thought my 395XP just lacked a little power. Turns out it had plenty of power . . . .

It must have. I mean, how else could it have pulled that 0.63 chain around that 0.58 bar, all the way through those big red oak crotches?  ::)

No. I ain't kidding. Sort of explains the smoke coming of the bar by the time I was done. I did order 0.58 and just assumed that's what I got. Never did notice the little "75" stamped on the drive links. Guess I was seeing "73" in my head.

I doubt I am the only one to have ever done this, but I am probably one of the few to voluntarily fess up. You can't accuse me of being too prideful (or very bright) that's for sure.  :P
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!